1:1 Millennium Falcon Cockpit Replica - Group Build

Re: 1:1 Millennium Falcon Console Replica

I contacted the vendor and asked if they were available in other colors. No response yet. It is the weekend so I can wait.

These cracks and holes are killing me... the contact cement didnt take around the edges... Not sure where to go from here

Last edited:

I removed some of the bits and pieces and then rested the trottle on top of the housing to get a feel for what it will look like. At 49 bucks... I'm not going to complain at the quality of this piece. I was lucky to even find one at this price! I'm hoping to find 4 knee pistons from the C3PO costume. Those will be the throttle knobs. Anybody? Help? ; )

IMAG0777.jpg

IMAG0778.jpg

IMAG0779.jpg

Thats it for today. Its too hot... I still have errands to run and a mess of other things. I'm hoping to have all the dang holes and splits filled tomorrow along with mounting the support to the console itself. Once all that is done I can begin sanding, prepping and finally... painting!

I do have a formica question: Does anybody know what I can use to fill in the holes around the edges? I've tried formica filler, wood filler and even a 2 part epoxy but the holes keep reappearing. Any help would be greatly appreciated! See below for sample:

IMAG0771.jpg

Hope everybody is having a great weekend!

LOOKING GREAT!!! How about silicone caulking? It can be painted if I'm not mistaken. squirt it in there..wet fingertip smooth it out.

That might work... but wont it flex and cause the paint the peel?

I tried something daring... I used the brad gun and shot a few brads into the trouble spots. I thought for sure the formica would shatter but low and behold it didnt. Tomorrow, I sand the area down and fill with some wood filler. If that doesnt work... I'll try epoxy...

Let's hope we get to some painting tomorrow!

Last edited:

One step forward... two steps back...

I laid the console aside to work on the support when to my surprise the heat from the sun had actually caused the formica to peel away from the side... UGH...

I did begin the process of mounting the support to the console itself. I also had to create a new skin for the front of the support after having to remove 1.5 inches of width...

UGH... I should have the support finished, painted and sealed by days end!

IMAG0780.jpg

IMAG0781.jpg

Bolts for mounting to console
IMAG0782.jpg

New formica skin on support front
IMAG0783.jpg

I'm letting everything dry in the shade. I'm headed to a friends house to help put together furniture... back soon!

FINALLY!!!!!!

Despite a sudden down pour... The first round of primer has been sprayed!!!! I should have the console support painted by days end!

IMAG0786.jpg

More to come

Last edited:

:lol All credit goes to TK-326 for that find. Nice one TK :thumbsup

*edit* I totally misread your post, bit tired and missed the link :facepalm:behave

Last edited:

I think the slightly rounded ones fit better with the look of the falcon, and are nicer to touch (not that they do anything, but you know what I mean :lol).

I'm torn between the two tiles... The glass is very smooth and adds a certain depth but the acrylic is very hard edged and clean... hmmm.... The acrylic is cheaper... and that might be a good thing. I'll have to let to TK-326 and Starkiller duke it out and decide.

I'll get the popcorn. ; )

Last edited:

Had to work late.... but I was able to get another layer of paint on the support (no reason to take a photo). I'll wait an hour or so, spray another, and then let sit over night before spraying a clear coat.

Other than that... not much to report...

Last edited:

Hi Gang,

Because we will be unable to locate/identify "everything" used on the console / cockpit we've decided that the console will be a sort of ANH/ESB hybrid. I'm going to try to keep with the spirit of the original series and will not go overboard with greeblies, etc...

And finding all the little greeblies will be a challenge and I ask all of you to keep your eyes open for anything you might find.

I wanted to open up the overall design to everybody since this project will eventually be donated to Chris Lee and his full scale MF Falcon. Several members have already volunteered to create rockers and other various items and for that we thank you. By openning up the build I would like to include all of you in this amazing project!

So... if you have any ideas, parts, or anything you would like to donate please drop me a line.

I'm still working my regular job and wont be able to get to the fun till after 4...

More to come!

One last mistake to fill, one last blast with the KILLZ primer, let it dry and then onto the primer filler to fill in all the little holes and other mistake and then paint...

I'm still holding off on the instrument panels because I need to figure out HOW I'm going to mount the throttle along with figure out holes for rockers, lights, tiles, etc...

Filling a mistake
IMAG0792.jpg

IMAG0796.jpg

Priming
IMAG0791.jpg

IMAG0793.jpg

Still a few little holes to fill but I'll let the primer/filler take care of those
IMAG0794.jpg

IMAG0795.jpg

Stay Tuned!

Last edited:

Primer is on and I resprayed the monitor screen with the metallic paint to see how it looks...

IMAG0797.jpg

IMAG0798.jpg

IMAG0799.jpg

Hey... I added my first greeblie...
IMAG0801.jpg

Last edited:

Hey Snoot,

Thanks for the kind words. I've built a few large scale projects in the past to include a garden shed that could fit two mowers so I wasnt completely in the dark... but this is the first time I've built a prop, with formica and/or had anything to do with adding lights, buttons, etc... especially without plans - making it up as you go can be VERY challenging (another word for frustrating).

I'm a little nervous starting the intrument panels but I think once I get the trottle mounted, if successful, I can tackle the rest...

I have a LONG weekend coming up so I'm hoping to have some kind of noticable progress - not just primer and paint...

Stay Tuned

UPDATES

It occured to me that the paint I was using was just too dark. With a little light sanding on the support and console, I painted both with a "Smoke Grey" color. This will help the "black" areas on the instrument panels and top of the console "pop" out a bit more.

A few more coats and a satin clear finish and she's ready for the next step.

IMAG0802.jpg

IMAG0805.jpg

IMAG0806.jpg

IMAG0807.jpg

IMAG0808.jpg

More to come

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back