Sega Light Gun & Laser Tag "Conversions"

jdford

Hey folks,

I'm undertaking a little project...my first real attempt at converting existing toys/frames to military SF props. I've never done much beyond simple props, so this is going to be quite the experience. I'm using two existing products as foundations...a Sega Stinger Light Gun for the Sega Saturn video game console (circa 1990s), and a Sega Lock-On Voice Command Laser Tag gun (1998).

We'll start with the latter, which just arrived in the mail today.

Import+4-27-12+046.JPG

I've set up a project gallery here. You can see many different angles of the base frame, plus the deconstruction and "gutting" of the internals. I was forced to cut through a cap they added to the lower-front portion of the frame, as it holds the two halves together. Hoping that can be salvaged at a later point.

I'm going for a sort of Colonial Marine motif with this guy, since it has a built-in digital counter much like the M41A Pulse Rifle. Olive drab paint scheme with aluminum alloy accents, flat black, and a few other common gunmental colors and textures thrown into the mix. In short, it will not be that sickening shade of blue for long.

You'll also notice an optics module with display lens in the gallery...these were the laser receptors for the original game. Luckily this came as a matching set, so I have an extra pistol and viewfinder/head unit I can use if I totally screw up work on the first one. Not sure what I'm going to do with the headsets, if anything. Seems a shame to waste them.

The second project is a total conversion/mod of the Sega Stinger Light Gun.

Import+4-27-12+023.JPG

Project gallery here. Obviously, I haven't started working on this one yet, either, other than gutting it and cleaning it in preparation for the first coat of primer.

The plastic is very high quality...solid, not brittle. I'm anticipating that it will take primer very well with minimal sanding. The interior is also cavernous...plenty of room for boards, LEDs, solenoids, etc. More than that, the thing is comfortable in the hand and aesthetically pleasing, and I love the "plain" appearance. It will allow me more creativity when it comes time to add components to the exterior.

I'm really looking forward to this project. I've never done this before, at least not to the extent anticipated. Should be fun. :)

~J. D.

The stinger looks somewhat like the Blade Runner gun. (Look at the cylinder an the underbarrel thingy)

_Atlas

The stinger looks somewhat like the Blade Runner gun. (Look at the cylinder an the underbarrel thingy)

_Atlas

Yeah, it definitely bears a strong likeness. The original designer probably drew heavily from popular science fiction, though it also has that classic anime "heavy caliber" fixation going for it, too. If this gun were real it would break my wrist if I tried to fire it.

I saw another thread on here while searching for other similar projects where someone tried to mod the Stinger to look (more) like the 2019. Not sure whatever happened with that, but I'm not going to go there. I have other plans for this one, muahaha.

~J. D.

This thread is more than 11 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back