Subscribe
  1. Member Since
    Aug 2014
    1 Day Ago  Nov 19, 2017, 3:11 PM - Re: 1:1 Millennium Falcon Cockpit Replica - Group Build #9401

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	hXdQAWl.jpg 
Views:	82 
Size:	580.4 KB 
ID:	774438
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Views:	37 
ID:	774437  
    From
    Huntsville, AL
    22 Hours Ago  Nov 19, 2017, 6:09 PM - Re: 1:1 Millennium Falcon Cockpit Replica - Group Build #9402

Hi Gang,

Didn't get much done this weekend. Car battery went dead early Sat and then had to replace / repair a leaky kitchen faucet. Fun Fun Fun... That took up the entire morning and ate well into the afternoon. BUT! I was able to jump back to the maint console and nav chairs, Best part, I was able to jump another critical hurdle! Enjoy!

Not much on the console but I temp added these 1" blue and white tiles to the monitor panel to see if I like. These would not be rear illuminated as the iPad is mounted directly behind

Still debating whether they work or not but I do like them

I then added these red stripes to a rocker switch

I really like this! But I think two rockers might work better?

A while back I picked up some leather-like material and 2" seat foam. I finally cut both the foam (using the band saw) and material to match the MDF bottom!

Basic layout

I then rounded the edges using the belt sander. A huge Thanks to Daniel for guiding me through the upholstery process.

I picked up 3' x 8' of material for 9 bucks! Couldn't pass that up!

Started to upholster the nav chairs!

Getting those round corners perfect is almost next to impossible with the material I had

If that doesn't put the "UGH" in UGLY! Thankfully that will never be seen again!

Basic look

YUCK!

The 2" foam is too thick. It just doesn't look right

So early Sun morning I picked up some 1" foam and started the process all over again

MUCH better!

I love it! A bit too new looking but the thickness is perfect!

I'll try distressing the material later on

I was going through some screen grabs and noticed that the Tupperware lid is actually black. I had to remove and repaint

Burped the lid and now back in place! MUCH BETTER!

We are almost there!

Let's get the other chairs finished up!

I then installed the 1" rubber half-round to the seat panels

This bump caused a bit or a problem so I marked the area to be removed

Slowly followed the line on the band saw

Perfect fit!

It just occurred to me that replacing these specific thick rubber strips with a bicycle inner tube might work MUCH better than the thick 1" rubber strip. Inner tubes are very inexpensive, they will lay flat, take the curve with ease and still have the same look! Plus I'll have more leftover rubber strips for another chair!

This chair is almost finished!

One more set of rubber strips to go!

I then painted the interior part of the seat pad panels black - masked off the silver

Sprayed and removed the tape

The black helps hide the wood when the pad is in place

I'll have to paint the areas behind the back support pads as well

And this...

... is where we are!

Just want to say thank you to everybody who has supported us and this project throughout the years! You guys/gals are the best!

More to follow so please stay tuned!
    Last edited by SofaKing01; 5 Hours Ago at 10:14 AM.
    21 Hours Ago  Nov 19, 2017, 6:45 PM - Re: 1:1 Millennium Falcon Cockpit Replica - Group Build #9403

Maybe dab some light-colored watered-down whitewash or something on the seat covers to dirty them up. The covers look great! Can't wait to see the chairs finished!
    Last edited by trainman; 18 Hours Ago at 9:57 PM.
    From
    Clovis,CA
    7 Hours Ago  Nov 20, 2017, 9:00 AM - Re: 1:1 Millennium Falcon Cockpit Replica - Group Build #9404

That padding looks great. Funny how painting that lid black just seems to tie the whole thing together. It just didn't seem right when it was gray. Seemed something was off (like screen accuracy ).

Glad to see some blue and white tile BEHIND the cockpit. They just have to be squeezed in somewhere, even if they're not lit.

Now that the Nav chairs are nearly done, is it time to move back to the cockpit area? It's been so long I can't even remember, did the Volvo panels ever get completed?
    From
    Huntsville, AL
    7 Hours Ago  Nov 20, 2017, 9:04 AM - Re: 1:1 Millennium Falcon Cockpit Replica - Group Build #9405

Lt Washburn said: View Post
    In the close-ups, there's a greeblie screwed into the pad, behind Luke. It looks like it presses into the surface.
    Hey LtW,

Again... its just another mystery added to the increasing pile. I don't think we'll ever know the material used unless we talk to an actual person who was instrumental in their design and fabrication. Mostly...

- - - Updated - - -

DINVADER said: View Post
    Click image for larger version. 

Views:	82 
ID:	774438
    GREAT SHOT! It's amazing the color differences between the TFA/TLJ set and the OT sets.
    From
    Huntsville, AL
    7 Hours Ago  Nov 20, 2017, 9:09 AM - Re: 1:1 Millennium Falcon Cockpit Replica - Group Build #9406

trainman said: View Post
    Maybe dab some light-colored watered-down whitewash or something on the seat covers to dirty them up. The covers look great! Can't wait to see the chairs finished!
    Hey T,

Thanks so much! We're so close to getting this part of the build on the "completed" list! I'm going to create a test pad and try some different methods/techniques to aging the material. Should be fun!
    From
    Huntsville, AL
    6 Hours Ago  Nov 20, 2017, 9:16 AM - Re: 1:1 Millennium Falcon Cockpit Replica - Group Build #9407

Katuna said: View Post
    That padding looks great. Funny how painting that lid black just seems to tie the whole thing together. It just didn't seem right when it was gray. Seemed something was off (like screen accuracy ).

Glad to see some blue and white tile BEHIND the cockpit. They just have to be squeezed in somewhere, even if they're not lit.

Now that the Nav chairs are nearly done, is it time to move back to the cockpit area? It's been so long I can't even remember, did the Volvo panels ever get completed?
    Hey K,

Thanks so much! I had done some upholstery in the past but I just wasn't sure how to get those curved corners to look just right. I think they can be a little better but I'm really happy with how they turned out and they DEF raise the visual interest line on the chairs all together.

As you may know I've been working from several different version of the nav chair. I got the white Tupperware lid from a 3D model done by fellow RPFer Maruska. When I went back to look at screen grabs I had that "whoops" moment!

I really wanted to add some of the 1" tiles to the monitor panel. The panel just below gets a few tiles as well I just have to figure out what looks best. DEF going to include a few black tiles as well.

The Volvo panels are still a blank canvas. I'm waiting to do anything until the canopy is almost complete. Unfortunately, we don't have access to the CNC right now so the last part of the build has to wait.
    From
    Clovis,CA
    1 Hour Ago  Nov 20, 2017, 2:59 PM - Re: 1:1 Millennium Falcon Cockpit Replica - Group Build #9408

Wow, I went back to see how long you have been working on the cockpit bulkhead and corridor. I didn't look at every page but a year ago this week the bulkhead was pretty sparse and you were cutting the rings. That's a big chunk of time for a relatively small area. Shows how much detail and thought has been put into something that's never been seen on screen.

Any nervousness on TLJ showing the bulkhead as completely different than your vision? Regardless of what it may look like (if it's ever shown) your design is brilliant and fits the ESB timeline perfectly.

- - - Updated - - -

Wow, I went back to see how long you have been working on the cockpit bulkhead and corridor. I didn't look at every page but a year ago this week the bulkhead was pretty sparse and you were cutting the rings. That's a big chunk of time for a relatively small area. Shows how much detail and thought has been put into something that's never been seen on screen.

Any nervousness on TLJ showing the bulkhead as completely different than your vision? Regardless of what it may look like (if it's ever shown) your design is brilliant and fits the ESB timeline perfectly.
    From
    Huntsville, AL
    46 Minutes Ago  Nov 20, 2017, 3:27 PM - Re: 1:1 Millennium Falcon Cockpit Replica - Group Build #9409

Katuna said: View Post

Hi K,

Thanks so much! I'm sure you already know that the entrance is based very heavily on the TFA version. Once I finished the basic look of the entrance I decided to modify the TFA design using as many ESB related elements and greeblies as I could - taking design cues from various screen grabs and of course having fun with artistic liberty.

WOW I can't believe its already been a year since I started work on the corridor ring! With that, the basic build is just me. From design to laser cutting to primer and paint to mounting... its mostly been me. I get help from time to time but people have lives and their own projects so I get and certainly appreciate the help when it comes.

There no real nervousness for TLJ entrance. TFA proved there were a LOT of changes in the 30 yrs since RotJ. Unless it's a lighting issue, the TLJ cockpit appears to have changed the white 1" square tiles to yellow. So it will be interesting to see what other changes were made. However, since my version is based on the never before seen ESB version I'm actually more worried what the designers did for the upcoming "Solo" movie. I have no doubt the MF will play a significant role and we're going to see areas of the ship yet to appear on screen. My thought is the entrance will be cleaner looking than TFA only with more greeblies and less hoses.

But the biggest visual change we've seen is the ANH version to ESB. So either way I think we'll be ok. I just want see her on screen again