Mass Effect 2/3/Andromeda M96 Mattock Heavy Rifle Build V2.5 2017

Re: Mass Effect 2/3 M96 Mattock Heavy Rifle Build V2

So, why the lack of updates? Whats going on with this project, anone recieved their kit? Shipping should have started end of May, but im not sure whats the current plan

Zander?

Dude, it's nineteen different molds. Going to be a little while.

I spoke with Zander about a week ago and he was ordering rubber. I imagine he'll be starting on them soon but I also know he's got like 9 other irons in the fire too.

Thanks for the vouch, Harrison. I sent cosmicx a response this morning. I ordered silicone on monday. Should be here any minute. I got quite a few people's opinions on molding materials before I ordered, Just wanted to be sure I ordered the right stuff, once.

although I know its customary to ship in the order people paid, I'll be shipping to the dragon con people first. Should only be a few days difference between the kits, but I know how stressful last minute con prep is. Hope this isn't a problem for anyone.

Ka-whew. That was giving the impression kits were overdue, glad that's not the case. You still taking orders? I love this gun.

Did you get those dims for the D9 rifle btw? I can't remember if I got back to you on that - I think I didn't, apologies for that. Have been purging my PMs since the hack.

Is an M13 Raptor on your list by any chance? :D

Every time I look at this thread I'm always blown away. Will you be taking any more orders for molds?

I've made some good progress on molding this kit, I'll have the photos up tonight!

Found camera cable!

Ok, noods:

before molding, I had to ver up the last hole. The eye peice. I used part of...something to give it a round surface. I did this on my Yoko rifle build as well for the scope lenses.

DSCN0882.jpg

First time claying. Oh the joys.

DSCN0883.jpg

Found a decent screwdriver that was good for claying.

DSCN0884.jpg

Blatantly stolen hot glue registration key method from harrison

DSCN0886.jpg

Stock matrix mold prepared

DSCN0890.jpg

Nickelodeon channel lives!

DSCN0892.jpg

This shows how I prepare the MDF. I give 1-2mm around the object. Then I make risers that are half of the objects depth, minus the tickness of the MDF surface (.25 in this cae)

DSCN0893.jpg

DSCN0895.jpg

DSCN0894.jpg

DSCN0896.jpg

DSCN0901.jpg

Second layer of goop. Oops, a little too much thickener. The third layer smoothed it back out though. (pictures are up to layer 2)

DSCN0899.jpg

DSCN0900.jpg

The idea is to glue styrene strips to the MDF as walls and pour the mold max.

The scope eye shade, the cylindrical machined part on the top of the gun, and all of the small inserts were casted in an open faced mold. They are done and came out pretty well. virtually no bubbles. I have pics of those on the next update.

This is looking awesome! I'm glad I was able to get in on this. It's gonna be sweet! Oh, and ditto on the raptor question.

Update! Special thanks to Matt Munson, Harrison Krix, and Eric Jarman for the molding tips. Of course, I had to put my Zprops spin on my molding method. Molding meets MDF, and it worked quite well. For my first molds ever, I'm quite pleased with these.

First box mold half. No bubbles, etc!

DSCN0932.jpg

Mold jacket for the mattock receiver. I blocked off the edges with foam core.

DSCN0933.jpg

then I coated it with vaseline and did two layers of fiberglass cloth. I did the same for the stock.

DSCN0934.jpg

DSCN0936.jpg

Heres the other half of that box mold being prepared. I have to make new walls out of foam core each time using my method, but its worth it to get perfectly flat "mold floor"

DSCN0935.jpg

Poured:

DSCN0937.jpg

No clean up.

DSCN0966.jpg

I waited a few days for that box mold to be done before I did the rest, In case I did something horribly wrong. (although I de-gassed about 4 or 5 times for each batch of silicone. Kinda makes it hard to mess something up I guess)

DSCN0967.jpg

Prepping the other stuff. Did all the pink molds with 1 gal of mold max.

DSCN0968.jpg

DSCN0970.jpg

should I do a molding write up? I have a lot more pictures.

second halves curing

DSCN0971.jpg

DSCN0973.jpg

Back to the matrix mold. The jacket is flush with the silicone.

DSCN0974.jpg

same with the stock. I made a little clay barrier to stop the flow of silicone, and I know where to cut it for the mold jacket

DSCN0975.jpg

DSCN0979.jpg

DSCN0976.jpg

DSCN0981.jpg

DSCN0980.jpg

Busy Busy.

DSCN0977.jpg

Sorry, no Raptor guys. The design just doesn't do it for me.

All of the above is amazing. I can't wait to see the first pull. Are you doing solid pulls or slushes? It looks like most of those would be hard to slush.

Awsome build :thumbsup love the Mass Effect weaponry, good choice.

Definately post more moulding tips and pics, there is always a cool technique that someone comes up with that is slightly different to the norm that others can use (such as myself). Fantastic job so far, it all looks really clean and well thought out :thumbsup

Looking forward to seeing one completed.

Last edited:

Inspirational stuff. Those are thoroughly pro moulds, jaw-dropping results considering they're your first.

I don't know why, but I always loved the look of the Mattock. There was another rifle that you can get, the name began with an R, was black and red. You get it on the Collector ship in ME2.

Your rifle is looking epic. I need to think about if I wanna get in on this one...

Molds are looking great! Thats a lot of casting you have ahead of you. I cant say Im envious. I look forward to seeing how it turns out though!

This is some thoroughly fascinating work, well done. A big inspiration as I commence construction of a mass effect pistol.

Herp Derp!

DSCN0993.jpg

DSCN0995.jpg

DSCN0999.jpg

DSCN1000.jpg

DSCN1009.jpg

DSCN1013.jpg

DSCN1015.jpg

DSCN1016.jpg

DSCN1018.jpg

Pew Pew!

Thanks for the comments guys. The molds arent perfect, especially on the receiver (which is a ***** ) to cast but pretty solid. I'll get better!

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back