1:1 Millennium Falcon Cockpit Replica - Group Build

Re: 1:1 Millennium Falcon Console Replica

Hi Gang,

I'm going to need a little help identifying a few key parts to the console. First off is the rocker style knobs used on the instrument panel. They are the same as the slider knobs behind Chewie's cockpit seat as well the knobs seen in the "couch" near the chess board.

Next are the square buttons. We're not sure whether these are simple plastic pieces painted and then backlit or if they are actual push buttons. I would like to use actual push buttons to help add a little bit of realism.

Finally... the dreaded 2-3" dome style lights seen throughout the series. I've done an extensive search for these lights with chrome trim and so far I have been unable to find anything. I have found a few arcade style lights that might pass but I really want to find the actual lights used.

I just stumbled across this light - it's not a dome light but it is close... And I'm assuming it's 35mm

http://na.suzohapp.com/pushbuttons/rbm730sexx.htm

OK Gang... any ideas?

Last edited:

Hi Gang,

I'm going to need a little help identifying a few key parts to the console. First off is the rocker style knobs used on the instrument panel. They are the same as the slider knobs behind Chewie's cockpit seat as well the knobs seen in the "couch" near the chess board.

Next are the square buttons. We're not sure whether these are simple plastic pieces painted and then backlit or if they are actual push buttons. I would like to use actual push buttons to help add a little bit of realism.

Hi Gang,

Some of the rockers appear to be the same as on the X-wing chest boxes. They were custom made from wood, but I would guess some were cast resin as well.
The sliders are different. They're raised in the center (not recessed like the rockers). Those might be real parts.

Square buttons - again, the same as on the X-wing chest boxes. They're just squares of plastic. They might be lens covers for buttons, but not full buttons - definitely not functional, just backlit. They're blue and translucent white, not painted. They must have bought the things by the crate full because they're everywhere (sets, costumes, etc... even the Bond film Moonraker).

Harrison Ford said in an audio interview that none of the switches worked, they had no springs and he just had to pretend. IIRC - the interview was part of the Magic of Myth exhibit audio tour.

Hi C,

Stevestarkiller told me the same thing about the buttons and switches - makes sense. No reason to go overboard on a prop that isnt going to see a whole lot of screen time.

For me, the reason / goal in creating the panel was to not only help Chris Lee and his project, but to have a more interactive experience not just build a static display. I've done a lot of looking online and found similar working buttons but I've had no luck on the rocker / slider knobs (at least not that size). I've been chatting with a former Vickers pilot and he told me the rockers are similar to those found on a G-1 overhead panel. He said he has 22 working rockers for sale at 12 each. But they are all the same shape.

Too all our members - anybody out there willing to tackle the possibility of creating some illuminated rocker/slider knobs out of resin? Like the backlit buttons, they are located EVERYWHERE throughout the MF.

OK... off to work. Stay Tuned

Last edited:

Hi

Got any good referance pics and measurements of the switch/button you want casting? I'm hopefully going to be making some moulds and casts in the next few weeks. I could include a few small items if you want, plus it'll help use any left overs I have of the silicone and resins that don't get used.

Hi Canobi!

Thanks for the fantastic offer! And to think you'll be forever memorialized! : )Everything we have is based solely off of images you've probably seen before. Most of the detail work has been done by Stevestarkiller and his AMAZING 3D rendering of the Falcon.

In this link you'll see all the buttons/knobs in question. The vertical panel mounted knobs behind Chewie's station and the knobs on the instrument console. If you scroll through the page you'll see what I'm referring to.

http://www.therpf.com/f11/screen-accurate-millennium-falcon-cockpit-cg-model-102451/index3.html

There are 27 rocker style knobs on the instrument panel and 24 (various shaped slider knobs) on the vertical mounted panel - and more throughout the cockpit. They all appear to have a bulb or means of illumination or just a simple black dot.

Let me ask Stevestarkiller if he knows off hand what the dimensions are to the knobs.

Thanks again for the tremendous offer!

No prob, buttons will be biscuits compared to what I'm trying to make :lol
I have to admit I'm a bit of a casting noob, but enthusiastic and nerdy enough to have all the theory and tools ready. tiny bit of practice (I've used resin but not silicone) coupled with a heavy dose of perfectionism and a head for engineering should make for the right credentials :confused

UPDATES!!!!

The shell is about 90% complete!!! I added more supports and added thickness to the instrument panels and finally laid the last of the panel tops to the console. Just a few more things and she's ready for her next layer of clothes...

Stevestarkiller forwarded the dimensions to the console support but this may require a little rework due to the heaviness of the front end of the console.

This weekend I hope to work on the monitor screen surround along with the throttle surround.

In all... she may not look like much... but she's got it where it counts!

Enjoy

3/4 x 1.5 strips to add bulk to the instrument panels
IMAG0653.jpg

IMAG0654.jpg

All secure
IMAG0658.jpg

Perfect Fit
IMAG0656.jpg

IMAG0657.jpg

Last of the panels added...
IMAG0659.jpg

IMAG0660.jpg

IMAG0661.jpg

IMAG0663.jpg

IMAG0662.jpg

Need to add a little more filler, one more strip of wood top to the very top and it's on to the base...

I do have ONE question... How the heck am I going to properly connect the top instrument panel to the bottom instrument panel without it flexing / breaking? Ideas?

Stay Tuned!

Last edited:

Hi Gang,

I've been doing a little research and it turns out that laminate has come a LONG way. Several companies now offer laminate (the kind used for counter tops) with a metallic look. Although we haven't decided exactly what to skin the console with, a dark metal metallic and a brushed stainless steel might work really well together. The overall look should be be close to the original?

Any thoughts?

I've also located 2in reflectors with a chrome bezel. Although these are NOT the lights we've all been looking for... this is about as close as I've come to finding those mysterious lights.

Let me know your thoughts.

http://206.214.209.238/~uapac/site/index.php?cPath=16_37_72

More to come

Last edited:

board's finally back up!

Man, this is continuing to look great.

not sure what you mean about the upper and lower instrument panels?

Hi Gang!

UPDATES! I built the underside support. Enjoy!

IMAG0668.jpg

IMAG0667.jpg

IMAG0666.jpg

IMAG0665.jpg

Almost ready to skin! Any ideas?

Minor update. I was able to create a sample "Throttle Quadrant" piece. I'm going to use this to test the formica skin. I was able to find a few cool items on Ebay.

Throttle
ThottleQuad.jpg

Rolls Royce Elbow & Screen Shot
RollsRoyceElbow.jpg

DartStarWarsOutletElbow.jpg

Updated Console
IMAG0672.jpg

IMAG0671.jpg

IMAG0670.jpg

IMAG0669.jpg

More tomorrow! Stay Tuned!

Last edited:

This build is sooo cool. Would you permit me a slight course deviation? I'm so glad you're doing the ESB version, because of the control yokes. One of the things I hate most about space movies is "flying the ship with buttons." (Forbidden World features a particularly egregious example.) I was so happy to see that the MF got yokes for ESB, after seeing Chewie rocking out at the control panel, flying the ship by rocker switch, during the escape from the Death Star. But perhaps that explains why Han's "few maneuvers" consisted of lazy drifts in one direction or another. (h/t Family Guy)

I just had to get that off my chest. It's been there a long time. Thanks. ;)

And now, back to the awesomeness.

Listing to the left? That's your move?

The ESB version is so much better than the original... but when we say better... we also mean more GREEBLIES! It's been a nightmare (in a good way) trying to find all the different parts.

You know you either have no life or your dedicated to a project when you search the net for a 2" Dome Light...

Glad you're enjoying the build! I'm quickly realizing I'm not 18 anymore... my body is VERY upset with all the twisting, and the bending and the up and down...

I'm hoping to have the console skinned by the end of the weekend. That will really make the difference. I'll know immediately when the throttle housing is finished. I'm really excited!

Stay Tuned!

Rolls Royce Elbow & Screen Shot
RollsRoyceElbow.jpg

I found that elbow on eBay awhile ago. I'm not sure it's the right model though. The ones used in SW (also seen in the Falcon gunport) have 5 mount holes around a pentagon shaped base. This one appears to be square-ish with 4 mount holes.
That elbow is from a Rolls Royce Dart (which was used on the Viscount), but I'm guessing the correct elbow might be larger and from a Rolls Royce Derwent (also another famous source for SW parts).

That is a nice piece though. As long as it's pretty close in size no one would notice.

REAL TIME UPDATES!

I bought a HUGE piece of formica this morning and tested the sample throttle housing - other than cutting the formica to shape, the process is VERY easy. Cut a piece to shape, roll contact cement/adhesive to each piece, wait until dry to touch, and then lay the two pieces together.

I'm now taking the plunge to skin one side. With the piece this big I'll use wood to act as guides before laying into position.

Practice piece
IMAG0674.jpg

Prepping for skin
IMAG0676.jpg

Tough to see but there is a layer of contact cement...
IMAG0677.jpg

Stay tuned for the results!

Last edited:

The skin has been laid... now we play the waiting game...

Lay pieces of wood across the panel and adjust position before laying into place. The contact cement is really strong and you have ONE SHOT to lay the formica!!!
IMAG0678.jpg

I then laid the formica on top of the wood planks and adjusted/moved the skin to its correct position
IMAG0679.jpg

Then I slowly removed each piece of wood, one at a time, while pressing the formica firmly into place. I then took a roller and rolled from the center out to make sure to remove any air bubbles and create a strong contact
IMAG0680.jpg

I'll wait a few more minutes and then route the edges for a nice smooth finish. I then repeat this process on every panel... UGH...

Last edited:

TA-DA!!!!

edges are all routed and looking pretty good...
IMAG0681.jpg

Gee... only 8 more sides to go...

UPDATES!

Both sides are now finished along with the back. I ran out of formica to do any of the larger panels... so I'm going to take the rest of the day off...

IMAG0682.jpg

IMAG0683.jpg

IMAG0684.jpg

IMAG0685.jpg

IMAG0686.jpg

IMAG0688.jpg

I have to go back to the home improvement store and get another sheet of formica. I hope to have at least the console and the support skinned tomorrow. I'm holding off on the 2 instrument panels until I have better idea of how I'm going to mount the rockers and buttons. Both panels, like the original, are very thick so I need to figure out what to do... Better safe than sorry.

I will also be priming the console and working with MDF to try to make the little view screen located next to the throttle housing. The original viewscreen is / was a Mitchell matte box from and old 40's / 50's Mitchell movie camera. An original will cost 400-600 dollars and instead of destroying something of that value, I'll attempt to make IT myself and then paint it with a texture paint...

She's getting heavy too...

Stay Tuned!

Last edited:

UPDATES!
I will also be priming the console and working with MDF to try to make the little view screen located next to the throttle housing. The original viewscreen is / was a Mitchell matte box from and old 40's / 50's Mitchell movie camera. An original will cost 400-600 dollars and instead of destroying something of that value, I'll attempt to make IT myself and then paint it with a texture paint...

The paint on some of those old cameras looks like “crinkle black”. Baking the applied paint was involved to get the texture. I don’t think it is still available, but Eastwood carries an aerosol paint called “Black Wrinkle Finish Paint” that is supposed to look the same. No baking is required, but apparently 2 heavy coats are needed, and the texture appears in 12 hours.

Mark

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back