Found Falcon Nava Chair Ejection Seat

Stormy320

Sr Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
After looking for three years I finally came across a Martin Baker MK4 ejection seat that I will use to make the Nav Chair inside the Falcon.

The same seats are also located in the cockpit behind Han and Chewi's seats.

I'm looking forward to this project, which I plan to start on next year.

I don't think it will be too tough and if anyone has any ideas of what to use for the round base on the chair or anything else - let me know.

Also - please post good reference photos.

Isnt that the top part that extends to make sort of a headrest? I can't quite picture it in my head right now.

Yeah, it looks like the headrest for the Falcon. But surely that isn't a complete seat, is it? Looks kinda cool, but it also looks like there's a lot of work ahead. What kind of work is involved in bringing it up to a seat looking Falcon chair???

Great piece.
Were you able to get the rest of the seat?

Now you need a tupperware lid like on the Sandtrooper backpack to go on the seat back.
I think that's the only other known part.

Chris - thanks for the tupperware tip - any idea on where to find one...or is that the trick?

It was a complete seat, but due to the expense and difficulty of shipping, I only purchased this part. The rest of the actual ejection seat was not used.

Here is what needs to be done.

Weld pipe on bottom to attach to base and weld piece to make the chair part. Finally make wood backing and cover, make cushions, and wood arm rest.

Any ideas on how to make the banding on the seat back would be appreciated.

The cushions are the same tan padding that is all over the Falcon.

I know it's easier said than done

<div class='quotetop'>(dcarty @ Oct 22 2006, 06:48 PM) [snapback]1343089[/snapback]</div>
And where on earth do you find something like that???

Cheers,

Dave C
[/b]

Let's just say it wasn't easy. Also, unless you find a U.S. ejection seat junky, these things are not here. So everyone in the U.K. has a big advantage.

From what I can tell this seat was never used in any U.S. military aircraft.

Also - there is a good picture of the seat on page 73 in The Art of Star Wars.

<div class='quotetop'>(Stormy320 @ Oct 23 2006, 04:33 AM) [snapback]1343151[/snapback]</div>
Chris - thanks for the tupperware tip - any idea on where to find one...or is that the trick?
[/b]

The Tupperware lid is that round disc in the center of the dark ridged section just below the ejection seat head (see AoSW p.73 pic).
It should be very easy to find, Tupperware still makes 'em plus you can pick up vintage ones on Ebay all the time.
I don't know the exact size or name of the pitcher it comes on (I know there are 2 sizes), but I'm sure that info is around. Braks Buddy would know for sure since it's a Sandtrooper thing.

PS - That's one of the coolest pieces of vintage aircraft scrap I've seen since the IG-88 head.

That's a nice find. It'll make a very interesting and unique project - good luck :)

A few years ago I met the bloke who supplied the ejection seats for the falcon set, along with a lot of aircarft parts that he either sold or loaned to Elstree for dressing. I talked to him about types of seat on behalf of someone who was planning to doing the same as you, not sure he ever achieved it though, the stuff's incredibly hard to come by apparently.

Jeremy

I don't evny your work ahead but look forward to the end result.

It looks heavy, does this mean you will have to bolt it to the floor to stop it tipping over?

Excellent find.
When you get around to starting the work, take measurements. I'd love to get the dimensions so I can scratchbuild the major components since I'm sure I'll never find a real one, let alone 3 of them.

This is all I've got. Must be others around here.

[IMAGE]http://img272.imageshack.us/img272/1474/falconcockpitesb4ne.jpg[/IMAGE]
[IMAGE]http://img286.imageshack.us/img286/4040/falconcockpit5yi.jpg[/IMAGE]

Good luck with your project. :thumbsup

Between work and finishing up R2, I haven't been able to start on this project yet.

I have many ideas on how I'm going to complete it, but if anyone has thoughts on how to build the flower pot base, I would love to hear them.

I was trying to post a picture of the original chair from the DVD but it says I only have 13.6 k left. I don't know how that could be. Does anyone know any free software for MACs that is good at shrinking photos?

Also, I will be happy to pass along dimensions.

Sorry to bump this thread so far, but some of the pics have disappeared.
Has anyone got good shots of a MB Mk IV seat? I have a project in mind and I'd like to see how much work would be involved.
Or for that matter, any good clear shots of the seats in place in the Falcon's cockpit.
Thanks for any help!

Sorry to bump this thread so far, but some of the pics have disappeared.
Has anyone got good shots of a MB Mk IV seat? I have a project in mind and I'd like to see how much work would be involved.
Or for that matter, any good clear shots of the seats in place in the Falcon's cockpit.
Thanks for any help!

Here is a picture. I hope to post some more pictures of my seet in the next few weeks :$.

I have an F4 ejection seat that is not the correct one for the NAV chair for sale if anyone is interested.

This thread is more than 14 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back