1/700 & 1/350 scale BH Cygnus builds

The material I'm using for the majority of the model is called White, Strong and Flexible. Depending on the configuration of the part, it can have quite a bit of flex. Some of the larger, more open frame sections bend a fair amount. However, the more solid pieces like the engines and tower have absolutely no give to them. All the pieces are pretty tough -- much more durable than you might think.

I've made some detail parts like the tower antennas in another material called Fine Ultra Detail. The detail is amazing, but it's very, very delicate. I made the cage on top of the tower out of it initially, and it was already damaged on arrival and bits continue to snap off. I've managed to crush one of the brush antennas and snap the tip off another. So it has to be used with great care.

This is really impressive. With as much $$$ as you've spent ordering parts from Shapeways you could have purchased a 3D printer. But then you would have had to learn the ins and outs of 3D printing on top of everything else you are doing with this build.
Very cool.

I just had to finally make an account just to tell you folks how awesome the RPF is, and how awesome this thread in particular is. The Cygnus is one of my all time favorite movie space ships and seeing it being modeled and built here..it's so awesome. I also want to thank the artists who have so lovingly rendered the Cygnus.

I mean it. This is amazing, and seeing how you've all inspired each other..it's been so much fun to read. Man..I wish there were a cheaper way of manufacturing this, there's gotta be an audience for this model. That, and I want one ;_;

I've been using these pics as a reference for a build i'm constructing in minecraft. Nowhere near as nice as your stuff but it's cheap and within my skill range lol. Thanks again for honoring her.

Um, wow. :$ Thanks for the kind words!!

I really hope the Shapeways costs will come down in future. That'd be great. I'll put all the finished files up for sale anyway once they're proven, though. Might be that someone else is mad enough to have a go at 1/350 scale. :lol

TJSonofAnder - price-wise the job is right on the cusp of making it worthwhile to buy a home 3D printer but there's nothing available that would really work for my build - my parts are just that little bit too large for the current crop of machines and materials strength, print reliability and straightness are all a bit trickier than for the Shapeways SLS laser-sintered powder process. But I'd say that in another two or three years time having your own machine will likely be a no-brainer.

Last edited:
Yeah, it's looking like at home printing will be a pretty common thing. Scary, in a way. It's great for the hobbyist but it's definitely going to change how a lot of people do business (and decide if they're able to stay in business at all or not).

Had some trouble with Shapeways, on top of holidays and being shorthanded at work. Hope to have some new pics to post in a week or two...

Oh, and thanks!

That's a shame, Dave. I did too but with the Narcissus stuff, not this - though I have to say my last couple of prints for the Cygnus weren't really the greatest. I hope they're not growing too fast. :(

I had CG trouble too, a bunch of my Observatory objects went bad and had to be rebuilt. Rebuilding is slow work. I can't pull renders either for some reason, which doesn't help. Mostly done now, about to move on to the antenna cluster.

how.............i repeat HOW did i miss this thread?????????????????????

blown away by both the builds

also depressed that its something that i'll probably never be be able to do.

great work

-z

Hey Martyn, I don't have to say how utterly awesome this joint project is, as it speaks very loudly and proudly for itself. :) but it is pretty amazing stuff!

But I would very much like to ask you, as you now have some idea of costs, if I was to redo my eagle command module in Sketchup or Blender etc how much would something like that cost to have 3d printed? Obviously, I am talking vague ball park figures, i.e. would it be tens of pounds or hundreds of pounds/dollars? Tough question to answer, but it really is just to see if it is worth my considering going down this route...
Keep up the awesome work, you guys!

:eek :eek :eek WOW! OMG!! Mucho Awesomness!! I cant believe how complicated these are!

Its a great thread, Your both doing an amazing job of these builds, Incredible!

How do you find the time? I bet you've both put hours & hours into the drawing of these parts?
How do these parts turn up at your door unbroken?? I'm guessing they turn up on a cashmere cushion by a man on a flying carpet??

Amazing work guy's, really looking forward to the finished pic's :cool

(y)thumbsup(y)thumbsup:thumbsup

i think if i'm ever going to show folk what 3d printers can do i guess this thread would be VERY useful,

the level of detail and complexity that you guys are pulling off is some of the most impressive work i've seen on the rpf.

-z

Darren, thanks! More than tens, maybe over a hundred dollars (Oz), but not hundreds of pounds. Easiest thing is might be to give me the dims and I'll work up a rough model, upload to Shapeways and give you their figure. Likely worthwhile, IMO.

Leigh, thankew!!! Hundreds of hours, I think. Some of the parts, er, *don't* arrive unbroken. :unsure

Holy cow, zorg. Gobsmacked now. :$

Bit embarrassed as I don't even have anything in the print pipeline at the mo. Here's a couple more renders to show I'm still doing stuff. It's all rebuilds though, lately...arrgh!

Last edited:
Question. What type of rendering exactly is this? Since this is my all time favorite starship, I was curious.

This just became my favorite all time thread. :lol

i think if i'm ever going to show folk what 3d printers can do i guess this thread would be VERY useful,

the level of detail and complexity that you guys are pulling off is some of the most impressive work i've seen on the rpf.

-z
Same here. I've shown several persons who don't understand what 3D printers are now capable of, and they are blown away. Cannot imagine what these printers are going to be doing 5 or 10 years from now.

Chuck, I use a program called Rhino for CG modelling. It's a little different from many other packages in that it uses NURBS rather than meshes (it uses meshes too, but only for renders...er...it's complicated). :lol

Basically I've found it better-organised and more intuitive and flexible than most mesh-based modelling packages I've tried, so I rarely bother with them these days.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back