5 footer Millennium Falcon frame...

Hi folks !

Near to finish my last big model, I am now planning to begin my next new one. This will be the Millennium Falcon (1:18 scale... :facepalm yes I know...).
I simply wanted to know if some pictures of the inner structure of the 5 footer model are existing ? Thank you so much for your help...

Best regards

Thank you for the reply. Unfortunately remaining pictures doesn't show how the 5 footer was built... However, I do not despair. I am sure that someone here have a good idea about it.

Thank you.

Blackbeardcrazy, are you going to use the original kit parts? If so, there is really no way to draw up your internals without having the kit parts in hand first.

My goal is to build this model without using kitbashing. Every single detail will be build from scratch trying to stay as close as possible from the original but without those parts seems to come from car/truck/tank or so.
My main idea is to place this Falcon several year after the ROTJ.
Concerning the internal frame, I do not want necessarily to replicate the original one but just having a good idea about the way it was build. Maybe later 5 footer builders succeeded to build better frame than the original one...

Last edited:
The original is made with a laminated timber ring around the outer edge and two custom blown acrylic dishes for the main hull. It seems robust and very heavy; it takes four guys to shift it. Using sheet styrene over styrene formers and MDF framing would likely be a lot lighter.

I'm with Blackbeard on this. I find it somehow iffy when I recognize kit parts... as a whole they DO look ok, but knowing it was just slapped there to add detail without an obvious function is somehow....... iffy. :) Like the MR ATAT replica... I see A LOT of allen heads on there... Imagine how big the allen wrenches were used by the EMPIRE to manufacture the ATATs. :) It would've been better if they changed the allen heads to something more "realistic"... haha, I said realistic. :)

Hmmm, you probably won't like the idealogy of Studio Scale then. Thats a major factor for us builders in that forum, to ID & use the donor parts as they were originally placed & not change them for other parts you may like, just because they look 'iffy'.

Good luck with this Falcon mate, cool project & I can see why it's in this thread & not SS.
Stu

Hmmm, you probably won't like the idealogy of Studio Scale then. Thats a major factor for us builders in that forum, to ID & use the donor parts as they were originally placed & not change them for other parts you may like, just because they look 'iffy'.

Good luck with this Falcon mate, cool project & I can see why it's in this thread & not SS.
Stu

Don't get me wrong bro. While I do like the studio models as is... and I do get the idea of IDing and using the original parts... that in itself is part of the challenge and quite satisfying to accomplish ( I can imagine). No offense meant. Its just that the designer in me can't quite reconcile seeing part of an oil pan sticking out of the side space craft. The oil level sensor would always register empty, or always full (depends how its mounted)... :)

With that being said... that's just my opinion regarding overall design. My mindset almost always hinges on the idea: What if this were a real world craft... what would/should it actually look like.

I'm new to this Studio Scale thing. I don't quite get the "overall" feel of the community yet. So far I'm liking what I see and am genuinely impressed with the builds. I could never accomplish what you guys do over there... well not in the standards that i'm seeing.

I did post a question over there regarding scaling and the acceptance (or not) of creative license regarding fine detailing.

I agree with you Locry. I am also very impressed with the great care people here are building models using only original parts, that's just fantastic !
I decided to use a different modeling approach and I feel very comfortable with it.

Don't get me wrong bro. While I do like the studio models as is... and I do get the idea of IDing and using the original parts... that in itself is part of the challenge and quite satisfying to accomplish ( I can imagine). No offense meant. Its just that the designer in me can't quite reconcile seeing part of an oil pan sticking out of the side space craft. The oil level sensor would always register empty, or always full (depends how its mounted)... :)

With that being said... that's just my opinion regarding overall design. My mindset almost always hinges on the idea: What if this were a real world craft... what would/should it actually look like.

I'm new to this Studio Scale thing. I don't quite get the "overall" feel of the community yet. So far I'm liking what I see and am genuinely impressed with the builds. I could never accomplish what you guys do over there... well not in the standards that i'm seeing.

I did post a question over there regarding scaling and the acceptance (or not) of creative license regarding fine detailing.

Hey, no offense taken mate. The whole SS thing can get deep sometimes, but I respect everyone that tackles anything. There have been some wonderful builds here, that have been SS size but using their own detailing parts, such as Lasse's Blockade Runner for one.

Hell, even Iv'e started a 32" Falcon with my own detailing, so I bat for both sides too:behave
Stu

This thread is more than 11 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back