32" Falcon WIP *update - Docking Corridors Started* 17/03

Re: 32" Falcon WIP *update - Fitting Skins!!!* 21/12

Hey I wanted to throw in a thank you for documenting your build and that also goes out to everyone else that spent the time to document and make this incredible model on the rpf. I have actually taken the plunge or the insanity and started collecting kits and buying styrene to make the 32" so all be watching your build carefully.

I have been searchin and searchin and..... I came across one of yahooGroups, called MFalcon. Membership was quick, and they have a lot of great references for both the 32" and the 5' Falcon. I hope you don't mind me posting this on your build thread. I thought it would help anyone who might be interested in following in your foot-steps. A man named Joshua Maruska posted a pdf there of "blue-prints" for the 32" Falcon... It was exactly what I was looking for to get me started. And several other websites verified and/or used his prints as a reference for their own builds with much success... They have parts lists, kit lists, reference photos.... it's really great! :)

I don't mind the post at all, hope to be back on this soon after a short break!

Looking forward to seeing you start this up again. Ive just started to collect reference images and looking into makers of certain parts, for when some time in the future I can maybe start one.

Hi JB,
I saw you direct me to the studio models section with my question about the tube that runs along the hull of the falcon. Curious have you figured out how you will be making yours yet?

Your ship looks great by the way, really good start cant wait to see more!

Hi guys, yes I will be using 3inch ABS like Lewis said, to be honest I am not really looking forward to trying to cut it correctly but I plan to do a cardboard version first, you can get 3inch card mailing tubes that will be great for practice! Thanks for the kind comments, this is a fun project but at the same time tedious, I find that doing small sections now and then helps me not get too annoyed and frisbee it out of the front door

Engine vent rings. where do we get them does anybody know the measurements and where do we get the cockpit from I know that it's based on a Dixie Cup but I'm not sure what size cup it comes from.

Um I'm really not sure to be honest, haven't got that far yet, I'm actually having a little trouble with my skins sagging slightly between the ribs :unsure

I found a post where Monsieur Tox said about using 1.5mm sheets for the skins as any thinner and they will sag, its not too terrible and I am not going to give up yet!

Um I'm really not sure to be honest, haven't got that far yet, I'm actually having a little trouble with my skins sagging slightly between the ribs :unsure

I found a post where Monsieur Tox said about using 1.5mm sheets for the skins as any thinner and they will sag, its not too terrible and I am not going to give up yet!

We used 1.5 for the Sub structure. The Plating was done in .75.

In hindsight, I would have used 1mm for the substructure, and just more ribs with 1mm vice the 1.5.

More ribs eliminate hull sag. But don't over do it, you will be AMAZED how heavy it gets. The plating will hide the hull sag to an extent.

Gray 3 inch ABS was used for the cockpit tubing. Go read what I said about symmetry. Its out there someplace.

Re: 32" Falcon WIP *update - I Got Skin Problems* 30/01

Thank you Frank for the advice, I do now wish I had used 1mm but I am going to do my best to work with what I have now, like you say I think the key is more ribs so the 'droop' between isn't so noticeable, onwards and upwards!

eh up buddy,
keep the faith mym8.it`s like loreal....it`s wort it!!!
cheers peza:lol

Thank you Frank for the advice, I do now wish I had used 1mm but I am going to do my best to work with what I have now, like you say I think the key is more ribs so the 'droop' between isn't so noticeable, onwards and upwards!

How wide are your PIE pieces? If you go more narrow,...its less noticeable.

Frank
aka "the a-hole who never helps anyone"

Frank, the pie sections are made up of 8 sections for the top and 8 for the bottom, at least thats what I have cut out at the moment.

I cant remember how many we used.

Im pretty sure..they were 2 to 3 inches MAX at the widest point.

Frank, mine are wider than that, I think for the front half I will try a different configuration and see what I get, thanks again it means a lot!

Heres a small update for you all, I managed to finish off the top skins, I went for 8 sections in total, you can see on the back half where I began to apply green putty to the seems to tidy it all up. It is very rewarding to have completed the top section, now I am going to take a deep breath and decide where to go next! :thumbsup

DSCF0781_zps067751d3.jpg

Re: 32" Falcon WIP *update - Top Skins Done* 05/03

eh up buddy.
wow ya build is comin on now!it`s a good mile stone getting the skins on.
top work mym8..cheers peza

Re: 32" Falcon WIP *update - Top Skins Done* 05/03

Nice work! Can't wait to get to this point myself! Close, though! Looking forward to see how yours progresses. This looks great!

Dave

This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back