Back to the Future Marty's Holographic Cap (BTTF)

Re: Where to buy accurate BTTF2 cap?

The correct colors are cyan, pink, and yellow. The Lantor film I ordered was too thick for my hat maker to use. The hats are sewn inside-out, then flipped. He showed me that it wasn't possible to do this with Lantors material.

The real stuff from 1989 was made by Sommers Plastics--same maker of the original Hoverboard lenticular. I ordered a sample, as they recently began reselling it, but the colors looked way too washed out/faint to my eye.

The DST cap that has been sold for years has an almost exact color match, though someone mentioned the colors may have changed recently. Both the Nike hats and the Miraj hats were made with an incorrect fitted shape and in red/blue/green instead of cyan/pink/yellow.
I think if we really press on that company you mentioned we could get the exact right material to make accurate hats.

The correct colors are cyan, pink, and yellow. The Lantor film I ordered was too thick for my hat maker to use. The hats are sewn inside-out, then flipped. He showed me that it wasn't possible to do this with Lantors material.

The real stuff from 1989 was made by Sommers Plastics--same maker of the original Hoverboard lenticular. I ordered a sample, as they recently began reselling it, but the colors looked way too washed out/faint to my eye.

The DST cap that has been sold for years has an almost exact color match, though someone mentioned the colors may have changed recently. Both the Nike hats and the Miraj hats were made with an incorrect fitted shape and in red/blue/green instead of cyan/pink/yellow.

The DS caps that were sold around OCT 15 were colored like the Nike caps. As stated, I suspect they ran out of the correct color and made do with what they could get.

It is likely they are back to the correct color since demand is gone.

I wasn't sure. I have a couple DS hats and neither of them really look that shape.

So do we assume they made the DS hats from that Sommers fabric? In which case, the Sommers stuff is also too thick for a good hat?

I think the only option we have to get a workable material that has the right colors is going completely custom. Just not sure if we can find a company that can do it.

wait a minute, DS now makes the caps without a button on top!?

I don't think the DS hat ever had a button at the top. Just the miraj and universal caps.

OHHH!!! sorry guys i was confused, i thought the DS had the button and the miraj didnt! sorry about that

Well to make it more confusing, the first batch of Miraj had the button, but they made a smaller second batch w/o buttons (those are the rarest, and most sought after IMO).

Well to make it more confusing, the first batch of Miraj had the button, but they made a smaller second batch w/o buttons (those are the rarest, and most sought after IMO).

I've got the older one with button. Is it possible to remove this button and what would happen? I've never tried it.

I've got the older one with button. Is it possible to remove this button and what would happen? I've never tried it.

That makes me nervous! I'm gonna keep mine on since it still has the tags. Let me know how it goes :lol

Roland, do it at your own risk. But some fans have actually done it in the past and have gotten away with no damage. I don't have any procedure details, but I remember one of the fans gave breakdown of instructions on how to do it on the BTTF forum and shared pics.

I'm actually afraid of destroying the cap. And I don't want to have a big ugly hole in the cap. Before I try anything, I would like to see pictures of the cap from someone who already did it. :)

I had 3 Miraj caps at one time sold 1 and kept 2. The one I sold originally had a button but I removed it (still have the button somewhere) but it didn't make a hole!

For anyone interested....
I ordered a sheet of the Lantor lenticular earlier this week, not knowing about the existence of the Sommers Lenticular sheet. So here is how the DS hat lenticular compares to the Lantor lenticular. Just really quick for people who don't know, lenticulars are two-piece sheets. The "lens" which is the plastic with the ribbed/corrugated lines in it, and the backing sheet which contains the image/color.

The Colors are identical, there is no difference. Both are yellow, pink, turquoise and combine to form purple and green tones. As discussed above. They both match the movie hat color and mixing.

The material itself however. There is a big difference in thickness. Both are a lenticular lens backed with a color sheet. The lenticular lens (the corrugated plastic) is about 1/2 of a millimeter thick on both materials. The big difference is the thickness of the color-backing sheet.

The DS hat lenticular is backed by a very thin color-backing sheet. I would say it is probably as thin as something like a plastic grocery bag maybe. And allows more precise and thinner folds.

The Lantor color-backing sheet is nearly the same thickness as the lenticular lens. about 1/3 millimeter or so.

So the DS hat material is thin enough to work with, it's basically just the thickness of the lenticular lens. While the lantor is very thick, about 3/4 to nearly 1 full millimeter in thickness for the lens+pvc sheet.

Overall though, the Lantor material is not bad. It's very well made, just thick. It would be good for other projects.

At this point, I will probably contact Sommers and ask about their color-backing sheet thickness. If it's thinner, then we likely have a workable material.

At this point, I will probably contact Sommers and ask about their color-backing sheet thickness. If it's thinner, then we likely have a workable material.

As I mentioned earlier, the material I received from Sommers was terribly washed-out looking, about 1/3 the color saturation of the Lantor material. Maybe it was from a bad lot, and the stuff you order will be better.

This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back