1/700 & 1/350 scale BH Cygnus builds

Hello Gents and fellow modelers! Been following this amazing thread and all its incredible builds for some time now, with the intent of joining the build. Just bought almost half the parts for a 1/700 build from a fellow member here that was unable to complete his build, do to extraneous circumstances. I figured I can help him out and kickstart my parts purchases. I’ll be placing an order with SW for all the remaining parts I need from Dave's and Kremmen’s (aka Nwerkie, aka Martyn) within the next 24 hours.

I've read all 40 pages of this thread (that took some time :wacko :p ), however I’m hoping folks here can help guide me on a few questions I have:

• Are all parts now available for a complete build? I realize this question has been asked here many times, but it seems that many have done hard and amazing work to update and improve parts or create missing ones.
  • I have all the armature except the required box for the bow. Does anyone have the corrected file for this they can share with me? BTW, the armature I have was laser cut from 3mm clear acrylic, will this create a problem with fitting parts?
  • I’ve read that some here are able to provide a means for getting the Palomino, Probe Ship, and various antenna upgrades, etc. in 1/700 Is that still available and how can I go about purchasing them? I have an idea from previous posts of who to reach out to, but wanted to post here and introduce myself, prior to contacting individuals blindly.
  • I have a good bottom spine. I’ve read Dave’s Top Spine is corrupted and wont print, can anyone tell me if Kremmen’s 1/700 Top Spine is okay to order, or is there a better alternative?
  • Are there any parts listed on Dave’s and Kremmen’s SW sites that I should avoid due to know issues? I’ve listed below that parts I already have.

Parts I currently have:
Spine underside x1
Spaceport module tank cap x2
Power centre with sphere junction x2
Stern Back x1
Stern upper platform x1
Outboard module connector x8
Upper deck Starboard x1
Upper deck Port x1
Stern front Port and Starboard x1
Stern lower platform x1
Stern lower deck starboard x1
Starboard stern engine x1
Starboard stern rocket shield x1
Stern lower deck port x1
Port stern engine x1
Port stern rocket shield x1
Tower x1
Tower cage x1
Observatory dome Full detail x2
Tower centre antennas x1 (in FUD)
Fuel modules stern x1

Parts I want to purchase right away:
Command capsule cap x6
Command capsule x6
Antenna lightbox x5
Command dome x1
Base antennas x1
Outboard module x6
Bow bulkhead x1
Centre bow forward x1
Starboard mandible4 x1
Bow windows x1
Observatory frame x1
Centre bow ventral open x1
Tanks module A x1
Port mandible4 x1
Bow fuel modules pt85Min x1
Centre bow top open2 x1

Many thanks in advance to you all! Like most here, I’ve been a model builder for many years and haven’t been this excited about a particular model as much I this one for a very long time. I hope to do it the justice it so deserves.

Cheers,

Rick

Ok Rick, here goes.
First off-you will have serious issues with the armature at present. All the long, thin diagonals on the armature should be a maximum of 1mm thick. These are the outer faces of the main structure. All the outboard modules, front and rear fuel modules slide over the top of them. At 3mm, you will not be able to slide the rear and forward fuel pod sections on, nor will any of the supporting structure line-up! I recommend contacting a laser-cutter and enquiring if they have 1mm stock, then getting all the diagonals recut. The original files should still be on this thread-if not I might have a copy on a spare hard-drive.
As for the bow armature- there is no file available. My best advice is to buy all the bow sections, tape them together and them measure the hollow interior dimensions, before drawing up a diagram for cutting. It's not difficult, as long as you think about what you're doing.
As for Dave's top spine being corrupted and unprintable- imaterialise didn't have any issues printing it for me.
Pm me for the armature and the top spine,if you need a new version.- RPF won't let me upload the files....
Palomino,probe ship and all antenna-go with Marc Noonan. His files are outstanding and really do complete the model.
Martin's(Kremin) files are slightly oversized and as such, do not work with the model.

Attachments

• Center span-laser cut one-eigth acrylic sheet.pdf
    83.7 KB · Views: 286
  • Center span-one thirtysecond clear sheet.pdf
    75.2 KB · Views: 284
Re: 1/700 & 1/350 scale BH Cygnus builds

THANKS!!

- - - Updated - - -

Anyone have any idea if SW has dropped printing clear parts? I just went to order a bunch of Primitive Dave's 1/700 parts and all the clear parts (domes, light boxes, bow windows, etc.) are no longer available for sale.

Looks like I'll need the following (all in 1/700):

• Antenna Light Box
  • Bow Windows
  • Observatory Dome - Full Detail
  • Command Dome
  • Command Capsule Module
If SW is no longer supporting or printing clear acrylic, would I be able to have these printed in FUD (BTW seems they have now also changed the names of some of their materials?

I'm also going to need the Upper Spine and Outboard Modules. Kremmen has them both in his SW site. His Upper Spine is listed as " Upper Spine Final (repaired) (1/700)". Do you know if those two are correctly sized, or do they have the same problem as his antennas?

Thanks again Buds for your willingness to help me out!!! :thumbsup

Last edited:
Looks like I'll need the following (all in 1/700):

• Antenna Light Box
  • Bow Windows
  • Observatory Dome - Full Detail
  • Command Dome
  • Command Capsule Module

I'm also going to need the Upper Spine and outboard modules. Kremmen has them both in his SW site. Do you know if those two are correctly sized, or do they have the same problem as his antennas?

Thanks again Buds for your willingness to help me out!!! :thumbsup

I thought I was going nuts when I was placing orders on SW yesterday. Several items were literally disappearing from my checkout cart, as well as some items from Dave's SW shop. The blow explains. As my luck would have it, SW implemented the following materials changes just as i was placing my orders:

https://www.shapeways.com/blog/arch...ew_Names)&mc_cid=c085b1e82c&mc_eid=299626d41b
Screen Shot 2018-05-17 at 4.17.08 PM.png

Seems any parts listed as FUD have been dropped and most likely need to be listed with new ones. HP Nylon or SWL still their with new names. Moreover, any items available in Clear Acrylic are gone. Seems they've may have done away with that material. The project just got more expensive having to use FUD (now called Frosted Detail Plastic) for all parts required to be clear.

:(

EDIT:
Now SW has made FUD items in marketplaces available for ordering again, and automatically re-listed them to new materials name.
No joy on clear acrylic though.

Last edited:
I'm well on my way.

I've now got all the parts I'll need except for the UPPER and LOWER OBSERVATORY ANTENNAS. I also now have all required armature and am working on a corrected plan for the simple bow armature to be laser cut as well. The folks at POLOLU (laser cutting service in Las Vegas) are easy to work with and are already very familier with this project's laser cutting requirements. Surprisingly...so far all the parts I've received from SW have been perfect without misprints, defects, or any damage resulting from packing/shipping. Every time I open a SW box, its fingers crossed and bated breath. Then, happily surprised, I say to myself, "wow dude, what a nice looking part!" :eek.

I'm currently testing several internal and engine lighting effects, sound effects (just playing around with at this point), and paint apps. Waiting on the remaining parts to arrive. Hopefully I'l be able to acquire the antennas as well as the Palomino and Probe ships.

I'l be posting pics soon if anyone is interested.

Special note:
:thumbsupMany many thanks to 32buds for his help and guidance. A pricey project such as this is not without it's risk (required parts missing or not available, etc.) or to be taken lightly, and he's saved me from wasting my investment - Cheers mate! :cheers

Last edited:
Hi Buds!

Regrettably I've been completely bogged down by work and having to travel for work again. Conversely, I now have in hand all my parts from SW and a new armature in the 2 correct thicknesses. I will be starting to work on assembly this weekend and promise to take & share some pics.

No response from Marc on any of my attempts to reach him regarding my wanting to buy his antennas, Palomino, probe ship, etc. I fear I may be stuck with no antennas for now.

Cheers!

Not wanting to be blamed for necro posting, but since this great projects conception some near as dammit 10 years ago home printing has become a thing and is a very mature solution.

I have a great set up at home and regularly print parts for kits based on modifications etc, so when a friend recently asked if I had ever built the Cygnus it reminded me of this thread and the one it spawned from.

To that end A search on the Web only comes back with one set of STL files vaguely usable, a few more that would only be worth the bother if you are half bling or viewing the thing from 200 meters away, and of cause Shapeways excellent offerings from Primative Dave and Kremen etc

Cant really go for the Shapeways route spending north of a grand on a kit and then having to fund an extension to my home office to give me somewhere to store it would end in Divorce very quickly. Ive looked at the better stl files I found but they'd still need a lot of modification an acurising to be worth printing out, to a standard that would not make my OCD flare up.

Does any one know if there is a set of files to allow self printing etc. On the web I'm looking at the 1/350 or 1/700 scale.

Last edited:
I vaguely remember at one point the STL files for the 1/700 being available for download... But I VERY EASILY could be mis-remembering.

Jedi Dade

At one point, whenever Primitive Dave was active, on this site, they were. For a long time, though, they have been locked, on shapeways site. I still have a good portion of them, although some files were zipped inside zip files, rendering them unopenable. Kremmen's site has most of those files that he remade. As long as Dave has no issues(no-one has heard from him in a long time now)you can share the files I have. As for Kremmen, you'd need to contact him-probably through his shapeways shop-look for Kremmen under "shops". As for the rest of the missing antenna parts, you'll need to contact a 3d designer. I used a fellow by the name of Mark Noonan, but again, he's gone off the radar...

Don't want to get into trouble for ressurecting an old thread but this is a ship I've been struggling to find ways to scratch build for years and I've only just found all of this, which is the answer to my prayers.
I'm looking at beginning to get parts slowly from the beginning of next year but am in a position to crack on with the armature. My plan is to get that all completed first and suss out the lighting so I can get parts as I can afford them
My question is - does anyone still have Marc's plans for the bow armature? I've got the PDFs for the central column and stern, and can't afford at the moment to get all the bow components to measure and build one

Last edited:

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back