1:1 Millennium Falcon Cockpit Replica - Group Build

Re: 1:1 Millennium Falcon Console Replica

Thanks OOTA,

I'm off work and I'm headed out to continue working! More pics in a few

You've really captured the look of the Falcon there. Great job.

Ted.

Hi Ted,

Thanks for the compliment. That was just a practice board to see if the pin stripes were worth using...

UPDATES!!! The formica is FINISHED! The shell has been skinned and now I'll sand down, smooth the edges, fill in any holes and gaps and... this is where the fun begins!

Until I have to formica the instrument panels... LOL DANG IT!!!

Anywho...

I'm calling her the Mad Cow...
IMAG0759.jpg

As you can see I tossed a little flat black on for fun... I was thinking maybe trying a grey metallic paint for the base? ideas?
IMAG0760.jpg

Once everything is in place I'll measure out where the toggle switches go!
IMAG0761.jpg

The panels feel naked without their formica skin...
IMAG0762.jpg

Here she is... the Mad Cow
IMAG0763.jpg

As always... more to come

Hey C,

On the "armrest" of the center console (where I cut out the two rectangular holes) there are 40 toggle switches. There do not appear to be any toggles on the instrument panels themselves.

MillenniumFalconConsole.jpg

Throughout the cockpit itself... on one panel behind Han there are approx 60+ switches.

We want to try to remain consistent throughout the cockpit and not just install random toggles - unless they are bunched together and sectioned off with "pin stripes"...

I still have to find those dang panel mount dome lights... those have been a PAIN to track down...

The local "Radio Shack" (electronics store) has some good sized "paddle style" toggles but they're 5 bucks a piece! I'm not paying 200 bucks for non functional switches. Let's face it, if I have to pay 200 bucks to go into hyperspace, or at least come out of it... then I'm sorry!!!

Last edited:

I still have to find those dang panel mount dome lights... those have been a PAIN to track down...

If you do the ESB version of the console there are no dome lights.
I guess the set dressers even had trouble finding them after the first movie.

Hi C,

I didnt realize the ESB version was stripped of the dome lights. I just looked through all the images I have (which is VERY few) and it never occured to me they were in fact not there.

I have a feeling, just because we're not going to be able to identify every little part, that I'll wind up with a ANH / ESB hybrid. I dont think that's a bad thing...

Those dome lights are a mystery to EVERY vendor I have contacted. They may not exist anymore...

Do you have a good color image(s) of the entire console? I'm trying to figure out what colors to use.

Thanks for the INFO!

AHHHH... the never ending art of sanding...

I've spent the day filling and sanding, filling and sanding... it's a never ending process if you want it perfect! And I know tomorrow will be no different...

IMAG0771.jpg

IMAG0770.jpg

IMAG0768.jpg

IMAG0765.jpg

IMAG0764.jpg

I went to the local hobby store and found these! Since finding similar buttons seems to be next to impossible, I stumbled across several packages of these 1x1 inch colored glass squares used for mosaic tiling. Then I got to thinking. Drill a few holes in the panel, stick some Christmas lights with random flashing up through the holes, adhere the mosaic tiles to the top of panel and - TA DA...

IMAG0772.jpg

Test panel coming soon!

Well... The tiles look awesome but they're not as luminescent as I had hoped for... Not enough light shines through to really make them stand out. I'll keep looking though! I think we might have a winner!

IMAG0773.jpg

Last edited:

Look what I found (almost the same size too):

8 ounce+ Clear Glass Mosaic Tiles 3/4" | eBay

A coat of tinted enamel and its game on (for the life of me I can't remember it's proper name at the moment). I used it all the time as a kid for my space marines. The alternative is to find a stage equipment supplier and get coloured gels (the thin plastic used to change the colours of the stage lights) and stick them underneath the tiles.

I found a few different plain glass tiles at the hobby store as well. Didnt think about the enamel - good call!

I've sent a few inquiries to several tile vendors hoping to find some tiles that are more transparent and help distribute the light evenly. I hoping to hear something by tomorrow. But I'll definately go back to the hobby store and do a little more investigating.

Keep the fingers crossed!

Hey C,

I found these on my side of the pond!

100 1" (25mm) Clear Glass Flat Square Tiles for Pendant Making | eBay

Look what I found (almost the same size too):

8 ounce+ Clear Glass Mosaic Tiles 3/4" | eBay

A coat of tinted enamel and its game on (for the life of me I can't remember it's proper name at the moment). I used it all the time as a kid for my space marines. The alternative is to find a stage equipment supplier and get coloured gels (the thin plastic used to change the colours of the stage lights) and stick them underneath the tiles.

CHECK OUT WHAT JUST ARRIVED!!!!

IMAG0776.jpg

I'm going to tinker with it while the fillers and glues dry on the console.

Stay Tuned!

Last edited:

I removed some of the bits and pieces and then rested the trottle on top of the housing to get a feel for what it will look like. At 49 bucks... I'm not going to complain at the quality of this piece. I was lucky to even find one at this price! I'm hoping to find 4 knee pistons from the C3PO costume. Those will be the throttle knobs. Anybody? Help? ; )

IMAG0777.jpg

IMAG0778.jpg

IMAG0779.jpg

Thats it for today. Its too hot... I still have errands to run and a mess of other things. I'm hoping to have all the dang holes and splits filled tomorrow along with mounting the support to the console itself. Once all that is done I can begin sanding, prepping and finally... painting!

I do have a formica question: Does anybody know what I can use to fill in the holes around the edges? I've tried formica filler, wood filler and even a 2 part epoxy but the holes keep reappearing. Any help would be greatly appreciated! See below for sample:

IMAG0771.jpg

Hope everybody is having a great weekend!

Last edited:

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back