Pacific Rim

i still dont get the 2 minds synchronised part.
they both do the same thing in every trailer i see. why cant it be just 1 person?

According to the explanation by Guillermo Del Toro it's a necessity, something about the interface being too much for a single person to handle or something along those lines. Basically, it's not the workload so much as it would be a systems overload type thing for one to handle a Jaeger by themselves. Also, even though we see the two pilots operating in synch with each other in the trailers that's not always the case, (once again according to Del Toro) each pilot actually handles one side of the Jaeger so one is responsible for working the left leg and left arm while the other is responsible for the right.

I dunno, it's weird. Reading the posts here, I thought, yeah, a big updated Toho-type movie.. could be fun. Maybe I should give these big dumb popcorn movies a go. Enjoyed the first half of the trailer - the big footprint and stuff. But then as the monster-thing was waving the boat around I just felt this giant wave of fatigue wash over me. Guess I'll pass.

I think some people look at these types of movies a little too seriously. I mean cmon, the boat buckling in on itself? They did it because it looks cool. Quit denying your inner child, we are on a prop making forum for gods sake. This movie looks freaking awesome, its giant robots, vs giant godzilla monsters. Who cares if the writing sucks, the battle scenes are all anyway is going to care about. Youre telling me when you were a kid you actually watched a Godzilla movie?! You are SUPPOSED to fast forward to the fight scenes! I dont know, Im more excited about this movie than I am about anything else over the summer. I dont think there is anyway I can be let down from this movie considering the concept, who is making it, and what they have already shown.

When I saw the trailer, i thought it was Evangelion made by american lol

Envoyé depuis mon GT-I8190 avec Tapatalk

I think some people look at these types of movies a little too seriously. I mean cmon, the boat buckling in on itself? They did it because it looks cool. Quit denying your inner child, we are on a prop making forum for gods sake. This movie looks freaking awesome, its giant robots, vs giant godzilla monsters. Who cares if the writing sucks, the battle scenes are all anyway is going to care about. Youre telling me when you were a kid you actually watched a Godzilla movie?! You are SUPPOSED to fast forward to the fight scenes! I dont know, Im more excited about this movie than I am about anything else over the summer. I dont think there is anyway I can be let down from this movie considering the concept, who is making it, and what they have already shown.

Actually, it was the battle stuff that made me feel like going to sleep. I did enjoy the first few fight shots, but then, surprisingly even to me, my interest began to flag. Probably something to do with the incessant overkill - everything goes flat very quickly. Also, much of it revived hideous memories of the Emmerich Godzilla mess. But anyway, it's no biggie - enjoy the movie when it comes out. As for denying my inner child...er, yeah, tell my GF that. I'm sure she'd agree with you!

...not exactly teal & orange.

1.JPG2.JPG3.JPG4.JPG5.JPG6.JPG7.JPG8.JPG9.JPG10.JPG11.JPG

That last group shot is actually yellow similar to Del Toro's style also seen in his Hellboy films. Those outdoor scenes especially with Jaegers are mostly actual orange/yellow due to the source light being made to reflect there, unlike other T & O films where it's orange merely due to the contrast adjustment. Again in most teal & orange films the skin tones or background environment end up having the orange hue without any real colored light reflection, I just don't see it here. In fact I do feel there is a nice aesthetic look to Pacific Rim. But I can understand why anybody might still consider it to be the same due to some similarities.

Last edited:
Yeah, I have to agree. A few shots are teal and orange, but most are blue or yellow, which is odd, but definitely del.Toro's style.

I'm hoping this film is good. There's not been one film that I've disliked from Del Toro. Yes I even liked Chronos. In fact Chronos was the first Del Toro film I watched way back when. I like gears and here's hoping this one will have plenty of them. I'm also hoping they merge all the countries together to make one monster robot. I do like China's one.

...even if they are, the ship could not be used like that, it would buckle from its own weight as soon as the mech picked it up. Can't swing those things no matter how big you are!
All true; a big enough *wave* can buckle some modern ships. And I don't care. :lol

I also still think the footage of the pilots looks ridiculous, like they're doing synchronized stairmaster demos. :lol

This is so very true I'm wondering whether it is intentional. I laugh out loud each time. Still don't care. I can't wait. :lol

To me there are better movies than this coming out this year but I hope they make the fight sequences as awesome as they do in the trailer

I really want to see this.
Being an old Neon Genesis Evangelion fan, I think this is the closest we'll get to live action movie.
It's like invading Godzillas from outerspace, meet some hardened human steel.
YEAH!!!!
Time to get smashed by the long arm of the human race.
YEAH!!
(sorry, i get carried away sometimes)

This thread is more than 10 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back