1/700 & 1/350 scale BH Cygnus builds

This is great Dave ,well done.
Didn't think I'd ever see a build up of this ship the way it was meant to be.
Is it strong or are you going to put some sort of armature inside ?

That's out of control. Guys where in the world are you getting you reference images. I've seen this movie of coarse... when it came out in theaters, and when it came out on VHS. I'm just amazed at the amount of detail you've snatch from the movie.:popcorn

We're using DVD screencaps, a lot of scans from American Cinematographer, Cinefantastique and other magazines of the time, the film itself aaaaaaaaand the production's construction drawings for the original models have been of some use. :lol (We don't have the full set but astoundingly, someone managed to save a partial set of blueprints from a dumpster.)

Dave, I upgrade my 'beautiful' to 'staggeringly beautiful'! :)

So you got your hands on the reference materials we mer mortals can only dream about. I have reread this tread at least a half dozen times in the last few months, and from what I've seen the blueprints are where they should be YOUR HANDS. Anyone else would have made a hack of this. I've spent time lining up my own sad screen grabs and over and over again it's like,"there it is" your parts are dead on. I love that I can go buy the parts of this. Thank you tons.
Clint

It's a pleasure, Clint. In a sad, obsessive, masochistic sense of the word 'pleasure'. :lol Gawd, the re-dos. There's actually a lot of working out involved despite the handy refs - the drawings don't perfectly represent the final models as built so we have to rely on interpretation and guesswork for some of the fine detail.

And some things you just wouldn't want to copy; the real models were very wonky and had a lot of breakages and rough bits.

You have to find some compromises but I think we're going okay so far. :)

Thanks for the compliments guys -- as Martyn says, it's a lot of work, redos, rethinking, etc., but it's very satisfying in the long run. And expensive. But satisfying. ;-).

Also as Martyn says, there's a lot of reconciling between two differently detailed miniatures, decisions as to whether a particular feature is a design element or a mistake/shortcut, and extrapolating into areas where reference material doesn't go. All the typical dilemmas of trying to make a model of, well, a model. I've relied a lot on Martyn's trailblazing -- he's really figured most of the hard stuff.

Neo- uk -- the parts are surprisingly sturdy, but there is an armature made of laser-cut acrylic sheet inside holding it together.

And again, I really appreciate all your kind words!

Gentlmen,...Dave... Martyn...it is obvious that you might be in denial. You are total masochists:angry. That USS Cygnus looks like she would be a harsh mistress with many dark secrets. LOL:lol:lol:lol:lol
Cheers,
Clint

Cheers gents for your encouragement. :)

Just received the faulty bow piece. It may be faulty but it's still eighteen inches of EPIC win, IMO. (Have fun with that one, Simon.) It just seems that there's some tension building up in the structure and causing warps and breakages of the thinner tie rods at the front tips of the docking bay. I'll beef them up and add some extra ties in the horizontal plane and that should sort it. I'd made a lot of mods at the other end, so this was already obsoleted anyway.

Anyway, just wanted to wibble a bit. SHINY. SO SHINY. :lol

Pics!

Last edited:
Oh yeh; forgot; here are those earlier test pieces with some of the bronze effects paint I shot on the weekend. Weathering still in progress, swimming pool experiment a failure. :lol

A couple of them had the earlier grey verdigris paint on them though and the bronze paint corroded from that. Nifty.

Did I send this to you? It's been a while since I scanned it, so if not - here you go.

blackholejapan.jpg

Thanks Jason. I can't remember if you did or not but I have seen it somewhere, or very similar pics - so, uh probably yes, I guess? It wasn't in my ref stash tho...it is now of course. Thanks. :)

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back