1:1 Millennium Falcon Cockpit Replica - Group Build

Re: 1:1 Millennium Falcon Console Replica

Hey Gang,

I picked up the last of the formica and few more little bits and pieces for the console last night. I also stumbled across what could be a PERFECT substitute for the those pesky hard to find dome panel lights...

I've spent the morning spraying a satin clear coat on both consoles and doing more sanding on the trottle housing and those 2 rectangular mystery boxes... Steve Starkiller might have an idea of what those are?

I'm letting these sit in the sun to help remove the labels... some pretty good stuff can be found when you're looking for nothing at all
IMAG0847.jpg

Big Ol Roll of Formica - I hate this stuff! But I did find a new cutting tool and I'm hoping this will help!
IMAG0850.jpg

Anybody ever see 2001: A Space Odyssey (of course you have)... Remember in the beginning of the film where the "ape" looks at the bone for the first time and realizes it could be used as a weapon? That was me standing in the middle of the aisle looking at this door stopper... I call it my "2001 Moment"...

IMAG0848.jpg

I removed the rubber stopper... If I can find a lens small enough... we have ourselves a CHEAP panel light! There is a hole in the center JUST WAITING for a bulb!!!
IMAG0849.jpg

More to come!

Last edited:

While pieces, primer and other various things are drying... I did another practice striping on the throttle housing

IMAG0860.jpg

It's REALLY HOT AND HUMID today...

ugh...

Excellent work! Sir, if any of my circuits or gears will help, I'll gladly donate them.

Are you accepting donations of greeblies? I have some small, cool, spacey items that don't fit with anything I'm doing, and I'd be happy to send them along.

Excellent work! Sir, if any of my circuits or gears will help, I'll gladly donate them.

Are you accepting donations of greeblies? I have some small, cool, spacey items that don't fit with anything I'm doing, and I'd be happy to send them along.

ABSOLUTELY!!!! That's very generous of you! Depending on what you have, we can either send it my way or to Chris Lee who is building the full scale MF!

Again, very generous of you. Let me know what you've got! :)

I'm a little bummed out with the paint situation I'm in... I brought the console inside (its a heck of a lot bigger inside!). "...there it will stay..." for 48 hours to let the paint fully cure!

I'm also debating HEAVILY whether to continue using the formica. I can get the same smooth finish with MDF - but I give up the flexibility with mounting bits and small LEDS, etc to the formica... I'll think about it...

If I can't fix the paint... I may have to start over... GRRRRR...

IMAG0861.jpg

Cisco (Chewie) looking on...
IMAG0862.jpg

More to come

Last edited:

I think the pin striping would look better in a light grey against the black and then use the white against the grey... I dont have any to practice with, but I'll pick some up. I get the feeling the white might be a bit strong...

IMAG0864.jpg

I think mdf would be a great deal easier to bog, sand and paint than formica; nice thread!

I agree 100%!!! The paint is already beginning to cure and adhere to the surface. I'll check it out tomorrow morning and see how it looks. If I can sand and feather the edges... then all will be right with the world. : )

GREAT NEWS!!!! The paint is curing. I looked at it just a minutes ago and bringing it inside made all the difference in the world.

BAD NEWS!!!! That thing is heavy! I dont want to keep lugging it back and forth!

Also, I'm somewhat at a standstill. I'm waiting for a few key items that I ordered on Ebay. Without those I wont know exactly where to drill the large holes in the instrument panels before laying the dreaded formica... grrrrrr...

But, I still have my panel boxes. Stay tuned!

So... what happens when you take a simple door stop and combine it with a set of simple reflectors?

IMAG0868.jpg

IMAG0869.jpg

IMAG0870.jpg

IMAG0872.jpg

The reflectors fit NEAR perfectly! There is a tiny bit of play but nothing that cant be fixed with a good adhesive. There is sticky tape attached to the backside but I can remove that and then shine a light through...

Stay Tuned!

Loving this build - Especially the found parts sections :)
It's a great feeling when something you randomly try just works!

Hay G

Great combo! The console is starting to look awesome (frustrations aside) :thumbsup :thumbsup

God I hope I can do those rocker switches justice :confused I think I've come up with a technique I'm happy with though (inspired by the legend that is Steve Neill no less). Once I have an accurate profile (or two ;)) I'll get cracking on them.

I have a profile of the rockers used on the Vader box and other things, but don't know if it matches the ones on the MF. Let me know becous I can make that one this week along with my other mould making I'm doing if so.

Hey C,

Thanks much!! Bringing the console inside REALLY helped with the curing process. Let's hope for a good fix!

From what I understand the rockers on Vader chest box and ALL others throughout the SW universe are the same. Did you get the latest & greatest dimensions I sent you?

Again, I have no doubt that whatever you produce will be AWESOME!!! Question... what about clear resin? :)

Loving this build - Especially the found parts sections :)
It's a great feeling when something you randomly try just works!

Hi S,

Thanks!!! It has been fun. Other than the few set backs, it has been very relaxing and helps take my mind off everything else.

I can't tell you how shocked I was to find those reflectors. I was passing through the "Garage Sale Sign" section of Lowe's when I saw the tiny reflectors. I thought to myself as I approached them "what are the chances of these random reflectors being 1 1/4"..." Low and behold...

How random and lucky was that?????

A few more little updates and then its back to working on the underside instrument panel boxes...

Sprayed some chrome paint on the bezel - that paint really works!
IMAG0874.jpg

With the good luck I had using the putty I decided to cover the bad area and see what happens
IMAG0875.jpg

Various images of the panel light in action!
IMAG0876.jpg

IMAG0877.jpg

IMAG0878.jpg

IMAG0879.jpg

I'll sand with fine paper and then spray a coat of high gloss and see if that makes the bezel really pop...

Stay Tuned

Hey C,

Thanks much!! Bringing the console inside REALLY helped with the curing process. Let's hope for a good fix!

From what I understand the rockers on Vader chest box and ALL others throughout the SW universe are the same. Did you get the latest & greatest dimensions I sent you?

Again, I have no doubt that whatever you produce will be AWESOME!!! Question... what about clear resin? :)

Hi G

How are you reading my shopping list :confused

If I have any left over from making the prototype for my other project (quite likely) I'll make a few clear rockers too :thumbsup

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back