Inexpensive 5 days built ►Foam Iron Man Mk IV◄

Re: Inexpensive 5 days built Foam Iron Man Mk IV

I second this!!!!!!
I'll be here soon...

ult.gif

Last edited:

I have an odd question for you.

I'm assuming that the templates are scaled for yourself, so what is your height/weight. I'm wondering if I have to scale them or if it is close enough.

If it helps, I have to scale it to 24 in general, some parts need a bit more tweaking but otherwise 24 works ok, a bit tight sometimes actually, but 25 is too much. It is usually set on 23 when you open the files.
I'm a solid 6'1, just under 6'2 and average to large frame with 180 lbs.

I was passing by, I saw a light... I built.

Around here almost everyone does better.
Not so fast, I must concede, but much better.

The worst is now that my children are on holydays, I have even no time enough to build fast anymore !

Absolutely LOVE what you did and would like to make a suit myself. Im having troubles finding the right matting you used in the states though. Especially at the price shown in the link you posted 8(. ALl im finding is matting thats 15-20 dollars! What type of glue did you use to stick the foam together?

It is the cheapest basical noname flexible hot glue I found, sold for something like 5$ a pound. You can see a part of the package on the very first pic.
For this suit I used a wole pound.

The fact that I can just download the rar is a huge help. I'm about 6' feet tall with the same build, do you think I'll have to resize anything?

Absolutely LOVE what you did and would like to make a suit myself. Im having troubles finding the right matting you used in the states though. Especially at the price shown in the link you posted 8(. ALl im finding is matting thats 15-20 dollars! What type of glue did you use to stick the foam together?

Go to Yoga Mats, Exercise Mat, Polyethylene Foam, Yoga Mat, Exercise Mats and choose. 25inch or whichever size thickness you want. Just make sure your ordering Eva foam

Absolutely loving these tips and files!

I'm planning to start building my own armor using these files next week, but I was wondering what I'd have to scale the files to, as I'm 170 cms tall, and I'm sure the suit won't fit me if I don't modify it first.

I was originally trying to do the Mark III, with other files. But school and stuff has gotten in the way. Your modified Robo3867 Mark IV files are awesome and will help a lot! Your tips are very helpful. I will definitely follow your thread.

Amazing build!
I saw a guy this weekend with a foam Iron Man suit.

No doubt made from or at least influenced by your build and files! =)

Makes me wants to make my own.. :D

Fantastic work! I don't if anyone asked... but how much total did it cost you to build? Like a rough estimate.

How much... well, hard to say since I already had everything but the foam and the red paint.

But let's count (roughly from memory) in the case you have none of the prerequisite to start with :
8 foam rolls 3€ each (I recommend 12 rolls to build cleaner and faster),
4 spray paint 7€ each,
1 bucket of Sikafill 50eur (but a bucket can do 15 suits...)
1 regulated glue gun 45€ (a 7€ gun can go, it's what I used for this one)
1 pack of glue sticks 12€
1 cutter and blades 10€
2 rolls of velcro tape 5€ each
1 pack of 100 rotative junction clips 20€ (you'll need only a few of them)
1 pack of 50 quick fastener clips 25€ (idem)
1 led spot for the arc 3€
and in a sense the most expensive : a lot of time spent while not doing anything else.

Hey :) at first I want to tell you that I really admire your work. In 5 days you came out with a pretty nice suite. I only wonder how it would have been if only you had more time ;)

Now let's start with the questions! Domyos mats are quite cheap 3,50 euros here in Italy, I don't think I'll be able to find cheaper ones. You gave such a good tip you cannot imagine :) ...well....your tips are golden!

Can I shape them with a hot gun or a hairdrier?
Sikafill: do you think it works better than a common and cheap PVA glue+primer?
Did you obtain a smooth surface after painting?
Are they solid or can still bend (eg: sit with your suite on XD)

After this experience would you change something in your workflow or materials?

Greets :)

Can I shape them with a hot gun or a hairdrier?

I can't say, I never tryed to. Up to now it has never been requiered.

Sikafill: do you think it works better than a common and cheap PVA glue+primer?

In fact, a couple of days ago after a compatriot experienced some tests with this Domyos mats, I learned that you can apply some polymer resin directly onto this foam without any preliminary coating. It sticks perfectly well, the foam doesn't melt down at all and remains unspoiled.

Did you obtain a smooth surface after painting?

No, it touches like something like leather, or soft wood. If I have had one more day I could have applied a coat of my acrylic flexible glossy varnish. That would have give a really smooth surfacing.

Are they solid or can still bend (eg: sit with your suite on XD)

I can sit down with the suit. But if you sit several hours consécutively, the foam will become thinner under your weight. Well I assume it will, I did a test putting a piece of foam under a chair leg all night long, I got the print of the leg tip on the foam.

After this experience would you change something in your workflow or materials?

For a five days build (and 4 nights) ? no time enough to change anything ! I still was painting it the D-day at 8am to be ready at primary school for 10am.

This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back