1/700 & 1/350 scale BH Cygnus builds

No problem, The pictures you both have put up has been helpful in detailing the bottom of my command tower. Thanks again for doing this mind-numbing subject.

My mind...sheeee ees numb!!! :lol

The MPC is a heartbreaking thing. I have the remnants of two scrapped ones; using two you *can* build up a respectable model but dear god, the work. You need to throw away probably 75% of the kit's plastic, by weight.

I have finally fixed the bugs that were holding up my progress. I'm about to knock off both the observatories at last; almost ready to commit those to print in fact. WHEW. :)

Finally...done. The observatory platforms took longer than anything else on this build so far. Not because they're complicated; just persistent 'bad object' problems in Rhino, now resolved. One of those things where you struggle with it for a while, give up, backtrack to an earlier version, start again, get the same problem, give up, go and drink booze, try again, change your mind, drink more booze, etc. :lol

Final uploads on Shapeways, will commit to print tonight. They won't include the frame for the dome, otherwise I'd never get the dome in. :lol

Looking forward to seeing how these turn out though. Should really add a lot to the core of the bow.

Agreed... the MPC kit is a mind number too , but I can do it with one. The Mpc kit does have the right detailing on the parts to keep scratch building lattice to a minimum (Bow ends, docking elevator, and probe ship medallion have to be made). Milling machines and silicon molds, but your right, lots of work. I'll have too start a thread.

Anyone who builds up a good model from an MPC is a hero in my book. You should absolutely start a thread!

I say you need two, because MPC left an entire pair of centre modules out of the ship's centre section - it has only four pairs, where it should have five. Check out Jim Small's excellent buildup to see what he did, inserting a pair of modules from a second kit.

Edit - aha, I see you're way ahead of me. Good stuff, look forward to following!

Last edited:
Martyn,
Just a few points on the Shapeways printed bow section. It is an incredible print but I've noticed a few anomalies. I placed a straight edge on the fore & aft axis and there is a 3mm bow at the center, i.e., warped. On the very back section, topside, port to starboard, there is a 1mm bow. Don't know if Shapeways can compensate for this. For a full model it might be a problem, was your print like this?
If I've been any help on this endeaver of yours, my pleasure. I would like to see this beauty happen.
So, when will the other bow section parts be available?

Mark

Hi Mark, thanks for the update, anything like this is very useful, believe me. Interesting; I found some warping of the uprights on each side at the tip of the bow, though I didn't check the rear edge. I think there's a very slight dishing at the centre but it shouldn't matter since it's to be slipped over an acrylic box and glued down, which will correct slight bowing. (The thick uprights are sacrificial 'sprue'.)

Did you find any warping of the uprights right at the tip of the bow? That's an issue more likely to require replacement of some of the elements, so if not, I'll be happy. For the overall warping I could just break the piece down into smaller parts - I probably should do that in fact, but it's just so cool as one big piece. :lol

I've ordered the base platforms and observatories, so those are in the pipeline now. If they print without any issues then I'll put them up publicly next. I'm just finishing up the antenna cluster ATM and will throw that in for print too, then it is back to the sides of the 'mandibles', including the bow engine mounts.

I'd like to get right into those but they're a big job - and I've been held up on some obligations on the Narcissus owing to throwing a party for my dad's 80th over the weekend; that needed a bit of cleaning up and organizing over the past week or so, so I have to get back onto that job and make some moulds. Probably won't get the mandibles publishable before the end of this month at the earliest, I'm afraid.

PS you've helped again right there. Decided that for the final piece I'll move the 'outer' sacrificial uprights to the outside edge, fully (right now they're half in, half out) - that is, they'll connect only to the outside faces of the main framing.

This means when I come to slide the piece onto the acrylic box, it should only need the inner uprights snipped out first. The others can stay in place, holding everything in alignment.

Martyn,
Looking straight on at the bow mandibles there seems to be no warpage on the uprights at the front. I put a square to each side and they seem to be plum. The top of the mandibles, fore & aft, have a very slight curve. I agree with the 'outer' sacrificial uprights being on the outside.
You are right, as one big piece, the bow section is awesome, except the longitudinal warpage. I'm going to ask Shapeways if there is a solution. Pictures just do not do the detail of this piece justice. Like at the front, you start looking really close and there are all sorts of structural braces inside. Amazing stuff. Keep up the great work
Mark

Last edited by a moderator:
:) Cheers Mark. Yep, I'm continually blown away; have no idea how the Mouse modelmakers achieved what they did even at twice the scale (1/192 to be exact).

Edit - here's the full observatory and antenna cluster. Just a few more grid lines to scribe into the dome and then these upper parts will be off for printing too.

1-700-1-350-scale-bh-cygnus-v4-0235.jpg-143344d1360858285

Last edited:
Wow! This goes into my detail file... love the antenna arrays. Keep up the good work. Wait, the central corridor lattice runs into the observatory riser?

Yep sure does. How far the lightbox core extended I have no idea, but that's what the lattice does.

The armature did too - it was a steel hexagonal cross-section truss made up of six main tubes running down the corridor, you can actually see it through the lightbox when the ship is lit.

I think the corridor lightbox probably didn't reach all the way to the observatory. It might have, but I have mine tapering down into the core of the bow instead.

I am a newbe here...found this site by chance looking for images on the Cygnus (this is my all time favorite starship, ever!!)...WAO!!!!

...I have four of the original MPC models...have build two of them a long time ago (when there were no LED, etc...he he he...that long ago...)....and recently wanted to re-do the remaining two taking advantage of modern tech...never thought this could be done! This is such and incredible work!....a dreamers paradise! Can't wait to see more! Amazing!!

And let me tell you, when I have come across models of this exquite quality that are available for sale, I have not thought twice about price...I have bought models in the 2,3 and 4 figures...model makers, like artists, need to be rewarded for their hard work and legacy...so keep your spirit up...and when you decide to put the model/parts/files up for sale to recover for what you have invested, hit me up...I will be here waiting for them...Blessed be you hands and mind!!!

Frankpr01, thanks for the kind words and welcome to the forum. :)

mrchester, the chance will be 100%, but I haven't done that item yet for my build. Dave has done IIRC, I haven't gone back and looked but I'm sure you can see it in some of his pics.

Incidentally I did hear from Dave; he's around, just busy and having some hassles with printing that may be similar to mine. He plans to chime in here soon.

Thanks Martyn -- Yeah, I've been having some problems with my recent orders. The parts either had problems that made them unusable, or the orders were rejected for reasons that had never been an issue before. Also, the company I work for laid off the other guy who did what I do a few months ago, and the extra workload has been using up a lot of the energy I was devoting to this project. But now that Martyn is moving on this again, I think that'll give me a boost. I actually was thinking the end was in sight until these part issues discouraged me!

Thanks for all the interest and kind comments everyone!

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back