Ladies Love a (Wo)Man in Armor! [Iron Man MK6 & MK 7 build]

itsaplane

Working on an Iron Man build. The Mark 6 for now, will be doing the Mark 7 later. Plan to have it done by Dragon Con in September. :) Or maybe even Otakon, where I am hoping to have also the other Avengers as well. Captain America progress and Thor progress will also be posted here.

I am using the files posted on the forum by Robo and Stealth for the Mk6 and the ones posted by Dark for the MK 7.

I also also using a mixture of 3mm foam, 6 mm foam, and 3mm & 6mm plastazote foam.

I will be using resin to "plastic coat" the foam and painting with car paint or regular spray paint, not sure just yet. Using the braced knee hinges for my knees, and will probaly post a tutorial up on how to do my arc reactor (I had to do a lot of research on figuring it out, so maybe I'll try to help anyone who needs help on that too!)

and Any tips/suggestions would be super, super appreciated! <3

Last edited:
Re: Ladies Love a Man in Armor! (Iron Man Mrk6/Capn America Avengers Build)

there no time to build this in 2 weeks, you're crazy, it's impossible, you'll never do it, but then again thats the challenge :lol so i wish you good luck but im unable to offer any advice on the matter.

considering the amount of iron man builds on here i would of thought someone would have some helpful pointers for you.

Unless you are planning on spending the majority of every single day between now and the 4th on building, then yeah, there's no possible way to get that much work done in that time. Make an arc reactor to wear under your shirt or something like that instead.

my advice is to start with iron mans helmet or arcreator so that if you dont finish it you can still pull those off. same goes with cap shield first

Guys, I'm a cosplayer. I know all about time crunching. I also don't have a job or anything else to really do with my life, haha.

I like the challenge. If I don't get it done, then I don't. It's not a big deal.

I've started on Captain America already, don't plan on doing the helmet or the shield, just the basic get up.

Yeah, there's a crap ton of Iron Man builds on here. And I recall someone saying they've done theres in about a week or so, so I think it's possible. But hey, I'm an optimstic person.

Here's what I've got of the pouches, none are the same size, but... it's whatever haha. Like I said, a quick build just for me and my friend to derp around in.

What I've got of the stripes, on a test shirt. The real one is still in progress. Ignore the little tear at the bottom.

My best advice for the foam builds then is to make sure you do plenty of research into the scale and dimensions of the templates you're using. I've wasted a ton of time with too small / too large templates. I've found that simply doing measurements wasn't enough; I made posterboard boxes to the dimensions of the object in Pepakura and used those to test fit.

Wait. Are you and MaeBea the same person? Because if not I've had two different 5"2' Iron man girls contact me in the same day.

Get this, it WAS two different girls! Two 5'2" girls asking about scaling from me in the same day....

Yeah XD two different girls LOL

anyway, didn't finish it by the premier, didn't go to the premier. I had some scaling problems with the helmet. (I guess because I jumped the gun and started using a Halo tutorial on scaling o.o)

But I did get some stuff done!

my shoulders

nq8cg9.jpg

my forearms

2nte16o.jpg

me wearing one of the arms. (I later took it apart to do the hinge-set up LOL)
2daaxjd.jpg

my helmet. that, you know, didn't fit.
hwfq83.jpg

My best advice for the foam builds then is to make sure you do plenty of research into the scale and dimensions of the templates you're using. I've wasted a ton of time with too small / too large templates. I've found that simply doing measurements wasn't enough; I made posterboard boxes to the dimensions of the object in Pepakura and used those to test fit.

Yeah, I had some issues with scaling. I'd make a piece (the abs for example) and then go "YES" and try to put it on, and alas, it wouldn't fit completely. So it was like "oh poop."

i'm using the foam-green templates by Robo and Stealth and the helmet file by..Sharkbeetle? I believe.

The scaling is already sort of o_o so to make it to yourself is like..omg.

But after asking Laam, I found the dented helmet scale tutorial and will be using that from now on.

Ahaha, I honestly dislike "fem" versions of anything...unless it's canon. That's certainly NOT canon.

I don't see the big deal with girls cosplaying male characters. It's honestly 100% of what I do. This is my first time doing something that is 100% compromised of armor though.

Isn't 5'2" normal for a female?
5'5" or so is the average height of a woman nowadays, I think? Buuut I'm really not sure.

Either way, I feel short for both. Barely 5' and wanting to make a Mk6 IM suit. Aght, that'll look just strange pffft. ; 3;

----

Anyways, this build is coming along very nicely~ I'll have to watch this. c:

This thread is more than 11 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back