Back to the Future Marty's Holographic Cap (BTTF)

Re: Where to buy accurate BTTF2 cap?

Now, regarding the color... our factory is willing to customize the coloring since we'll be doing a run of our own material. The only problem is, we need a physical sample to copy. We already have this cap that we can use the copy the coloring:

JC9QsSO.jpg

Do all currently-available caps use the same lenticular coloring? Some photos of the officially licensed cap look better, but they look like they could easily be photoshopped.

So, the big question is: Do we proceed with the above coloring, or use a different sample?

Now, regarding the color... our factory is willing to customize the coloring since we'll be doing a run of our own material. The only problem is, we need a physical sample to copy. We already have this cap that we can use the copy the coloring:

https://i.imgur.com/JC9QsSO.jpg

Do all currently-available caps use the same lenticular coloring? Some photos of the officially licensed cap look better, but they look like they could easily be photoshopped.

So, the big question is: Do we proceed with the above coloring, or use a different sample?

Right now the only options we have are to either use the DTS cap, Halloween Costumes cap, or some rainbow lenticular fabric on its own which is very similar to the DTS cap. The biggest thing to get down is the size of the color shifts. The movie prop had each color take up a lot more space than the DTS or HC hats. They allow a lot of different colors in a smaller area. Not sure where to get anything spot on to this. But if it is absolutely unobtainable then whatever looks the best and is better to work with will be fine.

This is the HC cap.
marty-mcfly-kids-hat.jpg

Isn't a miraj cap the same make as the screen used? Surely one of these would be better?

No. It has inaccurate colors (red/blue/yellow as opposed to cyan/magenta/yellow) and an inaccurate shape (modern fitted as opposed to squarish). The only reason folks went wild for it was that it had a fitted back, but other than that it was very inaccurate.

- - - Updated - - -

https://i.imgur.com/JC9QsSO.jpg

It's tough to judge the accuracy of the lenticular colors by computer. I do think the transitions from cyan to yellow should have larger regions of green visible as with the cap Mitas posted from HC.

I'm going to see if I can get a custom lenticular made up to use as a sample, but I doubt this will work out. Bar that, I'll see if I can get a HC cap to use as a base for the coloring.

Ok guys... I'm looking into doing a custom lenticular. It won't be cheap, but I think if we can nail the colors (and color spread) accurately, it'll set this apart from the other caps.

Now, to match the colors of the original cap, we've got to find a Pantone equivalent for each shade. Since going bright and bold is probably the best, we could just go with Pantone's main process colors. For example:

MPC00381029-2H.jpg
Pantone Yellow C
MPC00381027-2H.jpg
Pantone Hexachrome Green
MPC00379891-2H.jpg
Pantone Process Cyan C
MPC00381034-2H.jpg
Pantone Purple C

MPC00379304-2H.jpg
Pantone 252C might be a better choice than Purple C.

I'm not sure that green is actually a color of the lenticular, or just a blending of the yellow and cyan. Similarly, there is a violet color that appears in some shots between the Cyan and the Purple. In some shots only the Yellow, Cyan and Purple are visible.

What do you think?

Last edited:

Further to the above... here is an example of the original caps with almost NO green OR violet visible, supporting the theory that these "extra" two colors are just a result of blending:

u98zHc6.jpg

And yet, in this shot, almost the entire square of one front panel is violet (makes it look like it's another color, not just blending of the purple and cyan):

tac0Qn4.jpg

Am I overthinking all this?

Further to the above... here is an example of the original caps with almost NO green OR violet visible, supporting the theory that these "extra" two colors are just a result of blending:

https://i.imgur.com/u98zHc6.jpg

And yet, in this shot, almost the entire square of one front panel is violet (makes it look like it's another color, not just blending of the purple and cyan):

https://i.imgur.com/tac0Qn4.jpg

Am I overthinking all this?

My thoughts are maybe the stage lighting affected what colors we saw. Assuming that the stunt double picture is is mostly natural light because its behind the scenes and the newspaper picture is in an alley that needed to be lit.

That being the case, it may be best to just go with the HC cap since it seems to have the correct base colors anyway. Agreed? It'd be a lot simpler (and cheaper) option anyway.

That being the case, it may be best to just go with the HC cap since it seems to have the correct base colors anyway. Agreed? It'd be a lot simpler (and cheaper) option anyway.

The HC hat does seem to have the correct colors, but the dispersion of those colors is too concentrated just like the Diamond Select one.

The stuff sold by this factory looks spot-on to the screen-used lenticular: https://m.alibaba.com/product/60341267021/thermal-pattern-tpu-film-rainbow-iridescent.html?spm=a2706.8162019/a.0.0.53b048daPVAwlh

Of course, it could be the exact same as the HC material, but I think it's worth checking out.

One of the biggest differences between a screen used hat and the Diamond select, besides the redesign, is the "scale" of the color blending.
I'd vote for a custom-made material.

Here is the fabric sample from that company:

QnjWI6i.jpg

rSyTZYT.jpg

efbBsry.jpg

Looks quite similar to everything we've seen so far.

I don't see a difference. Is it even possible to make this material with better color spacing Indy Magnoli?

Last edited by a moderator:
This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back