1:1 Millennium Falcon Cockpit Replica - Group Build

Hey Sofa King,

I'm having a Super Bowl party, and I'd love to buy one of these off you, to show-off to my friends! Do you think it could be delivered by the big game?!

The Wook

ps~but seriously, absolutely amazing work!

Hey Wook,

Oh sure! We should be able to knock one out before the big show! ;) Delivery might be tough...

Thanks so much! :)

- - - Updated - - -

Sitting here going thru all the pages... needing my greeblie fix. I'm up to page 92! :)

Sorry for the lack of real updates. Bad me. We spent most of Saturday loading everything into the trailer and taking her back to the house. It took us 2 trips and it was 15 degrees by the time we were finished that night. Now we have to scramble to get everything back together to include a few CNC cuts before Seattle Scot (OperaScot) arrives in a few weeks! :)

- - - Updated - - -

I am thinking of making a trip down there if you guys are still there with the cockpit in Alabama this summer, do you guy mind people getting photo ops sitting or standing in the cockpit? I will make a donation for your cause.

Hi D,

Unless we change of venue, the cockpit will be in the garage getting more updates. I'm hoping we'll be finished by the summer, but you know life always gets in the way. Shoot me a PM and we can discuss travel. :)

Nice looking Falcon cockpit you guys have going. It's amazing and I know how long these can take. I've been watching the evolution from time to time. I build a lot of them myself (aircraft cockpits for customers) using a lot of the same basic methods. I do all my own designwork and CnC, carpentry, 3D modeling, etc. I have instrument panels water jetted from 6061 aluminum. I also integrate real controls from various vendors as well build some myself too but also use a lot of virtualware with touchscreens as its a lot more flexible and less costly than hardware. I'm currently working on a new virtual panel set for a StarTrek shuttle which if all goes to plan I will be taking it to Las Vegas this summer for the TOS 50th Anniversary convention. Basically I can land it in the Enterprise using real world navigational techniques (VORs, GPS, etc). I'm essentially blending real world skills and avionics to look sci-fi but it requires an actual pilot to fly it. I'm attaching an image of one of my designs but if it violates any sort of advertising rules I can remove it or understand if an admin does (or can remove my logos) Anyway, this is my first post on this forum and I'm just wanting to show some similarity of building as I mostly use high grade plywood for the shells along with ABS or aluminum for skin. It's interesting how both NASA, the aviation community, and the sci-fi world all turn to good old plywood for mock-ups. I've been building these for 8 years and have done a lot with wood and am always learning new things. I would love to take the Falcon out sometime! You guys should think about integrating some real flight controls and get some projectors going. Personally, after all that work there's just no way I could keep it on the "ground". ;)View attachment 581382

Hi Sim,

Thanks for the kind words! WOW... we would love to grab hold of your experience and put it to use on the MF! :) Love the image you attached. Fantastic design!

Since the beginning there was always the talk of having a IMAX style screen in front of the cockpit. If there was a way to integrate real time flight controls and navigation that would be amazing! What an incredible experience that would be. I would never leave! Shoot me a PM if you have any ideas and the associated costs.

Man, I haven't checked this thread for a while, but everything is looking great! Whenever I think "okay, that part is perfect" you go an make it better! I can't wait to see what else you come up with.

Hey Y,

Long time no chat! Great to hear from ya. :) Thanks for the kind words. It's funny, I was digging through my emails and I realized just the other day that Daniel had sent a Behind the Scenes image of the EPVII cockpit back wall! It's one of the clearest images of I've seen of the greeblies. I was both in awe and frustrated because I have to redo a few of the greeblies. So hang on... more is on the way! :)

- - - Updated - - -

Am now up to page 156... this is getting harder and harder! Starting to shake! :)

I agree with Roughneckone... sloooooowwwwwwwerrrrrrrrrrrrrrr-uh ;)

I'm trying but there's alot of "THAT'S AWESOME"... and "WOW... INCREDIBLE" posts that are hard to read any slower! I'm up to 214 now... and oh my god man... I can barely stand it any more!

Thank you, my friend! The garage is a huge pile of MF right now. I have to do several things before putting the cockpit back together. One of them is FINALLY redesigning a new platform. The current one works but it's WAY too heavy. So there is that and the new CNC pieces that will add vertical stability to the main panels. And then of course the new Volvo panels and back wall greeblies and all the associated pipes and wires that wonderfully grace the back wall!

Thank you, my friend! The garage is a huge pile of MF right now. I have to do several things before putting the cockpit back together. One of them is FINALLY redesigning a new platform. The current one works but it's WAY too heavy. So there is that and the new CNC pieces that will add vertical stability to the main panels. And then of course the new Volvo panels and back wall greeblies and all the associated pipes and wires that wonderfully grace the back wall!

Hate to say it but you may have to break out your welding equipment and got with square stock metal framing for the flooring platform. Will provide enough stability and be 10x lighter. Time to dust off the ol welding talents! LOL

SK,

I'm beginning a similar build and was curious, what would you do differently if you were to start over? Like use formica? ;) Also, I found this image of the EPVII cockpit.. maybe you've already seen it but I thought this group would appreciate it.

HW
tfa cockpit.jpg

SK,

I'm beginning a similar build and was curious, what would you do differently if you were to start over? Like use formica? ;) Also, I found this image of the EPVII cockpit.. maybe you've already seen it but I thought this group would appreciate it.

HW
View attachment 582275

Hi HW,

Great pic! Much clearer than the version I have. Thanks for posting. :)

There are several things I would do MUCH differently WHEN we start over. The most important is integrating the curve of the exterior / outer skin line into the individual panels thus making it MUCH easier for the exterior skin to mount. This would make each panel MUCH bigger and several shelf systems would have to be built to carry the panels.

As far as material... We still haven't decided on what material to use for the actual panel. Wood, although cheap, can get VERY heavy - especially at the end of a LONG event or convention and you have take everything apart. A lot of it depends on personal budget. Painting the pin stripes instead of applying them is a DEF consideration.

Overall, I would laser cut and/or CNC everything! PLAN PLAN PLAN! There are bound to be mistakes, but take the time to look over every angle, every aspect, take everything into consideration before making that first cut.

I hope this helps... :)

- - - Updated - - -

Hate to say it but you may have to break out your welding equipment and got with square stock metal framing for the flooring platform. Will provide enough stability and be 10x lighter. Time to dust off the ol welding talents! LOL

I agree...

Hi Gang,

Not much of an update... BUT... it's supposed to be a beautiful weekend so I'll be getting the garage organized and the cockpit will start to look her old self and not like a pile of kindling. ;)

Ok Greg.. been pacing myself... am at 234 now... Am I gonna have to start again or are things gonna start getting violent around here!? :)

That's a great page! Lots of pics from our last Geek media Expo show! I personally like page 249. Other than page 1, that's where the fun and chaos really began! :)

That's a great page! Lots of pics from our last Geek media Expo show! I personally like page 249. Other than page 1, that's where the fun and chaos really began! :)

143 was good... but my fav so far was when you discovered the difference in the top panels from ANH to ESB on 74... was a major good find and totally changed the dimensions of everything! :) Not to mention that was when you did your first scale mock up! :)

143 was good... but my fav so far was when you discovered the difference in the top panels from ANH to ESB on 74... was a major good find and totally changed the dimensions of everything! :) Not to mention that was when you did your first scale mock up! :)

OH YEAH... I remember that! I guess the cockpit isn't anywhere close to screen accurate with that major flaw pointing directly in my face! I could redesign the 3 back wall panels? HMMMM... Might have to address this with the team. SIGH

Hi Gang,

Finally... an update! Spent the weekend cleaning up the garage and house to make more room for the cockpit and all its various pieces. I also FINALLY got back to work on some greeblies!

Finally unloaded the car! Kind of an odd looking photo but I liked it
20160130_171649_zpsfkld8si9.jpg

Then spent a few hours at the Makers and recut a back wall greeblie
20160130_094948_zps1igfngqn.jpg

20160130_094953_zpsjfmxax0o.jpg

20160130_095003_zps9jwqnb8n.jpg

I realized a few errors with the previous version so I'm not only redesigning, but I'm also taking a MUCH different approach
20160130_095012_zpsvyr5u5oj.jpg

Sand and prime all the associated pieces
20160130_125100_zps9okyvqb3.jpg

Adhere and add filler to the center piece
20160130_125801_zpsm8hdf6lx.jpg

20160130_153259_zps2wqeznyv.jpg

Routed the edges - and then made another serious error
20160130_153620_zpsgvwttuhw.jpg

Adding filler
20160130_154738_zpsh9eifmln.jpg

After painting black I added the silver
20160130_171655_zpsjev7wwey.jpg

Piecing it all together
20160130_185030_zpsshijboda.jpg

20160130_185018_zpsja5xjbig.jpg

Adding black
20160131_141351_zpsnuux9svk.jpg

Masked off and painting the interior black
20160131_141354_zpsvnyn8axl.jpg

Dried
20160131_163841_zpsvrmzq9pg.jpg

20160131_163855_zpsdobvdgmv.jpg

Two more details to add and she's ready for weathering and then mounting!
20160131_164020_zpsrk7ykeai.jpg

20160131_164026_zpsjzwapxmj.jpg

20160131_164031_zps6fjcoqjk.jpg

Not a very exciting update... but neither is cleaning the garage and house. ;)

More to Follow!

Thanks Sofa, I feel all warm and fuzzy seeing the Pit nestling in you garage again, and more greeblies too, can it get any better on a Monday morning!

Good to see ya back my friend.:love

Roughneckone:cool

Thanks Sofa, I feel all warm and fuzzy seeing the Pit nestling in you garage again, and more greeblies too, can it get any better on a Monday morning!

Good to see ya back my friend.:love

Roughneckone:cool

Hey R,

Thanks so much! Glad to be back! It is nice having her back at home again. And working on greeblies is much easier as I can simply bolt into place and move on to the next.

This week is going to be fun! OperaScot is on his way for a visit and he's anxious to get started on the canopy! :)

- - - Updated - - -

Oh sweet mother of greeblie goodness! AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHhhhhhhhhhhhhh... now I can face the day! :) This is worse then coffee my friend! LOL

Glad we could be there for ya. ;)

Great, I look forward to the Pit having an actual cockpit canopy, that will be awesome.

OperaScot is making it his mission to have it completed (minus paint) before he leaves! I'm looking forward to seeing the interior side of the canopy with all the greeblies, tubing and conduit. :)

Looking forward to that sight very much.

You know It pops into my head to wonder what it would take (or even if it would be possible costwise etc.) to do the outside as a "wrap" like they do on cars. That way you could use the actual image files from the 3D Falcon to cover it, that would be truly awesome.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back