1/700 & 1/350 scale BH Cygnus builds

Re: 1/700 & 1/350 scale BH Cygnus builds

Oh just great. Now Shapeways says they can't print the B tank frames.

Mine came out fine. Apparently since then they HIRED A MONKEY WHO CAN'T DRIVE THE MACHINE and only 1 in 4 print OK.

WTF?!???!??!

- - - Updated - - -

I am so ****ing over this.

Dave must still be around. I was browsing his shapeways store last night and his upper spine has been made "not for sale".hopefully this is because he's working on it. I've tried contacting him through shapeways,but no reply yet.

That's what happens when they cannot (or don't want or...) print something. It's what happened to Martyn's B tank frames after I got my sorry email.

And now, as expected, they say they cannot print the port stern core.

I just put in an order and I expect every single part in the order to be unprintable.

Re: 1/700 & 1/350 scale BH Cygnus builds

Yeah I've just had a few more. I just had one part go back to 'First to Try' *at the same time* as them offering to print a replacement of it for the one that arrived with all the faults. The left hand doesn't talk to the right hand...

- - - Updated - - -

PS the port stern core - both stern cores - were FINE, in my instance. PERFECT.

Nnngh.

I'm just glad I ordered all this stuff last year when Dave was still around and Shapeways was operating with some kind of competence...

I had to reorder that spine FIVE times before I got an acceptable one. Only paid for one, so it really should be in their best interest to pay attention to what they were doing, yeah?!

Is Dave AWOL? I need to get the plans to lasercut the armature!

The bow hasn't been done yet. I know it's just a simple box but I want it to fit into the center section and don't trust myself to generate the correct plans for the laser cutter myself.

Has anyone gotten into lighting this yet? I've toyed with a bunch of options but nothing seems up to scattering all the light necessary. There are some new flat panel LEDs that seem perfect but I would love for someone to come up with a complete lighting layout concept...

My latest order of parts arrived perfect. All 30% of the parts ordered.

Martyn,

Are you going to put the aft B tank piping that was on Pinshape back on Shapeways. Any howtos on connecting the forward B piping to the forward manifold?

You must be getting lots of emails saying we can't print that.

Any luck on on the A tanks? Or anything?

The only thing I can figure is they are not keeping a library of successful G-Code files with which printer (and printer firmware) was successful and generate new G-Code with every order.

Scared to order any parts now from Primatives Dave's store. Shapeways seems to have gone completely bonkers. Really want to buid this model. Aside from the bow light box not finished, but it doesn't look to difficult to design. This is me hell of a model.

Primitive Dave sent me bow plans and I cut them for him, but it needed tweaking. Just waiting on that :)

Jeff - there is a diffused acrylic my friend Greg ran through his laser that will do the trick for this model, i think. A couple of yellow-ish LEDs inside, and the whole armature should glow warmly and evenly!

Primitive Dave sent me bow plans and I cut them for him, but it needed tweaking.

If you are currently communicating with Dave, can you please ask him to upload his upper and lower antenna? He has not responded to any of my notes or Emails in months. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

To get around the issue of frosted vs clear acrylic, I am hoping to create a pattern of wall detail that I can print out on sticker paper and apply to the clear armature before adding the scaffolding. Here is a test sample I made for my MPC model years back. The patterns for this new one will be greyscale with either yellow LEDs or some kind of yellow diffusor like crinkled yellow cellophane over white LEDs. That way when the lights are off, it will have that eery look it had in the film.
walls.jpg

I received my latest crop of parts and all but 2 came out great; the observatory antenna base and the lower command spire. I think both are usable with some work.

IMG_0090.jpgIMG_0091.jpg

The observatory antenna base they said said they printed one (I ordered 2 but either were unable or didn't want to print the second because they did not think it would survive shipping). It almost did survive the shipping but the base sprue did not support the long legs radially so they twisted around the base and 2 broke off. If I can figure out how to straighten out the bow that was created before the 2 broke off I think it is still usable. I think additional truss like sprue around the outer circumference and it would have survived just fine.

IMG_0093.jpg IMG_0094.jpg

A couple of the rod broke as shown and I think replacing them with ABS or brass rod shouldn't be to difficult. Two things concern me about this piece 1. the legs do not go all the way to the bottom of the dome. Is this correct? The other is attaching this to the upper spire (which showed up perfect). How are the two supposed to be attached to each other. AT first I thought there would be a hole in the base of the upper to slide the upper point into. But the bottom of the upper is flat. The only thing I can think of is to drill a hole in the bottom of the upper either big enough to fit the tip of the lower or smaller to insert a piece of wire between them.

My next order is all the tanks. They have printed all the B tanks but seem to be maybe having an issue with the A tanks as they are the only things not done and are still in processing. Is there an issue?

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back