Batteries Not Included

Wow! I can't believe they would even try to sell those in such terrible shape.
Kudos on your "I can salvage this" attitude! I'll keep watching :)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

When you finish all of the views I wouldn't mind taking a swing at using them for drawing up a 3D file if you don't mind sharing them :)

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

I won't finish six views plans for this.
And if you used my drawings as a basis you would risk copying mistakes or liberties I have made.
My suggestion is that you gather as much reference material as possible, and work from that instead.
Always look at source material before looking at interpretations! :)

More progress. I've made a new cradle for the eyes. The parts supplied with the kit will be replaced by amber glass marbles. And lit from behind by red LEDs. As far as I can tell from the photos I've seen of the original prop model, its eyes were amber or yellow, and painted with a transparent red color. I don't know yet if I will paint mine. Depends how convincing they'll look when everything else is assembled and painted.

swWxLcE.jpg

6tBQBzV.jpg

You are doing a nice job of cleaning up those wretched castings. I can't wait to see more.
I've always wanted to build these robots too. A lot of the parts are Plastruct low rise domes. I used to have some of the parts for Pa's nose and eyebrows. They were fenders and the engine cover to a car kit - I think it might have been a Porsche.

Some 3D modeling whiz needs to fall in love with this movie and render these up. Then we could print accurate kits!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Some 3D modeling whiz needs to fall in love with this movie and render these up. Then we could print accurate kits!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If anyone attempt these as 3D based print, remember that they are originally hand molded, and build most like in a rush. That means that they are asymmetrical, and that gives some character that will be lost with a perfect symmetrical 3D rendition.

Some of these asymmetries can be seen in the castings I have, which leads me to believe that they do have linage to a production original model or perhaps production molds. This however is most likely several generations of castings ago, and they should at some point have been cleaned up better than they were.
My attempt will be to make them look as closely to the shooting miniatures as possible. Even though I will be scratch building more than half of each kit.

2SXkaJ1.png

Last edited:
Nice work Staermose,

Too bad your build is a bit hidden in the screenused forum, otherwise i would have seen it sooner.

I saved some of the RPF Gallery highrez pics of SDCC, but only 12 of the 40+.

Cheers,
Wasili

I have asked Art to repost the larger images. He got back to me just now, saying he will try to do so later this week.

Cheers,
Wasili

Batteries-Not-Included-part.jpg
busy building kilowatt and i think these are possible parts from a airfix plane, the engine cover from a propeller plane. can anyone help on this one theirs a left and right both slightly different?

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back