My BTTF Inspired Bag V2 Page 4

Re: My BTTF Inspired Bag

Time for another update. Today I bit the bullet and bought another section of pipe to redo the lids. When I went to purchase the pipe, I noticed that the flanged end was still on the end and asked if I could have that as well. So I got two lids, 2 x 35mm rings from the flange (to thicken the ends) and a 2nd set of 35mm rings to replace the polycarb that has cracked and looks rather nasty now. Being all PVC, I'll be able to bond the parts using the proper PVC solvent. Images coming soon.

attachment.php

The new lids are a much better fit.

The new thicker ends have been fitted. Tomorrow I'll knock out the polycarb lid rests and replace them with the two big PVC rings. They are the same OD as the main body and so I need to remove about 38mm to allow them to be compressed and fit snug inside. Because there is now 12mm of plastic on the ends, I will recess the two tinted perspex ends to 12mm as well (a further 6mm).

Because I bought the whole section of tube, I actually have the balance of the part from which the lids were cut and playing with this tonight, I may be able to use that other part as a false floor which should allow the lids to slide inside the body.

Lucky this is a prop because with all the extra plastic it is really heavy now and if I actually use this thing, I'll end looking like this guy
attachment.php
:unsure

attachment.php

OK pulled the old tube bag apart and rebuilt and I think this version looks much better. There is slight high spot on one end of the lids (nothing a quick sand won't fix) and I will need to find myself a dremil or similar to trim out some excess plastic. I am actually leaning to a small router and trim bit so the bearing can follow the profile of the plastic I wish to leave in place.

So the changes are new lids and thicker ends. I also removed the polycarb and replaced that with the PVC (after removing a small bit to allow compression) rings and with the help of the young son, put the thing back together. WOW a 2nd pair of hands makes such a difference on a project like this :$

The ends are now recessed a further 10mm (now 16mm) where before they are recessed just 6mm and I like the look much better.

The idea of the lids sliding into the body was a massive fail. I am sure I can do it, but not on this tube bag. Maybe the next one as I have several bits pieces left over from this modification that I could do something with.

So trim time tomorrow. After I am finally happy with the trimming, I will remove the rivets that hold the lids on, laminate with the Carbon Fibre adhesive and use stainless steel hardware (with lock nuts). I also came up with a small locking mechanism that should look quite neat as well.

UPDATE:

1. Replaced all the rivits with dome head stainless steel bolts
2. Sanded the case back flush and glued all parts with solvent.
3. Covered the tube in black Carbon Fibre wrap.
attachment.php

attachment.php

Now all I have to do is get the decals made.
attachment.php

Thanks guys :) The vinyl wrap was easier to apply than I would have thought, so yeah it came out the way I had hoped.

Next project - start work on the MAGs

Got a price back from a sign maker to make the decals. $66 in a gloss. Sounds a tad pricey, but hey if that is what it cost, so be it. I will also be getting some SWOOSHES made up for the shoes rather than attempting an exacto knife job. I really want to add some "bling" to the tube bag and shoes so for an extra $22, I was told I could have reflective tape!

The thumb nail at the bottom is my 1:1 art work for the Tube bag. I used a proper NIKE/SWOOSH logo I found on the net (after removing the Registered logos) and then imported that into Paint. I then used Verdana at font in bold at size 500 to type the word FOOTWEAR. I then compressed the word to 50% of the original height. This affected some of the letters which I then altered to make the graphic I have. It is not 100%, but will pass.

Oops, just took a look at my art work verses the one supplied by a member here and my NIKE logo is too large.

Hopefully this one (NIKE is now 85% of original) looks better.

(Again image attached as a thumb nail due to image size at 1:1)

:cool
And this brings this project to an almost end of life.
attachment.php

I've updated this image to show the shoes now painted grey. I am impressed with how much difference some stickers make. What I need to do is remove the lids again and black out the edges of the PVC and then add my locking mech and I am done with this one :cool

Total build price is $221.50 [over twice as much as I intended to spend].

Breakdown:
PVC and tinted ends plus labor $50
Carbon Fibre Wrap $50
Hardware [Stanless Steel bolts and handles] $17.50
Decals $88.00 [this also included some decals for the shoes].
Car Carpet [for the liner] $16.00

Last edited:

Because the bag is a "tube", it won't sit upright well on hard surfaces. It tends to want to roll and to capture this required some propping behind the bag.

attachment.php

So my solution was to add some feet. Whilst thinking about what and how to do this [and actively seeking part for another project], I discovered I had a heap of 80mm discs [made from 10mm black perspex] left over from some laser cutting I had done. So I drew them onto the tube bag I had created in Sketch Up for a better look.

attachment.php

At first I was not really sure about how to attach these. I ended up drilling and tapping the centre to M4 and the disc is essentially the nut to the small bolt [that will be replaced with a dome head soon] that passes from the inside. This will soon be covered by the liner.

attachment.php

So now the bag can sit upright anywhere :love

Attachments

• Build Image 22.JPG
    Build Image 22.JPG
    175.7 KB · Views: 1,742
Last edited:

As I get closer to getting my Vac Forming set up, I have had a long hard think about how I could have made this bag better. So I thought I would just put this out there. I don't have a specific time frame in mind. It is on my to do list though.

my-bttf-inspired-bag-3d-model-1.jpg-96317d1338296660

The Tube bag I made is nice, but it is heavy and the lids are hinged and don't slide around like they should. The ends don't have the taper and the handles are not recessed as they should be. It was my first attempt and I am still happy with the results.

So after some thought, I think Vac Forming the parts [ plus laser cutting the clear ends] is the best way to this.

The Parts
attachment.php

The Tube bag is made up of 1 body, 2 ends, 2 lids and 2 clear inserts. Based on what parts I have left over from the first project, I should have enough tube to made bucks for this project.

The End Cap
attachment.php

I plan on making the buck out of 2 layers of 25mm MFD. Because Vac Forming takes a mold of the outer skin, I needed to work out how and where the body and lids will sit as well as having a recess to attach the clear ends.
I have already planned feet to so the bag can stand upright on its own.
Recessed Handles
attachment.php

I am still working the bugs out of this part, but think I have it sorted. The plan is to pull the body from the inside of the pipe and pull the lids from the outside of the pipe. This gives me two different diameters and the lids should easily wrap around the body. I just have to tweak the end cap. I also need to work out what part of the final pull will be required to be cut out.

Anyway, this is just food for thought at this time.

This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back