1/700 & 1/350 scale BH Cygnus builds

Yeah, I might slow down a lot when I hit the bow and stern!

I'm aiming for a weathered brass look. The power center came out a bit yellower than the rest for some reason.

I didn't know about the bulk discount, and it's a little late now, but I'll keep it in mind for later pieces.

More parts on order, but the second set I ordered is already in production, while the first order is still just "accepted." Oh well...

Yeah, I get that a lot. Clear parts seem to slow things down a lot, but I think it isn't the only factor.

If there's any advantage to modding parts that are in it, you could cancel the 'accepted' order and get a coupon?

With the stern I have the advantage of having modeled it in full twice previously. Although that's a kind of mixed blessing because doing it yet again will surely send me right around the twist.

With the bow I'm still scratching my head. Reference is contradictory and confusing. And it is so dense, it is really going to be a painfully expensive area. I think I may have to break mine up into about six or nine subassemblies.

I looked at the interior of the command dome last night. Turns out it was cheated a bit. It works out as 80' diameter, which works for the floorspace, but the model's dome is too low for all those gantries and walkways and giant screens - you'd be bent right over walking under them.

Don't care, I modeled the basics of an interior last night anyway, with elevator, captain's station etc. The 1/350 dome is about 7cm across so it's not microscopic! I will likely leave the dome a bit frosted, but you'll know there is something inside. :)

Last edited:
Love that Shapeways! The order that hadn't ever gone into production is shipping today! Not that I mind, really. It's just kind of funny. So I should be receiving my fuel module A parts on May 29...

Ha! Yeah, and I just had my last order arrive less than three days after it shipped, whereas the previous couple took more than five days. Some of the parts connect up with others that I already had and are now half way painted, so I'll finish up the paint before posting pics. It's a couple more good 'uns though!

Oh hey Dave, speaking of the Palomino, this looks like it might be printable before long. It's Taranis's model off the net, partly redrawn in NURBS and hollowed out. I think it will work, test uploads seem to be getting past the checking. Still need to beef up the fiddly bits though.

Gah, got me Simon, hehe.

Thanks, dcarty! :)

I received the upper part of my tower last week, and some more antennae and the dome. Still haven't finished the outer cage for the dome but threw it together anyway. Also received one of the regular main hull modules; there are six of these required in all.

All these are prototypes as mentioned, so the paint job is more than a bit quick and dirty. Just wanted to see this in something other than white.

Here's some pics pre-paint first off.

Last edited:
And with nasty craft paint applied. All these pieces are destined for the scrapheap, but at least they give an idea of the final size, help work out some bugs with engineering issues, etc.

Last edited:
Thanks, Dave! At this scale you can still add almost arbitrary amounts of detail, so I'm taking the opportunity to put in extra stuff. Bits the production drew up but thought were too hard to build - stuff that is there on the large-scale insert models but not the full model, that sort of thing. The final pieces will have quite a bit more than these. :)

Thanks daverep! shaunsheep, hehe! Wouldn't be easy, they don't come cheap. I might put the tower on its own little base and make a mini model of it for my desk at work. But I have better versions of all of these coming, or will do if the Aussie dollar will kindly stop diving again. :rolleyes

Finishing up the tower superstructure at the moment, dome interior too - just a simple one, here's a couple of renders. Tower's base needs a bit of revision next, then back to the hard slog of the bow.

Primitive Dave, where are you, man? Show more goodies, I need a fix! :) (I'm gagging to see your fuel module, particularly since my prints were rejected and I still haven't got around to re-spruing the models yet.)

Last edited:
Sorry Martyn! At work, they've actually been making me, um, work! ;-)

Seriously though, I should be receiving another order today. Underside of the center section, and my third attempt to finish the observatory. No warning emails, so hopefully that shipped out in one piece this time. I'll try and get some pics for you tonight!

Next piece on order is my revised fuel module unit, which combines module A, B, and the center top and bottom. I'm looking forward to see how that's gonna work. I'm going to order my combined tank piece today, so I should be able to complete the modules when that arrives. Then it's just a few more pieces and I can start working on the substructure...

Parts update -- most of these will be superseded by consolidated versions, but I thought I'd show them anyway. Upper center between power center modules, lower center rails, fuel module A, and the pieces stuck together to give you an idea of where this is headed.

I wish, hehe...I don't get any work done at work; lately I spend all day fielding complaints instead. Mostly from people who can't read or adhere to a contract they signed voluntarily. Nnngggh...

Anyway great progress there, I second Simon, beeee-yootiful! Really gotta get my spine sorted out too.

Still farting about with my tower. Vanity post cos I reckon this render came out extra-nice...FIGJAM! :lol

1-700-1-350-scale-bh-cygnus-v4-0174-raytrace.jpg-97603d1339254713

I'm probably about done, barring tweaks for the dome interior and/or any new reference turning up. Have come up with a few refinements though both in shape and parts breakdown.

Working on some new orthos for you btw, Dave. This is pretty much from caps and stills - the tower drawings didn't make it into the batch which survived, unfortunately.

Helweit, here's another...kinda getting carried away with how much prettier the raytrace renderer is, d'oh. Takes forever and I should be working, but ehhhhh. :)

1-700-1-350-scale-bh-cygnus-v4-0176-raytrace.jpg-97617d1339264679

1-700-1-350-scale-bh-cygnus-v4-0175-raytrace.jpg-97616d1339261723

Last edited:

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back