Subscribe
    From
    Huntsville, AL
    2 Weeks Ago  Nov 29, 2017, 11:54 AM - Re: 1:1 Millennium Falcon Cockpit Replica - Group Build #9426

separoga said: View Post
    Hey Sofa!! How about the cockpit? The interior, is so fabolous. And the chairs, are unbelievable... ...You´re doing a great job!!!
    Hey S,

Thanks for the kind words and the vote of confidence!

- - - Updated - - -

doctorDWwho said: View Post
    I haven't been over to this thread in a while- WOW!!!!! This is fantastic, gorgeous as ever.
    Hey D,

Thank you very much. I'm not so sure about your not having visited in a while but we'll let it slide this time.

- - - Updated - - -

Thunderkatt740 said: View Post
    Awesome job as always.

"Not much on the console but I temp added these 1" blue and white tiles to the monitor panel to see if I like. These would not be rear illuminated as the iPad is mounted directly behind."

You could just drill out holes in the bezel then add white circles to the video on the iPad. That way the backlight in the iPad acts as the bulb.
    Hey TK,

Thanks!

Unfortunately, the edges of the ipad screen and the frame are directly in line with the 1" tiles. I might forego the tiles and add two horizontal lines of silver or chrome pin stripes above and below the monitor. I might redo the entire panel all together. It will be the same basic layout just a few mods.
    1 Week Ago  Nov 29, 2017, 8:04 PM - Re: 1:1 Millennium Falcon Cockpit Replica - Group Build #9427

Those Nav chairs are the bomb Sofa! As for the tunnel, it`s surely taking shape (minus a bunch of tweaks,as you've said)...Man, it's a shame I'm living sooo far away from this beauty; then again, might be a blessing in disguise: I would be in everyday, bugging you and your team
    From
    Huntsville, AL
    1 Week Ago  Nov 30, 2017, 11:46 AM - Re: 1:1 Millennium Falcon Cockpit Replica - Group Build #9428

joberg said: View Post
    Those Nav chairs are the bomb Sofa! As for the tunnel, it`s surely taking shape (minus a bunch of tweaks,as you've said)...Man, it's a shame I'm living sooo far away from this beauty; then again, might be a blessing in disguise: I would be in everyday, bugging you and your team
    Thanks, J!

It is too bad you live so far. We could DEF use the help! The corridor is coming along. Most of the greeblies are now in the rear view mirror minus adding the a few LEDs. The biggest hurdles right now are the main head piece for the nav chairs and all the corridor padding.

Also... I'm going to a fabric store in Tennessee early Sat morning to pick up fabric for the captains chairs! Once I get the fabric it will be handed off to a local upholsterer who said he was up for the challenge!
    From
    Huntsville, AL
    1 Week Ago  Dec 3, 2017, 6:55 PM - Re: 1:1 Millennium Falcon Cockpit Replica - Group Build #9429

Hi Gang,

Time for an update! Not too many photos this time around. I spent all weekend working on the corridor ring pads.

We took the laser cut shapes and filled with expanding foam

After cutting the excess away and a light sand

Second practice pad

Filling in gaps

After final sanding

What a mess!

Just a few more to go and 15 cans of foam later

I had to wait 24 hours before the foam dried. It was off to the races to cut all the edges and sand smooth

Small channel for the trim pieces on the ring

More to cut

I first used the band saw to cut away the larger portions of the foam

I then used the recip knife to cut away the rest

UGH

Each one got a light sanding

Still a long way to go! I have to fill all the gaps with more foam and of course... more sanding

Daniel suggested I use flexible spackle to cover the pads. I'm hoping the flexible spackle will hold up!

I'll let this first / practice pad dry, sand smooth and see how it looks (24 hours to dry)

While the pad was drying I painted the goggles silver. I love the look

Finally the best for last! Work continues on 3D printing the rest of the nav chair parts!

We HAVE to get this part looking perfect!

Quick mock-up

Back side - this MDF piece will be mod'd to include a mount that will bolt to the frame

This is the most iconic piece to this chair and, to me, ties the entire look of the cockpit together!

The blue tape does take away from the look

Tough to see...

SO COOL!

And this is where we are!

More to follow so stay tuned!
    Last edited by SofaKing01; 1 Week Ago at 9:32 AM.
    From
    Colorado
    1 Week Ago  Dec 3, 2017, 8:56 PM - Re: 1:1 Millennium Falcon Cockpit Replica - Group Build #9430

oh man! I see a lot of sanding in your future!! LOL . Love the Nav Chair print, that is going to be great!
    From
    Brussels
    1 Week Ago  Dec 3, 2017, 9:35 PM - Re: 1:1 Millennium Falcon Cockpit Replica - Group Build #9431

I don't know what your plan is, but maybe that 3d printed part could be vacuum formed, once sanded smooth, in order to make the two others, rather than printing them again, would save you tons of time. I may be wrong, but that shape looks simple enough for vacuum forming. Or you could even do a silicon mold and roto-cast it, would still be faster than having to print and sand two more times.

Edit : I have been doing some 3d printing myself and quickly learned how long it could take, especially for bigger parts like these. And it can be expensive too, especially when you take power bill into account.
    From
    Severn MD
    1 Week Ago  Dec 4, 2017, 3:54 PM - Re: 1:1 Millennium Falcon Cockpit Replica - Group Build #9432

Looking good Sofaking01. Looking forward to seeing it finished. Are you going to cast the cowl once you have it finished? Is the Time Release Mechanism the right size?
    From
    Huntsville, AL
    1 Week Ago  Dec 5, 2017, 9:14 AM - Re: 1:1 Millennium Falcon Cockpit Replica - Group Build #9433

Fuzzual said: View Post
    oh man! I see a lot of sanding in your future!! LOL . Love the Nav Chair print, that is going to be great!
    SHHHHHH dont remind me!

Thanks! The Nav Chair is slowly coming along but that cowl just pushes it over the top!
    From
    Huntsville, AL
    1 Week Ago  Dec 5, 2017, 9:19 AM - Re: 1:1 Millennium Falcon Cockpit Replica - Group Build #9434

OlivierC said: View Post
    I don't know what your plan is, but maybe that 3d printed part could be vacuum formed, once sanded smooth, in order to make the two others, rather than printing them again, would save you tons of time. I may be wrong, but that shape looks simple enough for vacuum forming. Or you could even do a silicon mold and roto-cast it, would still be faster than having to print and sand two more times.

Edit : I have been doing some 3d printing myself and quickly learned how long it could take, especially for bigger parts like these. And it can be expensive too, especially when you take power bill into account.
    Hey OC,

Not sure yet how we're going to move forward once the first cowl is finished. Making a mold will take a LOT of silicone and vacu-forming, although quick, wont be an exact replica as we would be essentially adding to the overall thickness of the cowl. We're still working / moding the files as we print so hopefully by the time the 2nd print comes around we will have worked out all the bugs.

Daniel has been breaking the shape down into smaller pieces so we can print 2-3 at a time. Still the same amount of time to print, but the smaller the pieces, the less chance of an error or a bowl of spaghetti!

- - - Updated - - -

IzzyMel said: View Post
    Looking good Sofaking01. Looking forward to seeing it finished. Are you going to cast the cowl once you have it finished? Is the Time Release Mechanism the right size?
    Thank you, my friend! And a HUGE THANKS to you and your continued efforts on these parts! Couldn't have done it without you, Starkiller and Daniel!

Not sure yet on what we'll do with the parts once one is finished. I don't think D has printed the TRM yet.
    From
    Huntsville, AL
    1 Week Ago  Dec 5, 2017, 11:46 AM - Re: 1:1 Millennium Falcon Cockpit Replica - Group Build #9435

Hi Gang,

I was going through the thread fixing some spelling errors and making more sense of certain posts when I realized I haven't respond to every comment. I apologize! PLEASE do not take offense if I don't respond. I probably didn't see it or I was too tired...

Again, my apologies! Love you guys and gals!
    From
    Brussels
    1 Week Ago  Dec 5, 2017, 5:00 PM - Re: 1:1 Millennium Falcon Cockpit Replica - Group Build #9436

SofaKing01 said: View Post
    Making a mold will take a LOT of silicone
    If you make a pour-in mold, yes, but If you do a brushed-on mold with a mother mold on top, you don't need much. But it's lot more work, which kinda defies the purpose
  12. Member Since
    Jun 2017
    1 Week Ago  Dec 5, 2017, 5:38 PM - Re: 1:1 Millennium Falcon Cockpit Replica - Group Build #9437

Hi Gang,

I was going through the thread fixing some spelling errors and making more sense of certain posts when I realized I haven't respond to every comment. I apologize! PLEASE do not take offense if I don't respond. I probably didn't see it or I was too tired...

Again, my apologies! Love you guys and gals!
    Lmao! The fact that you even NOTICED that astonishes me! Hands down you reply more than any other member of this forum on any given thread. I dont dont think anyone is going to make you ware the cone of shame over missing a few...lol

Sent from my LGLS775 using Tapatalk
  13. Member Since
    Dec 2007
    1 Week Ago  Dec 5, 2017, 6:25 PM - Re: 1:1 Millennium Falcon Cockpit Replica - Group Build #9438

Great latest update pics!!! The Nav chair is looking so sweet, and true what you say about the top piece...very iconic!!

Keep up the amazing work!
    From
    Huntsville, AL
    1 Week Ago  Dec 6, 2017, 9:24 AM - Re: 1:1 Millennium Falcon Cockpit Replica - Group Build #9439

OlivierC said: View Post
    If you make a pour-in mold, yes, but If you do a brushed-on mold with a mother mold on top, you don't need much. But it's lot more work, which kinda defies the purpose
    Hey OC,

We'll figure it out. Either way... lots of work ahead of us!

- - - Updated - - -

SimplyTim said: View Post
    Lmao! The fact that you even NOTICED that astonishes me! Hands down you reply more than any other member of this forum on any given thread. I dont dont think anyone is going to make you ware the cone of shame over missing a few...lol

Sent from my LGLS775 using Tapatalk
    LOL! The "Cone of Shame". Awesome!

- - - Updated - - -

CJ 617 said: View Post
    Great latest update pics!!! The Nav chair is looking so sweet, and true what you say about the top piece...very iconic!!

Keep up the amazing work!
    Thanks, CJ! The head piece, when finished, is going to finally tie everything together. Its one of those pieces you don't really look at or, in some cases, notice until its not there.
    From
    Los Angeles, CA
    1 Week Ago  Dec 6, 2017, 4:13 PM - Re: 1:1 Millennium Falcon Cockpit Replica - Group Build #9440

I was looking back at the keystone panel from the other day. What if you flipped one of the three nozzle-looking things 180 degrees? That was a pretty common thing the original designers did and it might do something cool visually.

Awesome progress!
    6 Days Ago  Dec 7, 2017, 9:41 AM - Re: 1:1 Millennium Falcon Cockpit Replica - Group Build #9441

The headbox is spot on! Great work guys!!
    From
    Huntsville, AL
    5 Days Ago  Dec 8, 2017, 8:51 AM - Re: 1:1 Millennium Falcon Cockpit Replica - Group Build #9442

BigBigDave said: View Post
    I was looking back at the keystone panel from the other day. What if you flipped one of the three nozzle-looking things 180 degrees? That was a pretty common thing the original designers did and it might do something cool visually.

Awesome progress!
    Hey BBD,

Thanks so much! That's a great idea! I'll flip the single greeblie and see how it looks. Maybe even add a hose coming out of it?

- - - Updated - - -

Wavey said: View Post
    The headbox is spot on! Great work guys!!
    Hey W,

The team has done an amazing job trying to get that part right!
  18. The good-looking one;) RPF Premium Member PropReplicator2's Avatar
    From
    Abilene,TX
    5 Days Ago  Dec 8, 2017, 11:13 AM - Re: 1:1 Millennium Falcon Cockpit Replica - Group Build #9443

Man..... It's been a while since I checked on this thread. Amazing progress! As mentioned before I need to drop by some time and take a look! And I need a falcon cockpit chair for my office

Sent from my XT1097 using Tapatalk
    From
    Denver, Colorado
    4 Days Ago  Dec 8, 2017, 10:32 PM - Re: 1:1 Millennium Falcon Cockpit Replica - Group Build #9444

SK!! Wow, you continue to set a higher bar with each update!!! You are absolutely killing it with this baby! Your continual in progress work is stunning. Marvelous stuff!
    Sean
    From
    Huntsville, AL
    2 Days Ago  Dec 11, 2017, 6:39 AM - Re: 1:1 Millennium Falcon Cockpit Replica - Group Build #9445

Hi Gang,

Time for the Weekend Update. One step forward... 19 steps back! I think the corridor rings pads are a bust. It's taken me 4 days just to get one pad to a 90% solution and its still fighting me. Going to have to push this part of the build aside and try to come up with something else...

After 1st round of sanding

Spot filler

Second round of sanding

More spot filler

3rd round of sanding

The exposed foam is driving me nuts! Time for another approach

Picked up some Mod Podge and white shop towels and decided to try this technique on another pad

That didn't work either! I'm really frustrated! 60 bucks for all the expandable foam down the toilet!

If I can get ONE pad looking good I'm going to try to create a fiberglass mold OR we CNC new pads using 4" foam.

I tried using the Podge on the near finished pad to help seal/harden the exposed foam - fingers crossed. UGH

Cockpit Laser Gun Tip is almost ready to mount into place

I think I found a place for this old greeblie

The new silver boxes with interior lighting were finally remounted and ready for wiring - cut the hole for the wire

From the back

The boxes also got their faux wire connectors

Backside

Fellow RPFer Bigturc was kind enough to forward me some AWESOME greeblies!

There are lenses included but forgot to take a pic - BAD ME! Thanks BT!

Fellow RPFer, BigBadDave, suggested I spin the single greeblie around to see what it would look like with the silver cylinder on top. I LOVE IT! But I suddenly realized...

Another step backwards. The capstone panel would never fit in its current configuration! The curve of the corridor wall/top panel would hit the primered trim piece.

So, I took measurements and designed a new trim piece

Dry fit

There's the space it has to fit

WHEW!

The new trim piece required me to redesign and laser cut these new parts

Black trim piece - needed to pop against the already black panel

Light dusting of silver paint - I like it! Great call BBD!

Saving the "actual" best for last... I dropped the captains chairs off to be finished up!

And that's where we are! UGH...

Another HUGE thanks to BT for the awesome greeblies! More to follow
    Last edited by SofaKing01; 1 Day Ago at 7:22 AM.
    From
    Clovis,CA
    2 Days Ago  Dec 11, 2017, 8:34 AM - Re: 1:1 Millennium Falcon Cockpit Replica - Group Build #9446

Argh, one step forward and 8 steps back is the story of my life! I feel your pain, brother!

Could you CNC one good form and then make a batch of vacuum formed caps to fit over the pads you've already built? Your existing pads would give you the rigidity plus you would still be able to salvage them.
  22. Member Since
    Mar 2016
    2 Days Ago  Dec 11, 2017, 4:12 PM - Re: 1:1 Millennium Falcon Cockpit Replica - Group Build #9447

great work as always.

have you seen this video
    https://youtu.be/kkq3lAW875o
    full sized kylo rens tie fighter it's a beast.

also another thing I'm came across the other day and wasn't sure if you had or not is the
    Haynes Manual for Falcon some really good pictures of the cockpit in it including break downs etc.

loosebruce
    From
    Los Angeles, CA
    2 Days Ago  Dec 11, 2017, 6:47 PM - Re: 1:1 Millennium Falcon Cockpit Replica - Group Build #9448

Light dusting of silver paint - I like it! Great call BBD!
    Thanks! Glad to help.

Speaking of help (and vacuforming), what are the dimensions of those pads?
    1 Day Ago  Dec 11, 2017, 7:45 PM - Re: 1:1 Millennium Falcon Cockpit Replica - Group Build #9449

I wonder how these guys made the pads for their project?... https://www.pinterest.com/pin/162200024052891278/
    1 Day Ago  Dec 12, 2017, 8:45 AM - Re: 1:1 Millennium Falcon Cockpit Replica - Group Build #9450

SK,

I always assumed those ring pads were just that .. pads! So why not just cover your cardboard/expending foam with some kind of faux leather/material and call it a day? It's always been that image in my head since I was young. Also, considering you've already done it for the nav chair and it looks quite nice, I figured you'd do it that way also.

If all else fails, I would finish one, make a mold of it and use (smooth on) expanding foam to replicate it even though that would imply sculpting the bottom to fit (which sucks).

Anywho, the last thing I would imagine is for those pads to be solid as it's there for bumping protection in my mind!

Keep at it!