1/700 & 1/350 scale BH Cygnus builds

And today I received my laser cut armature. All the way from Las Vegas, USA! Very happy with what I received. Looks like a 3d jigsaw, should be fun putting it together.....

Nothing for the bow yet. I havent got that far.I've still got most of the bow and the top spine to get before I even look at the bow section.If memory serves right,nearly all that section iN the movie was blacked out,apart from the small windows and docking tube,so a cut perspex block might do for that.Cut,drilled and sprayed. Have to get the bow parts first and take measurements before doing anything though.
Rome was'nt built in a day,after all.

I have received all the tanks, all in perfect condition:)

But, for the power drum tanks can't I figure out whether the solid end of the cylinder is the top or the bottom.

I also received the main engine nozzles and I have no clue how to install them in the core pieces without cutting something in the core part.

Has anyone heard from Dave in the past 6 months or so? I have sent him a couple Emails and noted from the ShapeWays site and although he answered me once months ago, he seems to have disappeared. I have all the parts except the antennas which he seems to have printed off with no issues in his sample pics. Although I appreciate the work he has done and shared I also can't help but to be frustrated that I spent over $1600 for an incomplete kit I can't finish.

If anyone is talking to him can you please request that he upload the rest of the kit?

Thanks!

Re: 1/700 & 1/350 scale BH Cygnus builds

I'm in the same boat unfortunately.I need the top spine. For a while now its been "not for sale". My options are thus: save up and buy a 3d printer(which type is the question?) or buy another bottom spine section and ask someone(martin)who knows how to work cad programs,can he separate the framework that supports the travel tubes, from the top spine file and make them available on his shapeways shop. Then I can remodel the new lower spine,adding the antenna base and scratching the travel tubes. Other than those options....Dave,where are you?

- - - Updated - - -

I'm in the same boat unfortunately.I need the top spine. For a while now its been "not for sale". My options are thus: save up and buy a 3d printer(which type is the question?) or buy another bottom spine section and ask someone(martin)who knows how to work cad programs,can he separate the framework that supports the travel tubes, from the top spine file and make them available on his shapeways shop. Then I can remodel the new lower spine,adding the antenna base and scratching the travel tubes. Other than those options....Dave,where are you?

- - - Updated - - -

Pesky mobile!

Does someone has (and would share) the following 6 files for Dave's 1/700: Antenna Base, Antenna, Command Module Cap, Command Module Clear, Outboard Module Connector and Outboard Module Square? The files at Shapeways are unusable.1040

Hi Guys,

I'm still catching up on this build but I've got a Form1+ and am willing to make parts if you need them. This has always been one of my favorite ships.

Bryan

Hey guys. My sabbatical on the 1/350 project has gotten out of control, sorry, definitely longer than I envisaged. But it has been quite a depressing time; some weeks it has seemed like there's been another bad news message from Shapeways every other day. They have basically admitted they're no longer interested in trying to make anything with parts under the 1mm scale (I have that in writing from them.) Of course, they're still not admitting that formally on their online materials guides, so I keep trying...

Pinshape has folded as a print service, and it really seems the "low cost" (AHEM) end of the market is left to Shapeways at this point, as the few alternative services really are far more expensive, and/or disinterested in printing this type of structure. So all this means I need to rebuild every part of the ship from stem to stern, accepting a *fairly major* compromise in the looks. I already have all but one pair of modules printed, and several of you have a lot of the structure done too. So no, I'm not doing that.

Making .stls for this is a real juggling act. You have to try to fit within several parameters: there's a maximum uploadable file size, a maximum overall part size, there's a minimum structural unit size, and there seems to be a random "embuggerance factor" in the initial upload filter AND the manual engineer's check stages of the process too. On top of all that there's a really really tricky pricing algorithm. There are - or more, there USED to be, under the old pricing algorithm - cost incentives to try to make your structures as big as practical. However that drives up your file size, so you sometimes drop the fidelity of the export to compensate (a more simplified mesh is a smaller file). That, unfortunately, often flattens out and thins round-section elements, putting them below the (kinda arbitrarily-enforced) size limits - and generating failed prints. So that's part of the issue, but it's not the main one - if a part which was printable last year now isn't, I'm pointing the finger primarily at the infuriating policy and admin changes which have been going on. (The Shapeways designer base was in a bigger uproar over this back in October than Reddit's user base is right now, lol.)

Anyway, in short: I'm sorry for the wait, and the frustration, believe me I'm right there with you. The next step is probably to try my luck at breaking the files down to smaller overall object sizes (i.e. splitting the double module pairs into single modules). It may not be good for price - that's become almost impossible to predict under the new system - but this should allow better resolution since the file size can be larger for a given object which itself is smaller and less complex. Clear as mud? :lol And *maybe* some *very small* increases in the size of the actual girders, but I'm talking 0.1mm, 0.2mm changes only, if I can help it. And as a last resort, the Print It Anyway feature.

I'm currently way behind on a couple of projects for other people that I'm really committed on and I need to make things good there. Also we are currently adding an upper floor to my house so that I'll have somewhere to keep this thing when it's done. (THAT'S HOW SERIOUS I AM ABOUT THIS PROJECT, YOU GUYS.) :lol That's at the main framing stage now, am doing some DIY with a lot more in line once its weatherproof.

In short, I'm not sure how much longer before I can get back into the parts revisions cycle but I'm over my case of the wobblies and hoping to face the grindstone again soon.

I'll post again in a minute about Dave's 1/700 and what I can do to help there...

Cheers,
Martyn

Re: 1/700 & 1/350 scale BH Cygnus builds

So, Dave, 1/700. I haven't heard anything from him either, in a very long while. I don't know anybody who has. I'd be more worried but I do occasionally get emails, no it's not a contradiction, they're virus-generated spam. Presumably this at least means someone is maintaining/paying for his account, so hopefully he's alive and well. I'm presuming for now that he's simply too busy, or dispirited, or both, to progress the project.

I'm hoping he doesn't mind me stepping in and have already done some bits for the 1/700, including one or two parts culled from his own files. I've got a few emails and PMs from others and have indicated that I will try to adapt my parts, or Dave's, for bits missing or no longer printable from Dave's model. I stand by that and will do what I can, when I can. Same basis as Dave: no markup; neither of us want to make a cent from this project. It's a labour of love, which already has a very high cost barrier to entry, and we have no stake in the IP and don't want to get sued. :lol

It's disappointing to read that some bits I already did aren't working any more, but not surprising. Brace yourselves for more of this: Shapeways really seems to be more or less abandoning the "filigree detailed stuff" designers who helped to establish them as a name. Our stuff is more expensive to produce, because they have to make multiple attempts. I guess they figure 'where else ya gonna go' and they're right, for now, but the market HAS to be ready to embrace any more competitive player who comes along.

I do go on don't I. I'll end this post here, and respond to some of yours.

- - - Updated - - -

PS hopefully I have a handle on what's required for the 1/700 but I'll work up some kind of matrix and post it for comments.

Megapost incoming...

The only thing I can figure is they are not keeping a library of successful G-Code files with which printer (and printer firmware) was successful and generate new G-Code with every order.

Yeah - if only, but I do not think they would ever have done that. They nest and reorient parts in their build trays for maximum efficiency, with parts from many completely unrelated designers/orders grown at the same time. So the G-code is likely to be unique per instance.

Primitive Dave sent me bow plans and I cut them for him, but it needed tweaking. Just waiting on that

Jason, I might be able to do the tweaks if the mandibles etc. are still downloadable. (Or even if not, since you have the prints!) I like the sound of the diffused acrylic. I know I have asked you before, but I can't recall. Can your laser cutter perform bevel cuts?

To get around the issue of frosted vs clear acrylic, I am hoping to create a pattern of wall detail that I can print out on sticker paper and apply to the clear armature before adding the scaffolding. Here is a test sample I made for my MPC model years back. The patterns for this new one will be greyscale with either yellow LEDs or some kind of yellow diffusor like crinkled yellow cellophane over white LEDs. That way when the lights are off, it will have that eery look it had in the film.

That sounds great, the sample looks good too. I think greyscale plus yellow LEDs/gels/whatever is an absolute must. The main framing isn't black or grey but rather a brass/bronze colour with a *lot* of verdigris, really very Jules Verne. It has to look good with the lights off; visible non-lit yellow would clash.

I received my latest crop of parts and all but 2 came out great; the observatory antenna base and the lower command spire. I think both are usable with some work.

Oh sod. Mine was going to be WSF but I can't recall if I ordered one or not, or if it was another print fail right now. At least the sprues seemed to work - my first attempt was much worse looking than this, if that's any consolation!

The observatory antenna base they said said they printed one (I ordered 2 but either were unable or didn't want to print the second because they did not think it would survive shipping). It almost did survive the shipping but the base sprue did not support the long legs radially so they twisted around the base and 2 broke off.

(Cartman) God...DEMMIT!!!! (/Cartman). That's crush damage, I'd be almost certain. Too much vertical pressure. Oh that's crazy, they shouldn't have packaged it in a way that would allow for that. OK...I'll sprue the legs too.

A couple of the rod broke as shown and I think replacing them with ABS or brass rod shouldn't be to difficult. Two things concern me about this piece 1. the legs do not go all the way to the bottom of the dome. Is this correct?

No. There is a slight rim on the dome base part but the legs should at least reach that. This could be resin shrinkage, I guess? I don't recall it being a problem on my failed WSF print but will have to dig it out of storage and check. (Not easy right now, half the house is in the shed.)

The other is attaching this to the upper spire (which showed up perfect). How are the two supposed to be attached to each other. AT first I thought there would be a hole in the base of the upper to slide the upper point into. But the bottom of the upper is flat. The only thing I can think of is to drill a hole in the bottom of the upper either big enough to fit the tip of the lower or smaller to insert a piece of wire between them.

I'm afraid that part is a bit of a cheat. I more or less just used the rod as a sprue for the antennas - for mine, I'll snip them off it and slide them over a hollow brass rod, so that I can have at least one of the red nav lights represented by fibre-optic. But if you want to you can build it from the part as supplied. Printing it this way just saves a little bit of cost.

My next order is all the tanks. They have printed all the B tanks but seem to be maybe having an issue with the A tanks as they are the only things not done and are still in processing. Is there an issue?

Yes. But a flakey one. I have all of them OK but also have "we can't print this" messages from SW.

I have received all the tanks, all in perfect condition

Oh good. So...like I say, flakey!

But, for the power drum tanks can't I figure out whether the solid end of the cylinder is the top or the bottom.

I recall you saying this. There should not BE a solid end of the cylinder! Again, this is a flakey, comes-and-goes issue. I got it on the first power drum I printed, revised and reuploaded, then got two perfect ones...simple cylinders, open at both ends. Go figure. I see their rotatable version of the model does show an end. Bah, I'll go fix it.

I also received the main engine nozzles and I have no clue how to install them in the core pieces without cutting something in the core part.

The outboard main engines mount on the "engine mount" and "heat shield" parts which hopefully fit OK, I only have my home-printed versions for the heatshields and haven't put all this together yet. The inboard ones are probably the ones you mean - I recall you asked on this too - I really need to post that colour-coded screen shot, right? I'll try to find time tonight. The core parts do have *several* small sprues to cut away - they weren't printably rigid enough without them.

I'm in the same boat unfortunately.I need the top spine. For a while now its been "not for sale". My options are thus: save up and buy a 3d printer(which type is the question?) or buy another bottom spine section and ask someone(martin��)who knows how to work cad programs,can he separate the framework that supports the travel tubes, from the top spine file and make them available on his shapeways shop. Then I can remodel the new lower spine,adding the antenna base and scratching the travel tubes. Other than those options....Dave,where are you?

FWIW, one of my bottom spine sections is among those which SW is rejecting, suddenly, for no good reason. So since I need to rework that anyway, I'll try and do Dave's upper spine when I get to that job.

My options are thus: save up and buy a 3d printer(which type is the question?)

Definitely a stereolithography type, NOT a Fused Deposition ("robotised motorised glue gun") type. I.e. a Formlabs Form1 or similar - but be aware you're still not out of the woods, since they have tiny build volumes. (The Form1 is 5" x 5" x 5".) And if you don't know 3D modelling, there's a steeeeeeep learning curve there, too.

or buy another bottom spine section and ask someone(martin)who knows how to work cad programs,can he separate the framework that supports the travel tubes, from the top spine file and make them available on his shapeways shop. Then I can remodel the new lower spine,adding the antenna base and scratching the travel tubes.

I'll do it, if Dave doesn't show before I get to it.

Other than those options....Dave,where are you?

I know, right? I really hope he's OK.

I'm still catching up on this build but I've got a Form1+ and am willing to make parts if you need them. This has always been one of my favorite ships.

Ooo - VERY cool, Bryan...TY and I'm sure a lot of folks would much appreciate it. :)

Cheers,
Martyn

Last edited:
Sprues for the stern deck parts.

Edit - also, uploaded a more sprued-up version of the antenna frame.

Attachments

• Sprues - stern deck parts 1-350 USS Cygnus.jpg
    Sprues - stern deck parts 1-350 USS Cygnus.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 373
  • Observatory Antenna Frame v0.7.jpg
    Observatory Antenna Frame v0.7.jpg
    265.5 KB · Views: 351
Last edited:
I still just need the 1/700 bow armature plans so I can get those parts cut. I realize there are other ways of doing it but I want the bow to lock into the rest of the armature so everything is supported. Although I still haven't figured out a cost-effective way to light this thing...

Materialise online! I ordered my top spine section from them last Tuesday. To my shock, it arrived this morning in a huge box full of those little polystyrene squiggles.
CAM01128.jpg

Oh cool. I asked them about some of my parts and got a polite 'thanks but no thanks', earlier in the year. I'll try again though.

Jeff, you're looking for "cost-effective" in a Cygnus build? Good luck with that! :lol :cry

Hoping Jason might still have those plans...

I'd try one part at a time and change just enough that they know it's a changed file and let me know when it's available. For me starting with the upper observatory base or the starboard power center frame would be nice. I told them it was a mirror of the lower/port side which they printed fine. They just basically said who knows why. It passed all the checks the printer just balked.

The observatory antenna frame was not crushed vertically, 1/2 was twisted around the base. But if they had put it in the inner box like a couple of other parts I'm pretty sure it would have arrived just fine.

I've changed the observatory antenna frame. Little bit of extra spruing, hopefully that will be enough. My last copies were ******d too, so I needed to do this for myself. But in my case, they'd managed to smash the small antenna mounts rather than the main legs. I don't think there's any way to really protect against this, unless SW returns to better packaging quality.

Every upload is treated as a new file. You can 'update' a given part with a new version, but the system resets everything if you do - for production purposes it is considered brand-new, never tried.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back