Cheap/fake rivits?

Tyler Brown

I remember hearing a few easy ways to make fake/really cheap rivits. I'm drawing a blank. Can anyone poke my mind into gear with some easy to do techniques/materials to use?

Cheers.

The guy that did the king richard shield and used googly eyes cracked me up. Still rattling around in there under the paint.

For the old hammered rivet look, use hot-glue to create the dots and space evenly for a row of them - looks fantastic when painted.

For big ones I have used the decorative glass marbles that are flattened on one side, the kind you use in vases for table center pieces. They would be too big for most props, but look good as set dressing.

Depending on the size needed you could try wood button head plugs. They range from 1/4 inch up to 1 inch.

Or for smaller rivits you could try the rivit decals sold by Micro Mart available in HO or O size.

HO scale decals with raised 3D rivets and other surface details

attachment.php

Last edited:
I've used "button caps", I think they're called. They're actually smooth, domed, and metallic, made to cover buttons so you can't see the button's thread holes I guess. They're hollow, like bowls, so you'll have to fill them (in my case I filled with hot glue for a 2-fer of filling and adhesion).

Try the small metal pins (brads they call them sometimes) used for scrapbooking and other craft, they come in all sizes and usually in bulk packs on ebay etc. Pretty cheap too. Just push or glue them in and paint, they would look the part.

This thread is more than 12 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back