Princess Bride Goblets - opinions about details?

Pour #3 was pretty good... My plaster mothr mold broke after pour #2 so I decided to try to take a shortcut for pour 3 and that wasn't the best idea. I used a wire to wrap the silicone mold to keep it closed, without plaster, and then buried it in sand.

The wire wasn't wrapped evenly and ended up distorting the mold, and escaping into the sand. The resulting shape was super cool looking, and the mold did fill completely this time because I poured at higher temperature and preheated the mold. Here's what it looks like before clean-up.

6306f2193eed980b67689e646129e0c9.jpg

I'm going to make a new plaster mother mold and try again. I have high hopes for #4

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Pour #4 looks pretty good!
3c533290ac57074c466327280afc5ee2.jpg
ccadb5dc34fa327b1c8edc0ce6213950.jpg
e0ba7f9936433620054b1e34d3c6232f.jpg

The only thing that concerns me is the surface finish on the petals. I think this happened because I moved the mold soon after pouring to make sure it was level, but I'm not sure.

My plaster mold keeps cracking every time I use it. There must be some sort of expansion stress going on but I'm not sure yet.
4b2b9d734475324a9be13a8d004d0b7e.jpg

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Woot, looks great zenix! Thank you for doing all the hard work on this project. I have a feeling that my Quixotic quest to get a pair of these will soon be coming to an end.

Last edited by a moderator:
I challenge you to a battle of wits!
6 years in coming, 2 years of personal searching and researching, and of course the wonderful zenix doing all the truly hard work (crowds cheering and applauding!!!)

I finally have my goblets!

All right. Where is the poison? The battle of wits has begun. It ends when you decide and we both drink, and we find out who is right.... and who is dead.

IMG_0696.JPGIMG_0695.JPGIMG_0694.JPGIMG_0693.JPG

Huh, anyone know how to rotate pictures on the forum? took these on a Iphone 6s plus.

IMG_0693.JPG

IMG_0694.JPG

IMG_0695.JPG

IMG_0696.JPG

IMG_0693.JPG

IMG_0694.JPG

IMG_0695.JPG

So, first of I have absolutely no regrets for purchasing the goblets from zenix. But since the auction is now over, and I won (!) I wanted to draw your attention to this.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/172488131169?_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT

These appear to be from the same molds as the ones in the movie and apparently there are bowls and plates that go with them, who knew? Once they get here I will post some comparison pictures to Zenix's run.

In the mean time here are the pictures from the ebay listing for posterity.

s-l1600 (1).jpgs-l1600 (2).jpgs-l1600 (3).jpgs-l1600 (4).jpgs-l1600 (5).jpgs-l1600.jpg

anyone know were I can borrow a 3d scanner in Michigan? I'd like to scan the bowls, plates, and goblets for posterity and I need to get some mold max to make two copys of the bowls and plates to go with the two goblets I already have.

Wow! Congrats!

I have access to the best of the best 3D scanning equipment here in Baltimore. Super high res detail. Like it'll pick up scratches and pock marks and fingerprints.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

So, first of I have absolutely no regrets for purchasing the goblets from @zenix. But since the auction is now over, and I won (!) I wanted to draw your attention to this.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/172488131169?_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT

These appear to be from the same molds as the ones in the movie and apparently there are bowls and plates that go with them, who knew? Once they get here I will post some comparison pictures to Zenix's run.

In the mean time here are the pictures from the ebay listing for posterity.

View attachment 700273View attachment 700274View attachment 700275View attachment 700276View attachment 700277View attachment 700278

anyone know were I can borrow a 3d scanner in Michigan? I'd like to scan the bowls, plates, and goblets for posterity and I need to get some mold max to make two copys of the bowls and plates to go with the two goblets I already have.

Holy hell! Awesome pick-up!!

Freaking out a little bit right now. I contacted the seller about shipping to see if there was a tracking number. He had already set them off to ebay's international shipping place in Derbyshire England so i'll get tracking from ebay and have them in about 20 days.

I asked him if there were any makers marks on the items and this was his response.

" No there was no mark on them I bought them years ago from a film extras and props sale, they might have been part of a film or something like that, but good luck in finding out their history...
Regards mick "

I am currently trying to find out if he remembers the company or any details about the sale. Given that the color doesn't quite match the ones used on screen I don't think these ones were used in the princess bride but it does add to my suspicion they were from the same lot.

So I got a little bit more information this morning, here is Mick's reply

"Hi David.
all I can tell you is that it was a large sale including car booters at the Windsor horse racing course which is not far from the pinewood film studios and it was in 2006, more than that I can't help but good luck with your research.
Regards Mick"

So Pinewood had a number of movies produced at it over the years, although not specifically the princess bride. However the wiki page does state that it is close to Burnham Beeches which was listed as filming site for Princess bride. Burnham Beeches is also close to Shepperton Studios, where some of the princess bride was filmed and was later acquired by Pinewood.

I suppose my next step would be to send an inquirer to the Windsor race track and see if they have any record of a sale taking place winter of 2006. I don't hold out to much hope though, because I think car booters are people who sell out of their trunks like at a swap meet.

e1d302047038c32650c82033f2660381.jpg
950f614328c1f139f8a52bb73adf5602.jpg

They came! This is just a sneak peek since I've got some household responsibilities to care to first. But you can see zenix's work on the left and the originals on the right. I do have some bad news though. Given the weight they are probably an aluminum alloy similar to Armetal from Winton but no makers marks to tell who made them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back