Master Member
My BTTF Inspired Bag V2 Page 4 - Now Complete

The new version is now complete.

1cb00d2db5454e019bf2a67a606332a4.jpg

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Go to last page to get updates.

For the story of the original version, read on. (sorry that most of the image links are now broken).
attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

This was actually my first replica prop and was done back in 2012 on a very limited budget. At the time, I wanted to make a screen accurate NIKE FOOTWEAR bag, but due to the low budget, limited tools and build skills, it was more of an inspired version :cool

The story from 2012...

Last Friday [13th of April], I bought some large diameter PVC pipe for the case and today [15th of April] began shaping it. I used a 4" angle grinder fitted with a diamond cutoff wheel to cut the PVC pipe which has a wall thickness of approx 1/4". It cut OK, but I will have some sanding to do tomorrow as I did this by hand :unsure

The real bag :love is 22" x 11 1/2".
attachment.php

My choices in pipe were either 12" (pretty close) or 10". I elected to go with the 20" x 10" pipe so we will see where this goes. Whilst I have made some really neat stuff in the past, those projects involved outsourcing many parts (machining etc) and ended up costing thousands! I have no intention of spending that kind of money on this project. My "MAG" shoes cost about $65.00, so this project won't be that 'expensive' if I have my way :love

This is DIY after all and whist DIY stands for Do It Yourself, it does not mean cheap or even cost effective :cry, yet we all wish it did and take this path in order to cut costs. In the case of this bag [like the NIKE MAG shoes], you can't actually buy one in a shop. If NIKE had released these at a "affordable" price [emoji38], I am sure they would have sold thousands around the world.

So anyway, onto my BTTF inspired bag.
attachment.php

attachment.php

Attachments

• NIKE FOOTWEAR Tube Bag V3 5.jpg
    NIKE FOOTWEAR Tube Bag V3 5.jpg
    202.4 KB · Views: 1,089
  • NIKE FOOTWEAR Tube Bag V3 7.jpg
    NIKE FOOTWEAR Tube Bag V3 7.jpg
    216.3 KB · Views: 1,247
Last edited:
Re: My BTTF Inspired Bag

Cool idea to recreate this.
Curious to see how it turns out.
Keep up the good work!

jiggawho85 said:
looks great!
Palendrome said:
Looks good so far!
Caveneau said:
Cool idea to recreate this.
Curious to see how it turns out.
Keep up the good work!
Thanks Guys :)
I don't have a really equipped workshop here, so will do the best I can with what I have.

thehalfboy said:
That looks like a good start. Where did your MAGs come from?

These MAGs are known here as K-MAGs and HERE is a link to the thread about them.

Sanded all my parts back today and whilst they look better, I am not sure how I am going to make the sliding action for the lids without buying another section of pipe just for them.

Thanks guys. I have the day off today, so might run the lids down to a local plastics fabricator's work shop with a table saw and trim them up a touch. The body is looking good so far. I can also order the two ends off him as well. He will probably just cut the ends out on his router and flame the edges.

I know the real bag has a fogged look to these ends (it also went from solid to translucent in the film) and because my bad is "inspired" by and not a true replica, I might get 10% tint here rather than clear. The real bag looks to be painted and the guys that made awesome replicas covered theirs in cloth. I am thinking that sexy graphite adhesive here just to be a little different, not 100% sure yet. Thoughts?

The challenge I am facing right now is how to make the lids slide around the body. The angled ends of the real bag are what covered the ends of the lids and I am still on the hunt for something that might work here for me.

Anyway here is another pic :)

attachment.php

And back from the Mr Plastics [a shameless plug] who not only supplied the inserts but also trimmed my lids as well. He was actually surprised how straight I got them given the tools I had to work with. He asked what it was to which I took the easy path and told him a display case.

I was expecting him to cut these out using the router, but he didn't. He simply traced the inner circle of the main tube, marked an x on both the tube and one spot of the insert and then trimmed them to a rough size on a band saw, then finished them on a really big disc sander. And they fit like a glove. I've known the guy for about 12 years and he knows his stuff.

attachment.php

The ends may look solid here, but they are indeed tinted clear. I was kind of thinking I needed to back light to show this, but all in good time.

I also took a look at some stuff for the cosmetic finish of this project and they don't have the graphite that I wanted. They do have this really cool almost holographic stuff that comes in a variety of colours called ROWLUX - Illusion Film. A bit pricey at just under $70/LM and then the adhesive as it is not self adhesive. Will have to think about that one. It would certainly turn heads though.

So a question - what to use to glue in the end panels? Body is PVC and ends are acrylic.

UPDATE: Bought some 3M Carbon Fibre wrap today. It is supposed to have some form of ribbing on the back to help release air bubbles.

Still undecided on how to attach the lids. I might just go hinged as I can't really find anything that is going to allow me to make the lids slide around the case and to custom something up will increase the cost too much.

Got a quote from a sign mob to do the NIKE FOOTWEAR logo for around $30 in a nice bright yellow.

UPDATE: The tube is now a combination of PVC (main body), Perspex (ends) and Poly Carbonate (Lid rests). Because there is three different types of plastic used, I can't use a standard solvent. I have found a clear adhesive that I hope will work out. The unit is glued and I have to give it about 24 hours.

Image coming soon

Not quite 24 hours :rolleyes but the glue appears to have set. Enough to take this image which shows the poly carb in place :eek
attachment.php

I played around tonight with the idea of making the lids slide into the body, but found that I was going to lose too much internal space. Therefore the lids will be hinged.

OK lids and handles done.

attachment.php

attachment.php

I am not 100% happy because (and my own fault) I have used the cutouts to make the lids to save costs. They are undersized and don't sit as well as they should. So I guess I am going to have to buy another section of pipe and re-do the lids before I attach my expensive vinyl wrap as that cost as much as the whole cost of the plastic parts of this project so far.

Also, the polycarb used inside as supports for the lids has appeared to crazy cracked. I am not sure if it is just the amount of stress the plastic is under or the clear adhesive I used has attacked the plastic. Either way, it needs to be replaced. The best thing to do would be to have to rings cut when I buy more pipe and remove a small section to allow then to fit inside and use that solvent cement (normally blue, though clear is now available) to bond these in place.

Thanks :) I can't believe the weight of the thing. The shoes weight next to nothing, yet this tube bag must be close to 10 pounds now.

This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back