Tie fighter paint

The EPA or OSHA or something had issues with the way Tamiya labeled their paints which prompted delays. The earthquake/tsunami last year also played a role. Tamiya primer came back for a while, as did some colors, but the full line is NOT available yet.

This makes me sad.

Gene

I don't know if you can do it in all states but one of the things that i have been doing is getting a swatch of the color I want, either by spraying a small square of styrene with what i want or getting a swatch from the paint section at a home store. I can then take that swatch to a professional auto paint store and they have an optical scanner that will match the color near exactly.
They can then put that color, either flat, semi flat or gloss into a spay can, one of the bigger cans like you would see Krylon in, I always get them to do it as flat as possible. The can should have approx 3x the amount of paint as a Tamiya spray can, and costs about $24, which is about the amount of 3 cans.

I think it's worth it for a couple of reasons, in the case of the tie, the Tamiya haze grey is semi flat if i remember right, but i can get a can that is flat, and these come out dead flat. Also it's great to have the can just sitting there always ready to spray, finish a few parts, spray them, go work on other parts while they cure. No need to set up an airbrush for basecoats, these cans have a very fine spray, as good if not better than most hobby spray cans. Lastly, it's good to have a small library of colors, the shop has a file with the colors I get, so if i run out or need it for a similar project I just bring them the paint #.

mike

Wow, Mike! That's a great idea. I had no idea you can get custom spray paints like that. Thanks for sharing that.

If you're doing a small scale, I find Tamiya XF-19 a good colour. Not quite as blue. On the smaller models, the blue tends to be a little overwhelming to my eyes.

All depends on your personal preference I suppose.

Even on SS, I find that the blue-gray photographs well, but if not under bright lights, can be rather... blue.

Is it more typical to match the color of the actual Studio Model or match the color it appeared on screen?

Can open. Worms EVERYWHERE! :lol (Long story. Short answer - it's your preference.)

I don't know if you can do it in all states but one of the things that i have been doing is getting a swatch of the color I want, either by spraying a small square of styrene with what i want or getting a swatch from the paint section at a home store. I can then take that swatch to a professional auto paint store and they have an optical scanner that will match the color near exactly.
They can then put that color, either flat, semi flat or gloss into a spay can, one of the bigger cans like you would see Krylon in, I always get them to do it as flat as possible. The can should have approx 3x the amount of paint as a Tamiya spray can, and costs about $24, which is about the amount of 3 cans.

I think it's worth it for a couple of reasons, in the case of the tie, the Tamiya haze grey is semi flat if i remember right, but i can get a can that is flat, and these come out dead flat. Also it's great to have the can just sitting there always ready to spray, finish a few parts, spray them, go work on other parts while they cure. No need to set up an airbrush for basecoats, these cans have a very fine spray, as good if not better than most hobby spray cans. Lastly, it's good to have a small library of colors, the shop has a file with the colors I get, so if i run out or need it for a similar project I just bring them the paint #.

mike

In fact, that is precisely what we did for eFX's TIE. Bryan and I took the original hatch part that I have and went to a local auto paint place and they matched it and whipped up a batch for Bryan and myself. It rust the place implicitly as guys like Greg Jein and BOSS and other model co's have been using the place for years. The only drag is that due to AQMD issues, they have to use urethane synthetic lacquers instead of the good-ole cancer causing stuff that was used in the 80's. Still Carson Dyle and I have gotten some of these cans, and though pricey, they are definitely the way to go on big projects.

Gene

This thread is more than 11 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back