My BTTF Inspired Bag V2 Page 4

8e673cb3e1951aa6bb240e933de5d4c9.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hopefully this diagram will better explain why I want to create a "female" tooled vacuum former over the traditional "male" or "buck" tooled vacuum former.
Lets say we need to make part A which has nasty undercuts. Sure you could vacuum form over the top. Without cutting the plastic, how do you remove the tool? You can't! The plastic would heat shrink wrap over the top and the best you would have is a plastic coated part.

If you needed to make a few and needed them hollow (which is why you would chose vacuum forming in the first place), you can't do this with traditional vacuum forming unless your tool, is very complex with many smaller break away parts.

The "female" tool for this part is shown as B in the diagram. It still has undercuts and you would normally be in the same place as the "male" tool. However, with a female" tooling, it is possible to make the tool break into sections that can slide out from under the job as shown in C.

Because all the parts are contained inside the chamber, the tool can be joined to be one part for the pull and broken down for the extraction of the vacuum formed part.

attachment.jpg

Whilst none of the FOOTWEAR tube bag parts have undercuts, armour pieces (Pred Bio, Stormtrooper helmets etc) do and this is one sure way of having my cake and eating it as well.

Vacuum Forming Example.jpg

attachment.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey cavx I was just wondering if this is gonna be a limited run or something that you make based on orders. Also do you have an estimated price range on what these will cost

Limited run at first. If there is on going interest, then a 2nd run will be made to happen.

Not 100% sure at this stage, but looking at $500 ball park figure including shipping. Shipping prices are stupid due to the size of the bag. May have to look at kit form to reduce shipping costs.

WOW. For reasons unknown, my PC decided the lose the Tube Bag file. Can't find it anywhere...

So I am having to redraw this. Not that it is such a bad thing because I was then able to go back to make changes like shortening the handles.

attachment.php

Attachments

• FOOTWEAR Tube Bag Lids Revision 1.jpg
    FOOTWEAR Tube Bag Lids Revision 1.jpg
    32.7 KB · Views: 320
I definitely will be the first in line to buy this. The price you offer it at is more than fair for all the work you are doing to make this happen! One of my favorite ideas was to carry my Nike mags in a movie screen accurate Nike bag! This is a dream come true so I thank you for making this a reality!

I definitely will be the first in line to buy this. The price you offer it at is more than fair for all the work you are doing to make this happen! One of my favorite ideas was to carry my Nike mags in a movie screen accurate Nike bag! This is a dream come true so I thank you for making this a reality!

Thank you. I appreciate comments like this after the hours and dollars I have poured into this project.

Here is the redrawn Tube Bag.

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Attachments

• FOOTWEAR Tube Bag Revision 1 Lids Closed.jpg
    FOOTWEAR Tube Bag Revision 1 Lids Closed.jpg
    48.2 KB · Views: 2,382
  • FOOTWEAR Tube Bag Revision 1 Lids Open.jpg
    FOOTWEAR Tube Bag Revision 1 Lids Open.jpg
    58.4 KB · Views: 2,365
  • FOOTWEAR Tube Bag Revision 1 Exploded View.jpg
    FOOTWEAR Tube Bag Revision 1 Exploded View.jpg
    94 KB · Views: 689
After going through all my parts to make this heater, I decided to just start again and design the unit to sit directly on top of the form. Given the heater will stay on during the pulls anyway, it make sense to have this self supporting.

attachment.php

The main box will be made from MDF, but I will line it with 0.6 Galvanised steel so that there is a shiny, reflective surface inside. The big hole in the middle will be for a fan to force the hot air down and also allow me to see what is happening inside. The front panel will also be hinged to flip up. I'll also find myself a perforated metal plate to go over the fan cutout.

The heating elements are halogen lights (500w each) x 4 (yes 2000 watts of power, so lucky I have a 2400 watt supply). In tests I have run, these will get hot enough to start a fire. I am hoping that magnets can attach the stand of each light to the metal liner so that I can quickly change the position of the heaters based on my requirements. Each light will also have it's own power switch so it can be shut off.

The four smaller holes will have a swing lid that can be used to vent excess heat.

Off to the board cutters now to place my order :)

Attachments

• Complete Vacuum Former.jpg
    Complete Vacuum Former.jpg
    59.4 KB · Views: 643
Once I get a fully functional bag done it will make the FS thread. I problems should get the EOI thread up.

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

I installed the lights today and gave them a check over. Once happy all were working properly, it was time for the first heat test :)
attachment.php

Ambient air temperature was about 32 degrees C when this was taken.
attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

You can see there is a piece of 5mm Polycarb behind the thermometer and that blistered because the heater was too hot.
Tomorrow will be another test with Perspex as it behaves differently from Polycarb. I will combine the vacuum system with the heater system.
One of two things will happen. Either something will break or I will make something awesome. Lets hope for the 2nd.

Attachments

• 20161116_123650.jpg
    20161116_123650.jpg
    98.4 KB · Views: 564
  • 20161116_125109.jpg
    20161116_125109.jpg
    127.5 KB · Views: 579
  • 20161116_123338.jpg
    20161116_123338.jpg
    98.2 KB · Views: 568
  • 20161116_122755.jpg
    20161116_122755.jpg
    112.4 KB · Views: 569
This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back