1/700 & 1/350 scale BH Cygnus builds

Haha. Eight of the parts are showing as 'done' on my orders page, and yeah, I figure it's a glitch too - but I sent a faux-clueless 'wait what noooooo' email anyway because I'm a bit of a b*tch sometimes, and for motivation. :)

SW never responded to my latest PayPal dispute so I received my second refund today. I don't know what is going on with SW but it is not looking good.

How did you remove the additional struts on the three spikes of the engine deck? I got my Palomino in FUD a few days ago, but I already broke one of the girder sections netween the engines, and I'm afraid when I try to remove the add-on struts I will break the three spines, too. At the moment I'm really thinking to not remove those, although it would be wrong if you compare the model to the studio model.

Callamon, the answer is 'with extreme difficulty and not without breaking things'. Snip the sprues in the middle with cutters and very carefully score around the joints to the real part with a sharp Xacto or similar, then you should be able to lever them till they snap at the right spot. The stuff is just so fragile, but I can't get it to print without the sprues for those spikes. I broke mine too in a couple of places.

Psimon, it is not looking good. Since my last post I have received two more 'problem notices' for parts in my December 22 order; making for four parts rejected. The rest show as printed now, even ones which were included in some of the rejection notices previously. It's beyond frustrating and beyond confusing.

Most of the problem parts appear to be breaking in ways they've never broken before, at points which are not natural weak spots and have printed fine in almost-identical iterations. I even received a "returning this part to 'first to try' status" alert for parts which have printed fine several times, without changes! Because a customer's order couldn't be printed properly. WHY NOT?!?

I really have to wonder whether this involves problems on the post-print cleaning side of things i.e.staff training issues. Not good, whatever the case. It does appear things have changed for the worse.

For now I am going to put the project on hiatus again until what's left of the new order finally arrives. I can't build a complete model with what I have so far; I still have no Fuel Module A sections and though the mid-spine top and bottom sections print fine, the fore upper and aft lower sections won't. This is baffling - if it was just a length issue, then why are the aft upper and fore lower sections OK!? The older ones were fine, so...

I'll start designing and ordering again after receiving the order and making sure what's actually sent is OK. They must hate me over there! But it is a bit grueling on my side of things too...

Nwerke,

I understand completely. They have now cancelled almost half of my last order. AND, they are still thinking about the mid lower spine so that too may be cancelled. Unfortunately they won't talk to me much other than to say it's your problem even when I say they have printed fine in the past. They won't even let me do a print anyway.

Well, at least all the engine caps were successful. But, I'm worried about what might actually show up. About the 50% of the last FUD parts I received are visibly fubared. Eg, 3 of the 5 antenna, one half is perfect and the other half messy and as soon as it dip it in acetone prior to painting it just disintegrates.

Either the support materials they (re)use need to be cleaned big time or replaced before reusing or they have some printers in need of some depot maintenance.

My next order in a couple of weeks will probably be all the tanks in FUD. We'll see if my tank experience is any better than yours.

Last edited:
Bugger, mate, sorry to hear all that. It's just nuts. I fear they must be in real business strife at the moment. Though FWIW, we have had these kinds of episodes in the past, so it could just be too much holiday business or something like that.

Pinshape can print only about half of my parts, virtually none in anything other than their equivalent of WSF, and the majority which can be printed coming out more expensive than SW. Their upload checking is also less stringent than SW's meaning they have had to knock back a few orders after manual check were done. They mean well and are pleasant to deal with but it's almost still a 'beta version' service at present.

As for me, the replacement bow fuel tank section has been printed and is out for despatch. The delivery scheduled before 11.59pm this monday. Here's hoping it's a good one!

Finally received all the engine heat shields. They are perfect and all fit perfectly.

So, how do I tell the difference between the front forward shields and the front reversing shields. I assumed the little notches at the angled end were for the reversing shields but I have no clue if there is a specific location for them.

MS, can't recall - will check for you.

Sorry no, Jeff.

SW box arrived this morning. Scared to open it!

MS, can't recall - will check for you.

Sorry no, Jeff.

SW box arrived this morning. Scared to open it!

I've got my fingers crossed for you.

Yeah, my B tank frames and port stern core have gone back and forth between processing and production so many times I've lost count. W'ere 2 days past their estimated ship date and back and forth they go.

I'm going to worried about opening what shows up too.

Question, You have the observatory antennae on Pinshape in resin but not the new frame they mount on. A problem or cost? Any chance of getting the Spire parts on Pinshape in resin? How about the bow frame and lower observatory base to match the upper?

Re: 1/700 & 1/350 scale BH Cygnus builds

Three parts good. Six parts junk.

Serious junk, multiple problems on some - missing sections, broken wires and sideways print tray shift mismatches.

FFS. This is what we get at the new four-times-higher prices.

- - - Updated - - -

Cost IIRC, can't recall. I'll take another look. Pinshape struggle to give an OK on any of this stuff and a lot of what does get up is more expensive...but if SW can't be trusted to print it any more, then price isn't really the main issue.

Three parts good. Six parts junk.
Cost IIRC, can't recall. I'll take another look. Pinshape struggle to give an OK on any of this stuff and a lot of what does get up is more expensive...but if SW can't be trusted to print it any more, then price isn't really the main issue.

Yup, 50% of my last order was obviously bad FUD. So yeah that's why I'm asking about Pinshape. Especially I wonder about the stuff you printed out fine they canceled on me as unprintable. I'm really worried about those frames.

Anyone know anything about the forward armature section...

I don't know about the 1/350 version but the front of Dave's 1/700 is basically just a box (no complicated geometry or angles). If you have the front assembly, just measure the opening height/length/width and you are set. I hope to be ordering my armature cut soon as I have all the parts except for the antennas. With Dave gone I have no idea how I will make those now.

My replacement front bow fuel tank section arrived. Very pleased with what i received. Just the top spine,top spine antenna and bow to go,then its armature time. Unfortunately it'll have to take a back seat for the next few months as stevie just moved into his new house and is upto his neck in real life "issues"!

Aaaaand this just arrived from Pinshape:

Pinshape is Getting a Makeover!
Here, at Pinshape, we’re working to make 2015 the best year yet for our community, which means some site improvements are coming to make sharing, selling and accessing amazing 3D printable designs even easier!
That’s why, as of February 15, 2015, we will be removing the professional printing service option from Pinshape and shifting our efforts to creating an even simpler and more inclusive platform for sharing and finding downloads and streams of your favorite designs.
Have a design print that you still want to order? Make sure to place your order before February 14, 2015 (11:59:59 PST)!
How do you feel about the new Pinshape? Let us know and share you questions in the forum.

- - - Updated - - -

In English: "We're not going to be a 3D print service any more". It's like they took marketing lessons from Shapeways. Guys, guys...this is NOT how to spin!

Last edited:

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back