1/700 & 1/350 scale BH Cygnus builds

Hey guys! It's been a while since I've been around thanks to work and it's great to catch up on this build! Nice job! It was fun going through it again. Can't wait to see them continue to come together!

Dave

Cabour, mine has a ton yet to do, I'm only about 50% done. Primitive Dave is well ahead though.

Daverep, cheers, good to see you back!

I'll put all the finished files up for sale anyway once they're proven, though. Might be that someone else is mad enough to have a go at 1/350 scale. :lol

Where are you thinking of uploading the files to? uploading to shapeways would be an easy way of letting people buy their own model, you could get a kickback (you deserve it) and since you've already printed your stuff with them you know what materials, etc. to call out. If you want to go the opensource route then thingiverse is a great place. Or are you just thinking of hosting the files yourself?

Ohhhh 'eck, someone just bought a print of my 'draft' bow piece from Shapeways. A damn expensive part and it's not a final one; I've modified it since...and which I had problems with anyway...had no idea it was available, my bad and I've no idea why I had that checkbox checked on, even! Was it anyone here?

If so please PM me - I'll run you through the mods you'll need to do. You will be able to use the part thankfully but there would need to be some cutting. It also may print with flaws - hopefully SW will contact you before proceeding if so. Very sorry, have taken it down now.

TJSOA - I use Shapeways, so yes, them. I really doubt there will be many takers who're really up for the full cost of a 1/350 Cygnus, it's looking fairly scary, unfortunately. A very long way into four figure territory. Still, you never know, so I'll upload there or somewhere once I'm confident about printability.

Where in the heck ARE you guys on Shapeways? I tried looking around the other day to no avail. Was just curious (for now) on what your individual parts look like.

And thanks for the welcome back! Missed seeing everyone's work...and doing some myself.

Stupid job! :lol

Nwerke,
That was me that ordered the bow piece. I thought it was very cool looking so I placed my order. Thankfully I checked your post. I've ordered several items from Shapeways-mainly mathematical art pieces, which are incredible-and their product is top notch. I'll PM you to see how difficult this piece might be.
By the way, I do hope your project comes to completion, it is simply stunning. Between you and PrimitiveDave we will have Cygnus bliss.

Mark

Cool beans, Mark. Have responded. One thing I forgot to mention, my observatory support pieces are nearly ready to print (the square/circular bases they sit on).

In fact, they *are* ready, I'm just getting mesh errors bck from Shapeways, and I can't find the problems. Anyway, once they're done, you could order a pair of those - they'd act as accurate cutting guides for the main piece.

Daverep, my Shapeways account (calling it a 'shop' seems hubristic, lol) is at Kremmen on Shapeways

Thanks man, but unfortunately, no, not really. The reason Dave and I aren't just sharing models - we could easily work on separate parts of the ship at the same time otherwise, and knock this off a lot quicker - is that Shapeways has minimum dimension requirements for walls, struts etc.

At 1/700, Dave has to go somewhat over-scale with his structural elements. At 1/350, true scale elements would *still* be below the smallest that Shapeways can print, but not by as much - that's why I can include more complexity at my scale. I'm pushing the limits and do get parts failures as a result sometimes - I still have to fudge things versus the original, but I can get my structures spindlier.

Of the two models, mine'll be bigger and more complex, but also more fragile, less transportable and stupidly more expensive. Dave's will be more practical, less expensive, more displayable and generally the one to go for. And still big!!

Martyn...took a look over at shapeways. All I have to say is holy crap! :eek Those models are amazing! Much different when you get to rotate themn around!

I've done a little 3D work many years ago using Lightwave and seeing those just boggle my mind! My hat is off to you and Dave with the work you're doing. Especially since you have to take into consideration shapeway's requirements to print. I know I've said that in the past, but man...this is very cool!

Keep it up!
Dave

Thanks dude! Really appreciate the kind words. No false modesty here, but I am a rank amateur - I'm really just farting about, only barely knowing what I'm doing. I'm getting there but it's taken me over ten years. If it's any consolation, I found the Lightwave interface eye-pleasing but that it was hopelessly painful achieving anything - once you start working with it, it's anything but an intuitive layout. Lightwave modellers have my utmost respect.

Guuuuurrhhhh...just can't seem to get anything to upload properly at the moment. That is, models upload okay, but have flaws - which I can't find at my end. I know something is wrong because I can't render properly either; Rhino loses the plot a bit if there is a bug in a model and slows rendering to a tiny fraction of normal speed.

Annoying bit is that the version I'm working on has had bugs since September and I can't backtrack and give up that much work, so I just keep trying to press ahead...

Martyn,
Notification from Shapeways, with no negative comments, that the bow section is off to the robots for production and I decided not to cancel. With the numerous 3D mathematical art models I have from them I thought this would be awesome due to its size and intricacy. So, we will see.
Keep on Sir, this will be a show stopper!
Mark

Cheers Mark. That's an indication it's passed their final checking prior to them committing to print. Mine did too, but it's not proof that the piece will print perfectly.

Mine, I think, might have been printed in a vertical orientation; I could be wrong but some of the pattern of breakages made me think longitudinal stresses built up as the piece grew.

Still, minor stuff - if yours prints only as well as mine then yep, you'll probably enjoy it quite a bit...I fondle mine regularly. :lol

You folks are a hoot. :lol Martyn, when mine arrives I'm sure I will fondle it often, at least until I need glasses... Oh I already wear glasses, guess I better start learning Braille.

Greetings, just joined because of these incredible projects. I too am a huge Cygnus fan.I spent years trying to at least do the MPC kit justice. I made parts and then lost interest...until now. Thanks for the close-ups of the finished parts. It makes for good reference material. I to am looking forward to getting some "random" parts from Shapeways eventually. Keep up the good work both of you. The computer inept (including me) are watching!

Martyn,
Haven't heard much of late, hope I haven't intruded. It's 6 PM 2-9-13, and I just got home from work. Low and behold, on the door step is a big box from Shapeways (wasn't supposed to be delivered until Monday) and in it the bow section. (y)thumbsup(y)thumbsup This is the largest piece I'v ordered from Shapeways and it it just AMAZING!!!!!! I did a quick once over with a magnifying glass and saw no problems or breakage. I'm stunned.
Many thanks to you for your skill, artistry and labour. I'm very glad, and lucky, that I was able to order this piece. And yes, I'm fondling it.
I'm just blown away by 3D printing and especially Shapeways. Fantastic service!!!!
I'll never build the full ship, but I would like to order several more sections. Heck, I want to order another bow section.

Thank you Martyn

Wow. :) :$ Mark, thank YOU, you have materially contributed to my progress! :)

Sounds like you got a good one - that's very useful to know; that the piece CAN print properly - I thought that should be possible; it's good to know I didn't really stuff it up! Means that I don't need to make some of the mods I was going to make (dreading it - not having to do that is a BIG time saver).

The next big section after I finish reworking the Observatories will be the mandibles, that is, the framing outboard of the piece you just received. Those will also be two substantial sections and would flesh out the piece you have. First test uploads indicate a likely price of around $44 each. If you wanted to make up a bow, they'd get you more than 50% of the way there. You could mount it like a taxidermy head. :lol

PS Intruding? Wot?!? Post some pics!!! :)

Also hallo mrchester, and thank you for the encouragement! :)

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back