1/700 & 1/350 scale BH Cygnus builds

They are?! I didn't do anything, apart from mucking around with the images...for some reason SW had been slipping odd renders in in place of my default WSF renders. Weird.

No mate, just the top spine. The rest was done by shapeways.
I've still the front bow section to get, but I reckon I'll be using materialise for that as a seven day turnaround, including the weekend, is far better than anything offered by shapeways, (How can checking the file take a full week...?).
What I really like about the packing from materialise is the 3d printed cage that the spine was enclosed in. Not to mention the massive box, full of plastic, squiggly things.
Shapeways put the lower spine in a very thin, transparent bag (like cling-film), inside a box and shipped it. Not a great deal of protection there!
There was no way the top spine could have been damaged, the way it was packed(short of the courier jumping on it).
The part was also printed in POLAND.
So to sum up. Seven days from order to receipt, extremely well packed and shipped from Poland via fast courier...
Shapeways take anything from three weeks for a small part like Martyn's spine antenna, to a month for bigger orders.
Then their shipping takes on average about a week.
The only parts to get from shapeways then, will be the small antenna pieces as and when martyn posts them.

I have all the PrimDave builds (the entire ship) but the upper and lower antenna assemblies. I did a mock-up of the antenna in ZBrush but everything I submitted got rejected weeks into production so I gave up. It's just very frustrating that Dave shows pictures of his printed antenna but he never made them available in his store. :/
C00.jpg

C01.jpg

C02.jpg

C03.jpg

Looks good. The only issue I can see is the step on your lower spine.
But as it's on the underside, hopefully it won't be an issue.
As for the antenna, we'll have to wait for the maestro(Martyn) to perform some magic. All good things come to those who wait!:)

As for painting these things...Standard grey primer should be ok, but what about the Verdi gras finish(is that how it's spelt?)?
Does anyone know, can this type of paint be bought for an airbrush?
Blasting this with a rattle can troubles me- I can see the detail flooded out....

MS - iiiiiinteresting. Good luck. I have a new Fuel Module B uploaded, not public yet. I'll order one once I have a few other bits updated too and make it public if it's OK. To be completely fair to Shapeways I should eat some crow. I did find a couple of problems and can see where they were coming from on this one. Doesn't explain print offsets and that kind of stuff, but a couple of smaller things were my fault - it shouldn't have passed the auto checking, TBH.

Psimon, you shouldn't accept that step issue. I got a refund for mine.

32buds, I've trialed a locally made acrylic craft paint. Metallic bronze colour, somewhat similar to the look Dave is getting but a bit darker and more metallic. It comes with a bottle of ammonium chloride solution, you dab that on and it reacts with the copper in the paint to produce a nice natural verdigris effect. It's too thick for airbrush out of the container but thinned well with water and sprayed nicely. These kinds of paints are pretty widely available - you'll have something local enough to you.

I've found unfortunately a *lot* of Dave's files seem to be corrupt. I was hoping to copy some features from similar parts and re-invent the missing ones but it looks like no dice I'm afraid - sorry. I'm not saying I won't help, just that it will take longer if I can't use shortcuts like that.

Does anyone have good copies of his .stls by any chance?

I do now have the cutting files - ta J!

Last edited:
Psimon, you shouldn't accept that step issue. I got a refund for mine.

Does anyone have good copies of his .stls by any chance?

All my damaged parts were replaced so I am good. Just need the upper and lower antenna assemblies

As for his STL files I downloaded all of them at the time I purchased my parts. I don't know how many are good but I am uploading all of them here for you:
http://www.thedragonsden.ca/cygnus/stl/

Last edited:
Oh, glad to hear that. Hey thanks for the upload; unfortunately it looks like some (or most/all?) of these have the same kinds of problems; I guess they must have gone wonky quite early on. That's just a quick test on my lunch break though, I'll check properly later on.

Just in case do you also happen to have the Outboard Module, Outboard Module Connector, Command Module Clear and Command Module Cap?

Cheers either way!

I've been looking through all my downloaded files and it seems that these parts are all just zipped zip files. They've been like this from the word go, although judging by the size of them, they must contain the proper files. I reckon they've been saved in the wrong format by mistake, and then zipped and uploaded. If anyone knows how to rectify this...

Glad to hear about the B tank frames. Speaking of which, how does one get the A tanks inside the frame? Just push, or is there secret?

As for rattle cans vs airbrush, if the parts are made of WSF I wouldn't worry about paint buildup. That stuff soaks up paint like a thirsty sponge. It took me a several coats just to get coverage.

Oh, there's a secret. There's a crappy secret. Brace yourself for crappy crappiness incoming. The side pairs of tanks? You cut them off. They're basically included as part of the main cluster more or less as spruing to reduce the cost (back when things worked that way...le sob).

Just cut them, noting the angle of the connectors carefully first, and glue them in place on the side 'shelves' making sure you hit that correct angle (yeah I should put feet on them, shouldn't I). Then drop in the rest of the cluster and fight the whole hot mess to get everything lined up.

Seconded on the paint thing. WSF is a total glutton for paint.

Edit - here are my paint tests from a while back: http://www.therpf.com/showthread.php?t=145563&p=2518736&viewfull=1#post2518736

Last edited:
Thanks to Jason, here's my take on the cutting files for Dave's 1/700 bow. Could anyone with printed parts please, please, please check these dimensions againt their pieces? We have it from Dave that these parts needed tweaks - but we don't know what, exactly. If we can confirm these are good, or get corrections, I'll finalize a .dxf and post it up.

Attachments

• Dave Bow Cutting File.jpg
    Dave Bow Cutting File.jpg
    103.2 KB · Views: 287
I just checked out your paint test pics Martyn. Out of all of them, the one I like best is the spaceport module section that looks like old tarnished brass. That's the look I'll be aiming for. Thanks for the link to the pics.:)

Just in case do you also happen to have the Outboard Module, Outboard Module Connector, Command Module Clear and Command Module Cap?
Cheers either way!

Unfortunately not. I just pulled what he had from the site at the time I placed my order.

Thanks to Jason, here's my take on the cutting files for Dave's 1/700 bow. Could anyone with printed parts please, please, please check these dimensions againt their pieces? We have it from Dave that these parts needed tweaks - but we don't know what, exactly. If we can confirm these are good, or get corrections, I'll finalize a .dxf and post it up.

The width seems to be right but it is exact with no play. I would allow 1 or 2 mm
The length seems off. I am measuring 89mm to the first cage structure then 96mm to the end of the bow that joins the middle of the ship.
The height seems correct but there is tubing that comes up 5.5mm that interferes with this measurement. You would have to cut out the tubing to get this insert to fit.

I uploaded some pics here: http://www.thedragonsden.ca/Cygnus/

Last edited:
ShapeWays said they color their product with regular fabric dyes. It soaks well into the plastic and leaves an even coat. I will probably dye all my parts black then lightly airbrush them with gunmetal and various shades of brown and copper.

32buds I like that one too.

psimon, thanks anyway. And thanks for the dims. I'll shrink width by say 1.5mm or so, split the difference. Re length, the overall is 89.56mm counting the end plates at 3mm each. Presumably this is only the "bow windows" section then...yes? Nothing for under the observatories? I thought there should be a tapered section.

Ah, you anticipated my next question. Pics are perfect, thanks for that. See what you mean. OK, I'll see what I can do.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back