Longmire

I'm not sure where to start!

Well the first novel of the series is titled, "The Cold Dish" and it seems to have been the basis for one of the mysteries in S1 but not the first episode at all. So far it sets up the world pretty well but it's more.... real, I'd have to say. The F word is used liberally in the first 20 pages so far.... and a few of the main characters have slight name changes and differences than the show.
So far, it's damn good. I look forward to exploring this world more. I won't lie when I say that I still see the actors in their roles in my head as I read it.

Seems there's 19 novels so far... usually with a series like this I lose interest about 5 books in, so we'll see how this goes.

...Seems there's 19 novels so far... usually with a series like this I lose interest about 5 books in, so we'll see how this goes.
I had that problem at times when I decided to read Edgar Rice Burroughs' Tarzan novels. I'd read four or five in a row, then begin to lose interest so I'd take a break. When my interest was renewed, I'd pick up where I left off. Eventually I finished all 25 of them, including a manuscript that went unfinished when Burroughs died but was completed by Joe R. Lansdale and published in 1995. It took more than a few years, but I can think of worse ways to occupy my spare time.

I had that problem at times when I decided to read Edgar Rice Burroughs' Tarzan novels. I'd read four or five in a row, then begin to lose interest so I'd take a break. When my interest was renewed, I'd pick up where I left off. Eventually I finished all 25 of them, including a manuscript that went unfinished when Burroughs died but was completed by Joe R. Lansdale and published in 1995. It took more than a few years, but I can think of worse ways to occupy my spare time.

You have a point, maybe I should revisit some of the series I've slacked off on.... speaking of a series I've slacked off on.... I love Lansdale's "Hap and Leonard" series. I'm about three books in so far, TV series isn't half bad either.

So far the first Longmire is great. Walt seems to be less of a boy scout in the book. Vic is much more prickly and Turk (TV - Branch) Connally seems way more of a ******. I'm enjoying it a lot. I'm interested to see how much the books and TV series differ from each other especially the Malachi and Irish mob part (if it's even in the books at all)

Here's a question for the group..... why do you think a writer makes up a town instead of just using the actual town they base it on? Is it just for literary freedom or possibly to avoid any prosecution?

I’ve been inspired to update my Longmire badge. When I did my initial castings, there just had regular decals. I since removed the center emblem and replaced it with a decal within a clear resin bubble. I might put up an interest thread again with the updated badge.

A53E7C97-F4B5-4BCA-BA0F-A18B1D649CA9.jpeg

Here's a question for the group..... why do you think a writer makes up a town instead of just using the actual town they base it on? Is it just for literary freedom or possibly to avoid any prosecution?

As a writer, I've mostly based my books in real locations. Though I reserve the right to take liberties with the locations in question, I still work really hard to make sure that they remain true to the areas I choose to utilize. Making up an entirely new location is, I would imagine, a way to avoid those constraints and do whatever you want without worrying about people going "That's not my town!" when you use something that actually exists.

I'm on page 259 now of the first Longmire novel. So far.... wow. Also, already ordered the second novel.

It's like I'm reading a autobiography of an actual sheriff named Walt Longmire and the TV show was just a PG version of his life. Really loving it. some interesting differences.

I’ve been inspired to update my Longmire badge. When I did my initial castings, there just had regular decals. I since removed the center emblem and replaced it with a decal within a clear resin bubble. I might put up an interest thread again with the updated badge.

View attachment 783487

I will definitely be interested...... I will confess, now that I'm reading the books I might be a bit obsessed now...

This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back