How to plastic coat foam costume pieces

thanks xrobots it was def inspired by your work.

Also you brought up another point i forgot. 305 has a natural glossiness to it. I noticed it after putting a few coats on. In fact the red paint i used is matte finish not glossy.

Endo - Any close-ups of the finished 305 pieces?

@Blackwindpep87

I'm sort of confused by your comments. I'm not using bondo at all. This is a casting resin being added to foam so there isn't a reason to try to create some type of rondo mixture. Plus the 65D is really sensitive compound if you are off in your mixing amounts or don't mix it just right you will get an improper cure, that leaves a slimy mess.(trust me i lost a lot of good pieces to that)

@mizuno hadouken

Sorry no pictures. Like i said before I might try to take some this weekend when I create the tutorial.

@Blackwindpep87

I'm sort of confused by your comments. I'm not using bondo at all. This is a casting resin being added to foam so there isn't a reason to try to create some type of rondo mixture. Plus the 65D is really sensitive compound if you are off in your mixing amounts or don't mix it just right you will get an improper cure, that leaves a slimy mess.(trust me i lost a lot of good pieces to that)

@mizuno hadouken

Sorry no pictures. Like i said before I might try to take some this weekend when I create the tutorial.

Thanks man... appreciate it.

side note mizuno were you the blue iron man at SDCC this year? If so I totally met you and talked to you for a bit at the marvel booth.

Hahah yup that's me. Was that before or after the marvel costume contest? Were you dressed up? It was a stressful day for me... hope I wasn't a jerk hahah.

Hahah yup that's me. Was that before or after the marvel costume contest? Were you dressed up? It was a stressful day for me... hope I wasn't a jerk hahah.

Haha no you were very pleasant that day. I believe I was wearing my Dr. Strange costume. And yes that both got so crazy busy all the time that it was stressful for everyone walking by.

Like everyone else, I think this thread is great. My problem is finding Smooth-on locally in Orlando, Fl. Is this only sold online? Any ideas on maybe national chains that carry it or something equivalent? I can order it online, but I was hoping to try this out this weekend.

I searched the thread but didn't see a question like this posted. Thanks all.

UPDATE: So, I almost immediately found a lead after posting this and see that there is a distributor link on the smooth-on website. I punched in my zip code and there's a place I can check out.

Last edited:
Like everyone else, I think this thread is great. My problem is finding Smooth-on locally in Orlando, Fl. Is this only sold online? Any ideas on maybe national chains that carry it or something equivalent? I can order it online, but I was hoping to try this out this weekend.

I searched the thread but didn't see a question like this posted. Thanks all.

You are in luck! I was at Megacon and these nice folks had a booth!
They are local distributors for smooth-on all products I believe!

Just out side of Orlando! Look me up! I am in Altamonte Springs!!!

Reynolds Advanced Materials | Everything for Mold Making & Casting

You are in luck! I was at Megacon and these nice folks had a booth!
They are local distributors for smooth-on all products I believe!

Just out side of Orlando! Look me up! I am in Altamonte Springs!!!

Reynolds Advanced Materials | Everything for Mold Making & Casting

Awesome. I JUST found them using the Smooth-On locator. And sadly, I was about a block from them this morning running an errand, then spent the next hour searching craft and hardware stores. I'm definitely heading there tomorrow.

Can anyone in the uk advise me on a decent flexible bodyfiller to use over 65d? I did a test piece with some filler and it just cracks when I flex the piece even slightly.

Great info, I will be starting my first suit next month and all of these ideas make me confident I can do it. btw I have as much artistic ability as wet cat.

I'm running into a strange issue. The 65D is going on just fine and I'm not having any problems with it, other than it does not ever get "hard". I'm using a 1:1 ratio on A&B and it goes on just fine after my PVA coatings. I wait 20 minutes and don't have any pooling problems on the second coat, but it never actually gets as solid as in the video xrobot posted. It holds it's shape, but I am still able to flex pieces... it just seems to make the foam stiffer. Is it possible I have a bad batch of 65D?

My stuff stayed semi flexible. It never gets completely rigid. But I thought it was best. Having a bit of flexibility makes it much easier to wear.

Can anyone in the uk advise me on a decent flexible bodyfiller to use over 65d? I did a test piece with some filler and it just cracks when I flex the piece even slightly.

Does anyone have the answer to this ?
I was wondering the same thing, and it seems to have been lost in the other questions asked.

Appreciate the bump. I still haven't found a suitable solution. Xrobots which particular brand? I've tried so many different types. The halfords staff generally don't even know where they are, let alone have required answers to even the simplest of questions... Lol.

Maybe I should just layer it right up so it's solid. I would like to have some flex though.

Appreciate the bump. I still haven't found a suitable solution. Xrobots which particular brand? I've tried so many different types. The halfords staff generally don't even know where they are, let alone have required answers to even the simplest of questions... Lol.

Maybe I should just layer it right up so it's solid. I would like to have some flex though.

Something like this: Halfords | U-Pol Easy Sanding Body Filler

If you're plastic coating foam then the idea was that the finish was thin, but pretty good anyway, leaving only maybe small bubbles to fill. That's what happened with the test piece anyway, although I've never tried any larger pieces to date.

This thread is more than 10 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back