1/700 & 1/350 scale BH Cygnus builds

FYI....
Shapeways is having 10% off and free shipping today on all orders over $25. MAKEYOURHOLIDAY

I just placed an order for more parts.

My model had a close encounter with a giant black cat, so much so that the top antenna for the command module has had to be replaced.
It arrived today- almost intact... Some instant superglue will reattach the tiny bits that have broken off.
Then paint and start praying for a steady hand while I drill out the top of the module....:eek

Pity the postal service isn't as careful as Shapeways and why isn't the cat in paw-cuffs when within 6ft of the ship? Fingers crossed for you and you'll have to let us know how/if FXD drills. I thought I'd made the only model of the Probe Ship since the original but .......http://www.ninfinger.org/rockets/catalogs/estes80/80est34.html. It never got released but there must be prototypes out there somewhere....like this Palomino. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6gInlovoHsQ to go with the 12 available 3 3/4" figures http://www.megomuseum.com/galleries/black-hole-3-34-figures/. I must have watched the movie 10 times making all the parts and I never spotted the Combat Ship though????? 581ca240f2436_IMG9034.JPG And only £900!

Marc

Patched 1.jpgPatched 2.jpgDone 2.jpg

Last edited:
The cat has been spoken to-severely.....
I re-ordered the broken section again, on Tuesday evening. This time in a different material( Black HP Nylon plastic).
I received an email about an hour ago, telling me it had been printed and was on it's way. There were some thinness issues with the part-shapeways talk for broken bits, so we'll see what happens in a few days when it arrives.
On the plus side, I've went and bought one of those dremel type thingies, with the flexible drive. It's pretty fine, so should invaluable when drilling out the remains of the old mast.
I'd rather have something the size and weight of a pen in my hand when doing the drilling, than my old black and decker......

Giant space-cat attack.....jpg

So it's official-Black hp Nylon plastic is good to go!
The part arrived today in one piece. Considering the fine level of detail, I'm surprised it held together. Just a few bends that were easily straightened out.
Much better than the old frosted extreme detail plastic.and not much difference in price.Grey plastic mast.jpg

Result,

I personally couldn't have guaranteed that it would work in Nylon, especially as it's way below the materials minimums but I'm glad it came out really well. I know that Shapeways do errr on the side of safety when it comes to wall thicknesses and I've previously been surprised when WSF printed struts that were only 0.2mm wide. As almost all the work I do is for FUD/FXD I've pushed those materials to the limits and beyond, so I know where the failure point is, but I've not done that for WSF or any of the other materials yet.

I personally couldn't have guaranteed that it would work in Nylon, especially as it's way below the materials minimums but I'm glad it came out really well.

If all the Cygnus parts were available in black HP Nylon, I'd drop $1400 down without blinking an eye.

My money is on the table, Shapeways.

How is the nylons'f flexibility? There are some sections of the build that really go under stress and twisting during the build and the "soft and flexible" material was a godsend for my build...

It's VERY flexible. If you look at the picture I posted, the four main antenna "twigs" were all bent over. I simply moved and corrected them ,with the end of a paintbrush, until they were squared off. Any time the part was set down, they would bend and need "fixed" again. So- flexible and able withstand repeated fiddling(I won't say abuse, as it wasn't beat with a hammer...).
Now it's painted and fixed in position, giant, space alien cat with-standing, it should be fine.

Looking at the materials list on the shapeways website, I considered doing it all again in aluminium, but rapidly re-considered when Ilooked at the price of the bell antenna-£130+ postage....

Looking at the materials list on the shapeways website, I considered doing it all again in aluminium, but rapidly re-considered when Ilooked at the price of the bell antenna-£130+ postage....

Unfortunately the metal printing isn't that good yet. I spoke to and forwarded some files to 3DS Systems about the possibility of printing some 1/150 railings for the Titanic with the railings 0.6mm wide and the poles 1mm.....and that was a no-go with the latest sintering machines.

A question from someone that would like to try their hand at a 1/700 Cygnus.... is there a parts list for what I'll need for Primitive Dave's version?
Here is the link to his store... is everything there except the antenna,probe ship and Palomino?
https://www.shapeways.com/shops/primitive_dave

Any leads on everything I would need would be greatly appreciated. 32buds final build was brilliant (minus the cat LOL).
Thanks in advance!
Murphy Peoples

A question from someone that would like to try their hand at a 1/700 Cygnus.... is there a parts list for what I'll need for Primitive Dave's version?
Here is the link to his store... is everything there except the antenna,probe ship and Palomino?
https://www.shapeways.com/shops/primitive_dave

Any leads on everything I would need would be greatly appreciated. 32buds final build was brilliant (minus the cat LOL).
Thanks in advance!
Murphy Peoples

Off to work now -I'll see about a making up a parts list this evening. As for the finer antenna, Palomino and Probe ship-drop Marc(above) a line- He's your man!

Off to work now -I'll see about a making up a parts list this evening. As for the finer antenna, Palomino and Probe ship-drop Marc(above) a line- He's your man!

Thank you sir! I know that has been asked for many items during the 39 page run of this thread. LOL
Your efforts would be greatly appreciated! Thank you so much.
Murphy

Not sure if this is helpful, but here is my spreadsheet of parts, prices, shapeway store and what i still need to purchase. Although I would defer to 32buds as he has been at this for a while.

Attachments

• Capture.PNG
    Capture.PNG
    70.3 KB · Views: 180
Right- here goes....

On Primitive Dave's shapeways shop:

Spaceport module tank cap x2
Power centre with sphere junction x2
Stern Back x1
Command capsule cap x6
Stern upper platform x1
Upper deck Port x1
Outboard module connector x8
Command capsule x6
Upper deck Starboard x1
Stern front Port and Starboard x1
Antenna lightbox x5
Command dome x1
Tower centre antennas x1
Spine underside x1
Base antennas x1
Stern lower platform x1
Stern lower deck starboard x1
Starboard stern engine x1
Starboard stern rocket shield x1
Stern lower deck port x1
Port stern engine x1
Port stern rocket shield x1
Outboard module x6
Bow bulkhead x1
Tower x1
Tower cage x1
Centre bow forward x1
Starboard mandible4 x1
Bow windows x1
Observatory frame x1
Centre bow ventral open x1
Tanks module A x1
Observatory dome Full detail x2
Port mandible4 x1
Fuel modules stern x1
Bow modules pt85Min x1
Centre bow top open2 x1

That's pretty much everything on Dave's site that I used.
For the top spine stl file -PM me when you're ready- I've got it in printable form.
Antenna masts, Palomino and Probe ship- Talk to Marc. His files are outstanding.
I would recommend getting marc's antenna,the tower centre antenna and base antennas printed in HP nylon plastic, simply because of its flexibility and resistance to damage. Frosted extreme detail is good, but snaps too easily.
Good luck building
Post lots of pics!

If all the Cygnus parts were available in black HP Nylon, I'd drop $1400 down without blinking an eye.

My money is on the table, Shapeways.

I asked Shapeways about coloring the white strong plastic and they said they just die the parts after printing. The white plastic sucks up the colors like a sponge.

I will be dying all my parts black, then a light highlight airbrushing of gunmetal/silver, brass/silver and maybe green. Will do some tests first but the black base is a must.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back