1:1 Millennium Falcon Cockpit Replica - Group Build

Re: 1:1 Millennium Falcon Console Replica

And this is where we are at the end of the weekend... I was hoping to be much further ahead - as always.

Letting filler dry.
IMAG1011.jpg

Well... another week of work to distract us all from fun...

And this is where we are at the end of the weekend... I was hoping to be much further ahead - as always.

Letting filler dry.
IMAG1011.jpg

Well... another week of work to distract us all from fun...

what kind of filler are you using? I have always used bondo and epoxy, but its a pain in the :behave :confused :confused :confused

Looks fantastic to brother, and it has motivated me so much I got up at 6:00 am today and ditched my wife to work in the garage!!!!

Hey Fuzz,

I'm using simple Elmer's wood filler. I've had total success with it. Having worked with fiberglass in the past I know how frustrating bondo can be. It takes SO MUCH out of you to sand and the dust never ends! But it does have a quick dry time.

These projects are awesome! I was in the garage right around the same time taking measurements, painting, etc... Although hot and humid, the summer does gives us long days!

Just visited your website - GREAT design!!! LOVE the projects you're doing!

Last edited:

Hey Fuzz,

I'm using simple Elmer's wood filler. I've had total success with it. Having worked with fiberglass in the past I know how frustrating bondo can be. It takes SO MUCH out of you to sand and the dust never ends! But it does have a quick dry time.

These projects are awesome! I was in the garage right around the same time taking measurements, painting, etc... Although hot and humid, the summer does gives us long days!

Just visited your website - GREAT design!!! LOVE the projects you're doing!

Thanks man, the website is a work in progress, just like everything in my life :confused

SK,
you just might be able to save the Formica-ed pieces. Some time ago as a test, I tried Krylon Fusion on one of my ugly kitchen cabinet doors, which are sheathed in Formica. Lo and behold, the Fusion paint stuck to the Formica like there was no tomorrow. Very tenacious. I didn’t even sand it first or use Fusion primer, but then I don’t think the primer is required anyway. Of course in your case, you’d want to at least sand off your existing paint. You might want to try a small area as a test. Just a thought.

Mark

Great job!!!!!!!!!!!! Send me a pm if you need a co-driver for the ship.:lol

SK,
you just might be able to save the Formica-ed pieces. Some time ago as a test, I tried Krylon Fusion on one of my ugly kitchen cabinet doors, which are sheathed in Formica. Lo and behold, the Fusion paint stuck to the Formica like there was no tomorrow. Very tenacious. I didn’t even sand it first or use Fusion primer, but then I don’t think the primer is required anyway. Of course in your case, you’d want to at least sand off your existing paint. You might want to try a small area as a test. Just a thought.

Mark

Hi M,

Believe it or not... that's what my original plan was. But to make sure I did the job right I consulted with a few of folks at both Lowes and Home Depot and the majority suggested the KILLZ primer. Well... we know well that turned out. :facepalm I've had nothing but success with the all the plastic primers. Should of, would of, could of...

If push came to shove I would just rebuild the console with ply and MDF and the prime and paint. If there "IS" a next time or maybe I want one for myself, I'll definately go the MDF route and avoid the formica all together - but it does leave a nice clean smooth surface. :)

SK-

I'm a little late to the game but spent most of the weekend catching up on your thread. Absolutely brilliant work. I'm glued to your every post.

-KCG

UPDATES!

I received A LOT of greeblies in the mail this afternoon to include quite a surprise...

Received a lot of old radio knobs and painted the blacks ones chrome
IMAG1013.jpg

IMAG1016.jpg

Received 4 AWESOME panel lights... but

IMAG1020.jpg

DIDN'T REALIZE HOW BIG THEY WERE!!!! (next to a 1 dollar bill)
IMAG1021.jpg

Painted the front panel box.

IMAG1017.jpg

After pouring through all the screen grabs I decided to mask off and paint a bit more of the console
IMAG1015.jpg

IMAG1014.jpg

Tape Removed

IMAG1024.jpg

IMAG1025.jpg

Being the original Vicker's Yokes are 400-600 bucks each. I was able to get these simple yokes for under 20 dollars! I'll hack them up and modify them to "match" the original - I HOPE!

IMAG1022.jpg

IMAG1023.jpg

Stay Tuned!

Last edited:

SK-

I'm a little late to the game but spent most of the weekend catching up on your thread. Absolutely brilliant work. I'm glued to your every post.

-KCG

Thanks K,

Thank you for the very kind words. Glad you're enjoying the ride! Lot's more to come! :)

I found ANOTHER box of Greeblies sitting outside... I owe this box full of GREAT pieces to RPF Member MFP 2020!! Thank You Very Much! :)

I've already figured out places for 3 or 4 pieces!
IMAG1027.jpg

I was walking through the aisles again of the Home Depot and stumbled across this mounting bracket. I looked at the angle and thought "hmmmm... I will need to attach the upper and lower instrument panels together once they are mounted to the console...". I had no IDEA they would fit perfectly!

IMAG1031.jpg

IMAG1032.jpg

DANG-O-MAN... This sure is a bug button, I'll tell ya what...
IMAG1026.jpg

I JUST had to DO it...
IMAG1030.jpg

IMAG1029.jpg

More to come!

Last edited:

A few more goodies for this morning and then its off to work...

Pondering this idea
IMAG1034.jpg

Looks like an old radio from the 70's
IMAG1035.jpg

On the panel itself...
IMAG1038.jpg

Stay Tuned

It looks good in black, but I think the part is chrome on the original console. It's up to you though!

Thank you thank you! The plan is to paint the edges chrome and leave the base black to help highlight the greeblies. I figured I would keep in concert with the back boxes. If it doesnt turn out I'll paint everything chrome. :)

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back