Found!!! Obi ANH 'Gear'!!!

OK

So we just need to find the right SIZE cooling fin (just like there were/are variations on the OB1 emmiter)

Originally posted by Gigatron+Oct 18 2005, 05:01 PM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Gigatron @ Oct 18 2005, 05:01 PM)</div>
<!--QuoteBegin-DARKSIDE72
@Oct 18 2005, 09:44 PM
A Lanc huh... too cool. My Grandfather was a rear gunner in a Lanc. He took the last two shells out of her at the end of the war and had them mounted. I have them. 

Here is a 7.7mm shell next to  standard 9mm for size comparison. It's a big shell.
lanc77mm7jw.jpg

[snapback]1099197[/snapback]​

Maybe I don't understand ammo designation as well as I thought (ok, most likely not :)), but how in the world is 7.7mm larger than 9mm? Maybe you meant 12.7mm (approx. 50 cal)? That would be better. Isn't the mm measurement the diameter of the bullet (not including the case)? If so, that big ol' hunka lead is still larger than the 9mm you have next to it.

If I'm wrong about the measurement designation, please correct me as I'm always confused about the relationship between mm and caliber.

-Fred
[snapback]1099220[/snapback]​
[/b]

I honestly don't know the answer to that question. I do know that the Lancaster Hurricane, Mosquito, Spitfire, and many other British planes used the browning 7.7mm (0.303 in). The shell is stamped 1940 B 7.7

I've ever seen have a heatsink on the front.

FYI and so people get it right the part pictured on the gun is not called a heat sink or cooling fins it's a RECOIL BOOSTER... It's there to trap muzzle gas increasing the recoil so the gun can sustain a higher rate of automatic fire...

It's common on some of the larger machine guns of the era, like the MG42...

Originally posted by blewis17@Oct 19 2005, 12:20 AM
So we just need to find the right SIZE cooling fin (just like there were/are variations on the OB1 emmiter)
[snapback]1099241[/snapback]​

I guess there could be a couple of variations of this muffler/booster/hider just like we found out on the Han ANH flash hider, where some did differ only in length.

I made a comparison of the one found and the "chronicles pic" (not from the book but in the book). The "gears" are both scaled to the same height in pixels:
gear_comparison.jpg

Do you think the ring in front of the booster is part of the booster itself or part of the muzzle assembly or maybe something else?

-Fred

Just taking Darth Lars' comp a step further:
gear_comparison2.0.jpg

"Gear" spacing looks dead on if the actual part is the correct scale.
I think we're on the right track anyway.
Awesome job.

-Chris

Originally posted by DARKSIDE72+Oct 18 2005, 03:42 PM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(DARKSIDE72 @ Oct 18 2005, 03:42 PM)</div>
Originally posted by Gigatron@Oct 18 2005, 05:01 PM
<!--QuoteBegin-DARKSIDE72
@Oct 18 2005, 09:44 PM
A Lanc huh... too cool. My Grandfather was a rear gunner in a Lanc. He took the last two shells out of her at the end of the war and had them mounted. I have them. 

Here is a 7.7mm shell next to  standard 9mm for size comparison. It's a big shell.
lanc77mm7jw.jpg

[snapback]1099197[/snapback]​

Maybe I don't understand ammo designation as well as I thought (ok, most likely not :)), but how in the world is 7.7mm larger than 9mm? Maybe you meant 12.7mm (approx. 50 cal)? That would be better. Isn't the mm measurement the diameter of the bullet (not including the case)? If so, that big ol' hunka lead is still larger than the 9mm you have next to it.

If I'm wrong about the measurement designation, please correct me as I'm always confused about the relationship between mm and caliber.

-Fred

I honestly don't know the answer to that question. I do know that the Lancaster Hurricane, Mosquito, Spitfire, and many other British planes used the browning 7.7mm (0.303 in). The shell is stamped 1940 B 7.7
[snapback]1099259[/snapback]​
[/b]

The cartridge you have there looks to be a .50 cal. The .303 is a rimmed rifle cartidge that is much smaller than the one in the picture.

I can't imagine a day where there is no mystery to the Obi saber... I just can't. :cry

However, this is amazing, the pommel, emitter, and now the gear all in a fairly short period of time. Cheers.

Chris,

I think you have the gear backwards.

-G

Originally posted by jedipunk@Oct 19 2005, 12:23 AM
Just taking Darth Lars' comp a step further:
gear_comparison2.0.jpg

"Gear" spacing looks  dead on if the actual part is the correct scale.
I think we're on the right track anyway.
Awesome job.

-Chris
[snapback]1099321[/snapback]​

I did some simple scaling with a few different photos of the gear and came up with this:
The scaling was done fast, but I think the proportions are super close.

*image not available*

FB

Franz Bolo: Two of the three pictures you are using are the same as the ones I used. My scaling was not quick. The proportions really are off.

I could google a lot for the flash hider, but I really feel not to. I got my fair share the last time. :p

The flash hider 'gear' is proportionately too long, but if it were otherwise correct there is strong evidence for the prop 'gear' having been shortened. Why? I have no idea.

So IMO it's all about the diameter here.

Awesome. Last part I was looking for... someone please make a replica if we do indeed ID the correct part and size and caliber etc...

Excellent eyes guys.

Originally posted by Gigatron@Oct 18 2005, 10:01 PM

Maybe I don't understand ammo designation as well as I thought (ok, most likely not :)), but how in the world is 7.7mm larger than 9mm?  Maybe you meant 12.7mm (approx. 50 cal)?  That would be better.  Isn't the mm measurement the diameter of the bullet (not including the case)?  If so, that big ol' hunka lead is still larger than the 9mm you have next to it.

-Fred

Caliber is the diameter of the bullet (projectile part) - or more correctly, the inside diameter of the barrel used to fire it - which is measured in both decimal inches and millimeters.

The difference in measuring units depends on where the design originated from - U.S. uses inches, whereas the rest of the world uses millimeters.

From Wikipedia:
The word caliber (American English) or calibre (British English) designates the interior diameter of a tube or the exterior diameter of a wire or rod. It comes from the Italian calibro, itself from the Arabic quâlib, meaning mould.

Steve

I know the size if wrong, but wow... that really looks good. That has to be what we are looking for, but just a larger version of it... good lead if you ask me. B)

My God...
If we assume that the gear is the right size...look at the opposite ends of it...

The right side pictured looks to be just the right diameter for a Graflex Clamp...and the opposite end to the left, well, I'll just bet the inside dia of an AS handwheel would just fit...

This is too close...and yes, the wire or cotter pin is even in the right place...I can imagine just how it went together now...

20fs2art1fk.jpg

Edit* There is a US made 50 cal.Bowning though it doesn't look the same...also a Belgian 50 Cal. Browning.

I have a couple leads Im trying too.

This thread is more than 18 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back