Mass Effect 2/3/Andromeda M96 Mattock Heavy Rifle Build V2.5 2017

zanderwitaz

Yuuuup. Here we go again!

304_realsize.jpg

So for those of you who don't know, I built this guy already at 28.5 inches long.
that particular gun had to be shipped to France, so I wasn't able to keep it :(

This one however, will be made with molding in mind, is 31.5 inches long, and I actually get to keep it! (or two)

I have to somehow top my last build:

6m96.jpg

I started with the Scope. This one has a few details that my first one didnt have. Still needs knobs n' stuff.

DSCN0458.jpg

Next was the main body.

0418121524.jpg

Layering the body/grip, then dremeling the bevels. 60 grit sanding drum, then 60 grit hand sanded, and skipped to 320. This picture has a 120 grit drum on it, but it just burns the MDF and gunks up the drum. Had to switch to 60.

0419121317.jpg

bevel complete!

0419121351.jpg

next layer, panel lines started

0419121539.jpg

I forgot a detail section above the trigger when I laminated that 1/8th inch layer of MDF. I had to use a box cutter and cut a 1/8th in section out, sand it, and install the panel.

0419121725a.jpg

With that part on hold, I did the main nody side panels. this new gun is half swiss cheese.

0417121521.jpg

My scroll saw cuts and bevels are getting much cleaner. Might not even need filler on this build if I'm lucky!

DSCN0456.jpg

Here's how I layered the MDF on the outer barrel

0417121333.jpg

0417121531.jpg

0419121649.jpg

More on that later..

Lower grip!

0418121208.jpg

0419122032.jpg

I use my scroll saw to make risky cuts like this one because I usually cant find my hand tools buried in MDF scraps!

0420121205.jpg

using styrene for teeny tiny bevel details for where that cut went

DSCN0443.jpg

This part has a double bevel half way down the top. one at 30 degees and one at 45.

I layered styrene to preserve the detail in the otherswise soft MDF.

More bevels and detail

DSCN0446.jpg

Lower grip skins. Those oval cuts were annoying!

DSCN0448.jpg

DSCN0449.jpg

The almost complete grip assembly

DSCN0455.jpg

I'll have more on the stock and carrying handle Next! Stay tuned. (Sorry for the potentially overly long post)

Last edited:
Re: Mass Effect 2/3 M96 Mattock Heavy Rifle Build V2

Floored as always by the Mass Effect arsenal coming out of the RPF. This would be the piece I finally break down and buy, though. About two-thirds of the way through ME3, I would have named my firstborn 'Mattock'.

great stuff! This is my favorite rifle in the game, i love to see all these me guns getting built. Im working on the scorpion, then a cerberus pistol after..cant get enough right!

Thanks guys! No, the trigger doesnt move for 3 reasons. One, it needs to be casted :(
Two, some strict cons will ban your gun simply if it has a moving trigger. Three, This is a slide trigger and not on a swivel so its honestly not worth the time invested to get it to move. Ill post some more pictures later tonight or tomorrow morning!

All right, more progress on the body/stock:

DSCN0469.jpg

DSCN0476.jpg

And the painful trigger assembly. I had to make a bunch of styrene rectangles and...well I wont get into it.

DSCN0463.jpg

DSCN0464.jpg

Where this all goes:

DSCN0465.jpg

This part had to be made in two layers:

DSCN0459.jpg

DSCN0461.jpg

DSCN0462.jpg

The styrene is 1/8th inch thick, beveled at 30 degrees, etc. and is a quarter inch wide. Pain.

Here is it installed on the outer barrel assembly (with some progress on the rounds, etc)

DSCN0472.jpg

Carrying handle progress

DSCN0473.jpg

hollow, skinned with styrene on the bottom

DSCN0474.jpg

all together (ish)

DSCN0471.jpg

Onward!

very nice work, still on the fence to get one of these, you making it justice mate

Holy crap dude.....the stuff you do with mdf....awesome. Nice detail!

I do love my MDF!(and styrene)

Thanks for the support everyone. Making good progress on this, just finished turning the barrel this morning.

heres some more deets:

Moar brackets. these are the narrower ones that go towards the back.

DSCN0478.jpg

more styrene on the bottom of the carrying handle

DSCN0477.jpg

I just like this picture

DSCN0480.jpg

in parts. you can see the tedious registration keys in this picture

DSCN0486.jpg

Its going to be 31.5 inches long, just like I predicted!

DSCN0482.jpg

Last edited:

This is simply an awesome, inspiring and completely jaw-dropping scratch-build! Thank you so much for sharing - certainly one of the better examples as of recently what this forum represents! Rep points coming your way!

This is simply an awesome, inspiring and completely jaw-dropping scratch-build! Thank you so much for sharing - certainly one of the better examples as of recently what this forum represents! Rep points coming your way!

If I wasn't so worried about getting this through customs once it was finished I would so be sending you one of these to finish up! :love

is this the part breakdown of the kit?

DSCN0486.jpg

Hopefully it is :rolleyes

Yes, the stock will be separate as well. That was the point of that picture, good eye!

Frosty, thanks for the very encouraging words! and to everyone else as well! You guys gotta keep me motivated, this is my second mattock and its tempting to start on something else!

Last edited:

genius! Now do the Cerberus smg and ill do the pistol. Dual Cerberus builds yo!

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back