My Luke ANH Lightsaber

Filandrius

Sr Member
So I've just completed my newest (and most likely last) Luke ANH lightsaber replica. This is my third one; the first was a Larbel, the second a Parks. This one is a genuine Graflex, something that I've wanted for a long, long time. I did a lot of research and used the most accurate parts available; the only thing I couldn't secure was an Exactra calculator, so I went with Philip Wise's incredible cast of the bubble strip. So long story short: vintage Graflex (from RPF member Serenity) T-tracks grips (from GINO) D-ring and clip (from thegreatgalling) and the aforementioned bubble strip. I'd also like to thank thegreatgalling for his great build thread, he was a true inspiration. Thank you all, guys. :)

As for the build itself, I went with the "not too perfect" approach, which consist of measuring but not too much, to get the "quick and dirty" finish of the real prop. I sanded the bubble strip so that it'd fit in the clamp, cut and finished the grips with a file and sandpaper, and glued them on by using the space between the grips on the partsofsw template as a rough guide (so that they wouldn't be too evenly spaced) However, even if the rest of the saber is pretty accurate, I cheated with the D-ring. Since I couldn't bring myself to drill into the flash, I glued on the clip after cutting the end off a rivet (glued on too) It looked riveted on, and the Graflex isn't irremediably damaged.

So that's pretty much it. Let me know what you guys think!

Attachments

• IMG_2458.jpg
    IMG_2458.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 40
  • IMG_2459.jpg
    IMG_2459.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 42
  • IMG_2460.jpg
    IMG_2460.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 41
  • IMG_2461.jpg
    IMG_2461.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 33
  • IMG_2462.jpg
    IMG_2462.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 43
  • IMG_2463.jpg
    IMG_2463.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 42
  • IMG_2464.jpg
    IMG_2464.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 40
  • IMG_2465.jpg
    IMG_2465.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 40
Last edited:
For me, even thought it may not be "perfect", there's always something special about just building something yourself instead of buying a mass produced object. on the other hand, this looks perfect to me. Great job.

Scratchbuilding is great. But, nothing beats the real deal. Your soul feels as it would owning a screen used prop. Great job man, as always. You maniac! :)

I don't know if i'm doing this right but i've been looking forever for a Graflex flash, i've searched ebay but they are More expensive than a lightsaber of the same Design does anyone have any other places to look?
thanks.

Craigs List, Ebay, Flea Markets, Camera Shops (but they know and will jack prices up). Really it's what you search. Look for lots of old camera equip. and stuff like that. Shop in the category in which it would be cheaper and more common. These things are not of much value to camera enthusiasts. searching Graflex 3 cell flash is pretty up front, but browsing the vintage camera section, you're likely to come upon a lot, or a couple items that someone is selling from a photography collection to get rid of them. Mine was someone selling his uncles Camera/Photography collection and i asked if he had one of these in there. Craigs list, I tried it, demanded (well asked specifically) for photos and stuff of that nature and his uncle had one in pristine condition. So...hope that helps haha Just be a little intuitive when searching, search under things and not in plain sight.

Scratchbuilding is great. But, nothing beats the real deal.

I wasn´t talking about scratchbuilding, but that has it´s own fun-factor, for sure. I was talking about making your own stuff with your own tool from the correct parts, instead of buying prebuild licensed replicas in a online-shop, or something that way.

Your soul feels as it would owning a screen used prop.

To be honest ..... up to now i´ve never had that feeling with any of my real parts props. But on the other hand, "screenused" means nothing to me, other than maybe a possibility of reselling it with profit

For me it´s all about the fun of building the stuff.

Thanks for the kind words guys, it's really appreciated. :)

And yes, I totally agree with the building yourself vs. buying a mass produced replica. After all, hand-made is the name of the game in props; nothing should be precise and machined (except for the found parts, of course :p) A prop made from the correct part will always be more authentic than an "official" replica, IMHO.

Speaking of which, it may explain why a Graflex flash is more expensive than a "lightsaber of the same design". It's the same exact part that was used to make the real prop, not a fake made in a factory. As good looking as the official replicas are, they don't use the correct parts. Nuff said!

SUPER Nice! I love the ANH...

I've build an ESB and last night just finished an ANH, but I'm saving the Gino grips and rebelscum strip for my own personal one. This looks great!

Excellent question. I have a ANH Obi in the works, as well as a Rocketeer helmet, an Aliens Pulse Rifle and a Ghostbuster Proton Pack (yeah, another one) Let's just say that my free time will be busy in the next few months. :p

This thread is more than 4 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back