Original ILM Studio Scale X-Wings-How many? (Archive please)

PHArchivist

Master Member
I can account for:

Red 1--SW Tech Journal
Red 2--Best of LFL Arcvhives
Red 3--Art of SW
Red 5--MIA

Was there a Red 4 built by ILM?

Were there any others by ILM?

Mods, this is a repeat from the SSM Forum. Delete if you must, but I posted here due to traffic. The SSMF is pretty stagnant these days.

I read in another thread about someone in Japan having an original Red 5. Anyone know what I am talking about?

BobaFlint would probably know. Good luck.
icon_smile.gif

</SPAN><TABLE BORDER=0 ALIGN=CENTER WIDTH=85%><TR><TD CLASS=$row_color>
robstyle wrote:
<HR></TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS=$row_color>
Have you tried posting this in the modeling forum?

</TD></TR><TR><TD><HR></TD></TR></TABLE><SPAN CLASS=$row_color>

Yeah... But a tumbleweed blew by me while over there...
icon_wink.gif

Also, I should specify: I'm asking about the 1/24 scale models...

I remember reading that at the end of filming, all they had left was one Y wing and two X wings. The final shot of them flying away from the death star is all the models they had left - they'd blown everything else up.

</SPAN><TABLE BORDER=0 ALIGN=CENTER WIDTH=85%><TR><TD CLASS=$row_color>
Darth Blyad wrote:
<HR></TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS=$row_color>
I remember reading that at the end of filming, all they had left was one Y wing and two W wings. The final shot of them flying away from the death star is all the models they had left - they'd blown everything else up.
</TD></TR><TR><TD><HR></TD></TR></TABLE><SPAN CLASS=$row_color>

Which may explain why the Best of LFL Archives bok only shows the two 1/24 models.

Were any new 1/24 X's built for ESB or ROTJ?

That's not a studio prop. That X-Wing looks like one of the AMT models. The turkeyfeathers on the engines are not right, but they match up with the AMT kit. There is glass in the canopy and there are details on the back that are just not right. It has Red 3 markings and I can tell you that is not the paint job that Red 3 has.

That X-Wing was restored and the model maker made a few changes to the paint job as per the instructions of the original owner.

Also it came from an active ILM model maker. The canopy is correct as well, they put some glass canopies on for display. It's just taped inside the frame and was for display purposes during the ILM Japanese prop tour.

You can pick that one apart until you are blue in the face, but it's as real as they get and I wish I had had the money when it was up for sale.

Paul

cool info Paul.... is this the same guy/people who's/who've got an original Cantina alien? (still holdin my breath for some pics
icon_smile.gif
)

tom

oh mamma! ok, i'm officially really REALLY jealous right now !

n03.jpg

Paul, please do LMK if you took some better pics of this one when u were there!

tom

I do have better pics and the awesome thing about that mask is it's signed by Rick Baker on the acrylic base.

I played with it a little and it's still very durable after all these years.

But I doubt I will post any photos.

Paul

Its not nit picking, its pointing out obvious flaws. Ifit is a restoration then it is a poor one. The very definition of restoration is to make it look like it originally did. Not add things that were not there or change the paint scheme. The only X-Wing ILM added a 'glass' canopy to was the 6 ft. X-Wing that was made just for ROTJ. Just because it may have come from an ILM model maker does not make it a studio used model. Again that X-Wing has three stripes on the wings implying that it was the same Red # from the movie. It is not. That is not the Red 3 that is a the LFL archives.

You know guys I really don't care to argue over something that's not even mine.

Anyway S.G.and J.E. both wrote letters and say it authentic and that all anyone needs. The originator also wrote a nice letter as well, what more do you want?

It's always the nitpickers and self proclaimed experts that know everything, not the model makers or original artists.
icon_biggrin.gif

Oh yeah that original R.B. mask is really a Don Post he passed off as his own work.
icon_lol.gif

Paul

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back