"Casket of the ancient winters" (Thor) We're back!!

belsilene

I was thinking of making a replica of this artifact, and I am surprised I did not find anyone who is doing it .
Any of you tried it?. It was just curiosity, since I have my own way of doing things, but I am very surprised to find no references to that object.
I am the only one who thinks it's a very beautiful object?

I guess it will take me a long time, because I want to have even inner light. We'll see what I get

detail.jpg

Last edited:
Re: next proyect: "Casket of the ancient winters" (Thor)

I have wanted to see someone tackle this, I have seen one individual do a 3d model of it. I would imagine it wouldn't be to difficult to do with Plexiglas.

i would love to see how this goes, and if you do a run of these i would absolutly be interested 100%.

I think it's gorgeous, if you can pull this off I would definitely be interested.

Also, in your build, please include a smaller refrigeration unit so that there is an even and uniform cold while touch it.

Just kidding . . . :)

I've wondered why no one has done this prop yet as well. It's pretty cool. Good luck!

Belsilene, there's some nice reference shots in the 'Art of THOR' - book which could be helpful, page 168.
Found the following pic via google search, unfortunately it's a bit on the small side.
tumblr_lnmnd6BjiH1qah8aao1_500.png

Thanks you all for your support.
It's going to be challenging due to the curvature of some pieces, and cutting and engraving the plexiglass is not cheap, but I will do my best.
Also, in your build, please include a smaller refrigeration unit so that there is an even and uniform cold while touch it.

It's not a bad idea.

Belsilene, there's some nice reference shots in the 'Art of THOR' - book which could be helpful, page 168.
Found the following pic via google search, unfortunately it's a bit on the small side.
tumblr_lnmnd6BjiH1qah8aao1_500.png

Thanks. With "reference" I meant someone who was making it,because I'm used to find here some threads for anything that appears in a movie.

I already knew those references in the book, but thanks for sharing.

Although its only the beginning and much work remains to be done, I show you some quick photos I made of my first steps.
Not exactly the colors, not exactly the shape, but the idea was to test the technique.
So far I'm pretty satisfied, although there are many small problems that I have to think how to solve.
It will be hard work. :)

dscf7968medium.jpg

dscf7969medium.jpg

dscf7973medium.jpg

dscf7981medium.jpg

dscf7982medium.jpg

dscf7983medium.jpg

Re: "Casket of the ancient winters" (First tests)

Looks great! I thought the first shot with lighting was a screen shot comparison for a second...

Re: "Casket of the ancient winters" (Thor) First tests

That's looking awesome so far! As a thought, to help diffuse the light a bit, try putting a layer of tissue paper on the inside and see how that effects the lighting.

Damn!!! That looks pretty spot on! I love that you are diving in with this.

Thanks to all.

As a thought, to help diffuse the light a bit, try putting a layer of tissue paper on the inside and see how that effects the lighting.

yes, as it was a test I have not bothered on the blur. One thing that I don't know how to solve by the moment is how to make the light "float" in the center once the box is done and what kind of light I'll put inside. But hey, it's still early to worry about that. Improvise at the time :confused

I did start a thread about this a while back, and subsequently bought the Art of Thor book, in which the above pictures can be seen.

http://www.therpf.com/f9/casket-ancient-winters-prop-139324/

I thought about making this prop myself but it seems like you're doing a great job of it yourself, so I'll carry on with my ever increasing pile of projects!

I look forward to seeing more progress on this.

Did you shape and engrave the plastic yourself or did you have it professionally done?
If you did it yourself I'd love to know what method you used?

I did it myself but...professionally :)
Since "prop-making" is not my profession, I am dedicated to making models of buildings and trains, so I have at my disposal professional techniques and equipments to develop what is my hobby.

In this case the plastic cutting and engraving has been done with a laser cutting and the bending was only with heat

This thread is more than 9 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back