1/700 & 1/350 scale BH Cygnus builds

And the last of those...

1-700-1-350-scale-bh-cygnus-v4-0179-raytrace.jpg-97626d1339271900

1-700-1-350-scale-bh-cygnus-v4-0180-raytrace.jpg-97627d1339271900

Bloody marvellous work all round. Never thought I'd see a decent replica of this ship let alone the work of art which is taking shape here.

Clactonite

Thanks gents, Dave and I do much appreciate the feedback! :)

I'm still tweaking my tower interior. Having far too much fun with it to stop...need to work up some little dudes in robes, next. I do intend to print this though, so it's not going to be wasted effort. :)

1-700-1-350-scale-bh-cygnus-v4-0181-raytrace.jpg-97733d1339344732

Could you give maximillian some functioning blade thinghy's while your at it. Oh and some functioning railcar thinghy's for the length of the ship. Ohh nearly forgot..... Make sure you have all the rivets too. And buttons, ooh and some robot guard wotsits. And a firing range with BOB and VINCENT.

Thanks.

Bwa ha ha! OK, I'm not going *that* far. I think I can get a little group together to represent the Palomino crew, though, and some 'humanoids', and Dr. Reinhart in his chair. It'll be the moment the Palomino crew exit the elevator, when Kate calls out to the humanoids.

Max is pretty blocky and basic and the others will be simple too, not real likenesses. But I'll be printing this one in Frosted Ultra Detail so might as well take advantage of the finer tolerances of this material -- the main point will be all the spidery interior rigging I haven't added yet. :)

Shapeways just emailed me this pic and a nice letter to say 'sorry, these parts were pushing the process too far' and giving me the option to cancel. Heck, didn't expect them to print *at all*, really - I forgot to sprue them, so I'd more or less written them off.

As failures go these are good ones - I can be completely confident the next versions will work. Will likely go partly to brass rod though.

Looking great Martyn!

Okay, not as spectacular as Martyn's work, but here's where I'm at. Next piece to arrive will be a huge blob of all the tanks for the fuel modules (scheduled for delivery tomorrow). In the meantime, we've been trying to sort out all the plumbing. Here's a post of what I've gotten done so far. Feel free to comment!

Spot on, Dave! The purple pipe's join to the sphere is really iffy on the studio models. Seems like a lot of random bending there. Yours is better! Don't forget the two forward pipes have a crossover halfway up the spine. Aside from that we have this nailed down now I think. There *might* be a "forward" pipe on the junction sphere, you can see something in the travel tube scene. Can't decide.

Thanks Martyn -- I'm glad we're closing in on this. I know what you mean about the random bending on the studio model. I keep going back and forth about whether I should try to match every quirk of the studio model or go for a cleaned-up version. As much as I love the organic quality of the original, I think if I try to match the studio model too closely people will just think I did a sloppy job building. So cleaned up is winning cuz it'll probably require less 'splainin. ;-)

Ok, what do you mean about the forward pipes having a crossover? I'm not comprehending. And executive decision -- there is no forward pipe on the junction sphere. [fingers in ears, chanting "LA LA LA LA...]

;-)

LOL! It's possibly a phantom. I just can't make my mind up on that one. Iffy evidence.

Yeah, on my original CG builds I did include a lot of stuff I'm sure the modelmakers weren't that happy with. This time around I'm going for "as conceptualised" rather than "as built". I'm synthesising stuff from the drawings, the 2 12 foot models and all three (?) insert models, and I've thrown in one or two artistic license dealies too - things like spots where I suspect there was bracing but the ref is too low-res to make it out.

Given that approach, my pipe bends might as well be tidy and regular. I abhore the 'floating pipes' thing too, so I'm going to add a few unobtrusive braces here and there, as with your braces for the spinal pipes.

Ah, the crossover is just a connecting pipe - transverse, across the top of the spine, half way up to the power centre. Both sets have one, fore and aft of the antenna tower.

Ahhh -- I know what you're talking about now. I thought it might be a mounting bracket.

So do you think the pipes from the front should be the same only rotated 180 degrees, even though they don't have to fit around the travel tube tressle? Or more simplified?

Okay, so for the bow, where do you think the pipes coming out of the top of the spheres go? Straight down into the bow structure? Or bent to go somewhere else? I'm leaning towards the former. When they're there at all -- sometimes they go away. Also, it looks like one of the transverse pipes might connect to one of them. Its really hard to tell. Any insight would be appreciated!

hey it's the newbie here,first post.these cygnus models looking great.one of my fav designs.how about the valley forge?maybe not studio scale,ha ha.

Hi Rod, welcome aboard the forum! Ta for that. Nah, not a VF fan myself, but someone on the board was tackling segments of it if I recall correctly.

Progress has been slow recently, I'm bogged down in the bridge. Also been sick as a dog for the past week and Dave tells me he's been flat out at work. I did get some new pieces last week and finally roused myself to take pics.

Here is the new dome, with the old one for comparison. Not perfect as I can't get the model to accept the final grid line, but that can go under one of the outer frames. The lines are modeled into the inner surface of the dome as grooves. Just breaks it up a bit.

Sod! Forty minutes cleaning up after an incontinent dog, augh.

This is the antenna and base; obviously it was going to be hopeless to try to print the spike itself in WSF but I got carried away. For some reason the very base of the spike didn't print, instead it's like the bpss into which it fits just evaporated. That happens to parts of meshes sometimes, it seems to be at the Shapeways end.

Also the Palomino's landing pad.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back