Inexpensive 5 days built ►Foam Iron Man Mk IV◄

Last edited:
Do you have any close up photos of areas like the side of the neck and other connecting areas?

Doing the upper torso armor now.. Any close ups of that front, back and sides?

Last edited:
Do you have any close up photos of areas like the side of the neck and other connecting areas?

Doing the upper torso armor now.. Any close ups of that front, back and sides?

I've built this one last month, you'll find among the following some pics of the parts you pointed :

Great photos which will help with the MK iv but what about the VII?

Also what about the huge overlaping pieces on the sides of the chest armor? Is there a fix on that?

HugeOverlap.jpg

Last edited:
Great photos which will help with the MK iv but what about the VII?
Well you may find such pics browsing the impressive batch of threads about a mkVII build:thumbsup. I haven't built it myself so far.

Also what about the huge overlaping pieces on the sides of the chest armor? Is there a fix on that?

View attachment 187107

I often advise to refer to the 3D view in case of doubt. Obviously it won't work if you have doubts about the 3D view itself... These three pieces truly overlap one each other. ;)

One really noob question I have is, when do you know when you're supposed to cut an angle on a part, and is it always going to be a 45 degree angle?

Well you may find such pics browsing the impressive batch of threads about a mkVII build:thumbsup. I haven't built it myself so far.

I often advise to refer to the 3D view in case of doubt. Obviously it won't work if you have doubts about the 3D view itself... These three pieces truly overlap one each other. ;)

Ok its overlapped and going to use more glue to get it to look right but ok.. Had no idea the overlapping was literaly that extreme. Now to figure how to get the upper torso armor to fit right.. Its kind of fighting me at the moment...

I think this mkVII is the trickiest one, and overall the hardest to reach cleanly. Bravo to everyone who succeed in this build.

One really noob question I have is, when do you know when you're supposed to cut an angle on a part, and is it always going to be a 45 degree angle?

I think you'll find some clarification ->here<-, from "Cut all your foam parts first with no particular angle, some quite right angles would go well, and then, only while assembling, you can adjust inclination edge after edge..." and below...

"Cut all your foam parts first with no particular angle, some quite right angles would go well, and then, only while assembling, you can adjust inclination edge after edge..."

The problem is that it's a much cleaner cut when it's done straight from the large piece of foam. Adding an angled cut later usually (unless you're really good at this) leads to a botched cut that doesn't look clean.

It's true.
On the other hand, it's hard to guess which will be the good angle if you can't try a simulation from your already cutted foam pieces... I think you pointed one of the main brainstormings about foam builds. ^^

I started my first ever attempt at anything like this using these templates last month. I run my own business so build when I have a bit of quiet time at work.
So far I've finished the majority of the upper body although I do plan on re doing the chest piece (this was the first part I built and was using a different type of foam) and most likely also the back parts of the abs. You can see the arms for example are much cleaner and neater then the chest I think this is partly down to the different foam but also from having gained a little experience as the builds gone on in how to glue pieces etc.
The helmet is half finished I still have the back of it to complete which hopefully I'll do tomorrow. Hoping to get the cod and neck pieces done next week and hopefully make a start on the legs. I have all my templates cut out and the neck and cod are cut it in foam waiting to be glued.
I've used Stealths methods from his YouTube tutorials for joining the parts.
For the elbow joints I found some plastic safety doll joints on ebay which are very similar to those in this thread, I believe they're used for joints when making dolls and bears.
I've been using these foam camping mats from Amazon:
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Yellowstone-Camping-Foam-Mat-Blue/dp/B002ZF63XG/ I've bought a few different types and found these to be the best cheap mats available although B&M do similar ones for £2.50 but unfortunately stopped stocking them due camping season in the U.K being nearly over I bought the last one they had in our store.
I bought an exacto knife and have found it useful for certain things but I've found it much easier using scissors for the majority of my cuts.

Anyway here's pics of my progress so far:

Back.jpg
Front.jpg
helmet.jpg

Big thanks to JF for making these excellent simple templates!

Got the Collar/lower neck seal finished along with the remainder of the helmet today, pretty happy with the outcome of the helmet.

20130907_142502.jpg

20130907_142518.jpg

And then I decided to give the whole suit so far a test fit :lol

20130907_143501.jpg

The helmets very tight and is too small so I'll have to up the scale and start over.

Last edited:
I don't really want to make a thread for my build seems as its over half complete and its a pretty poor quality build so if people don't mind I'll post in here?

On Monday I used what down time I had at work to print off new templates cut them out and put together a new 20% larger helmet its a much better fit but this roll of foam despite being the same brand wasn't as dense and was a little floppy so I'm not sure I'm 100% happy with this helmet, I've ordered more foam which is arriving today so I may check this and if there is some less floppy foam I may do yet another helmet.

If I do decide to do another helmet build I'm thinking seems as I already need to redo the chest plate that I could use both the old helmet and old chest plate to create a Zombie Iron Man suit.

On Tuesday I glued together the Cod piece which I'd already cut out last week and then I made a sort of cardboard mannequin torso so I could get a look at this thing and make some modifications which I couldn't do unless it was all together.
I then added in some strips to the straps of the back piece so it joins up better with the chest and fills in the gaps on show.

I'm pretty happy with what I have so far, its not great but my cuts and gluing have improved 100% since I started this thing and I feel I'm getting much better at this now.
20130911_103816.jpg

My foam didn't arrive until late today and I only had enough for one part so didn't start on the legs as I want to do the left and right parts at the same time so instead I used what I had left for the new chest plate.
Looking at this compared to old one shows me how much better I've got at this, I'm really please with the result of the new chest.
Also did a little more fiddling with the attachments of the pieces and added some velcro in a few places.

20130911_161704.jpg20130911_161807.jpg

My next update will be when I've made a good bit of progress on the legs, I plan starting on transferring the templates to the foam tomorrow of all parts of the legs and cutting them out.

Well I'm now pretty much finished with the building part of mine now, got one boot left to do and the gloves and hand plates.
I have some 5mm foam for the glove palm but need to get some 3mm foam for the fingers.
I cam across a guy here in the UK selling some very well priced detailed light up Arc Reactors so decided to pick one of those up.

945972_10152669225678475_2026795961_n.jpg
1236582_10152669225613475_485773801_n.jpg

This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back