Back to the Future Marty's Holographic Cap (BTTF)

Re: Where to buy accurate BTTF2 cap?

I picked up a Miraj hat from a seller on Instagram for $20. Although it has the button on top and velcro strap on the back, it still has the tag on, so I thought that was cool.

IMG_0464.JPGIMG_0465.JPGIMG_0466.JPG

Did anyone ever source the correct bubblegum, cotton candy colored lenticular?

The one on the far right seems to have the closest colors.
1_1197636590.jpg

Last edited:

Did anyone ever source the correct bubblegum, cotton candy colored lenticular?

http://rs136.pbsrc.com/albums/q168/Domi73/1_1197636590.jpg?w=480&h=480&fit=clip

I ordered a few sheets from Lantor, LTD when I had a hat made for my dog's costume last year. I think I remember reading that Lantor was the same company who made the lenticular for the film. My seamstress said it was very difficult to work with because it was so thick.

Here's the product page: http://www.lantorlimited.com/3D-Lenticular-sheets-Multicolor-Yellow-Orange-p/sh-r001.htm

And the final product:

Lenticular hat: so happy with how it turned out!
View attachment 508073

has miraj gone back into producing these caps? but now adding the button on top?

If only there was a lot of interest for these to get replicated. The miraj cap looks to have the right shape, but different colors. If someone got the right color material with miraj patterns, it could be possible for a hat maker to make them. I have a miraj cap, but I don't have the know how to make a pattern from it and make a new hat on my own.

For costume purposes the Diamond Select is just fine. That is if you can find the right color. Approaching OCT last year, they started releasing some hats with an off-color lenticular that was more gold than yellow and it had a lot more dark tones and purples. Hopefully they are back to the original color.

I'd like to have a more accurate hat if it didn't break the bank.

For costume purposes the Diamond Select is just fine. That is if you can find the right color. Approaching OCT last year, they started releasing some hats with an off-color lenticular that was more gold than yellow and it had a lot more dark tones and purples. Hopefully they are back to the original color.

I feel like this is a job for markpoon :D

Last edited by a moderator:

If only there was a lot of interest for these to get replicated. The miraj cap looks to have the right shape, but different colors. If someone got the right color material with miraj patterns, it could be possible for a hat maker to make them. I have a miraj cap, but I don't have the know how to make a pattern from it and make a new hat on my own.

Try masking tape to replicate the existing panel, just lay it over the top then put the tape on tissue paper or somthing similar

The miraj one may not be screen accurate but I really like the colors, "blue-gold metallic"-kind of.

the DS one isn't all that great. Colors are way off, and overall not really accurate for that matter. Also it's a tiny tad small.

I ordered a few sheets from Lantor, LTD when I had a hat made for my dog's costume last year. I think I remember reading that Lantor was the same company who made the lenticular for the film. My seamstress said it was very difficult to work with because it was so thick.

Here's the product page: http://www.lantorlimited.com/3D-Lenticular-sheets-Multicolor-Yellow-Orange-p/sh-r001.htm

And the final product:

They have a video showcasing the different looks they have:
http://www.lantorlimited.com/Lantor-Ltd-3D-Lenticular-Pattern-Sheet-s/144.htm

Great link, thanks :D

Could experiment with paper and masking tape.

1_1197636590.png

Indeed. If I am not mistaken the one on the far right was made by Universal during the early 90s and was available at the theme parks. With the exception of the top button and thick colored brim borders, it's more closer to the screen used one. I think the third cap with the black border was also Universal.

And the final product:
Nice work. Those fabric sheet colors are perfect.

Miraj closed down years ago, so it has be someone else who takes up this project.

Does anyone know which company made the limited run of the BTTF 2 cap for the Nike Mag event in 2011? Was it Nike or some other manufacturer?

Maybe somebody can post photos of that cap. I remember it looked better than the DST cap, despite not having the exact colors down.

Last edited:

@The Terminator
I did see some DS hats that had a darker lenticular that was not correct. I suspect due to "Future Day" demand and DS sourcing whatever color they could get. Perhaps you saw one of those hats?

@Vivek
I do not think the 4th hat is a match. I don't even think it is close.

The movie hat is a yellow, pink, turquoise based lenticular. They combine via the lenticular action to form green and purple.

This is a great shot of the base colors. You can clearly see yellow, pink, turquoise.
aabnpqkvcc87g4fi5rib.jpg

Then here are secondary colors from the lenticular action.

Purple
d5aa47d0-5595-0133-9e1f-0af7184f89fb.jpg

Green (best shot I could find.)
fuafwdrt2gkr2eysuwom.jpg

Hat 4 just isn't mixing right. There is absolutely no secondary colors. No purple, no green. And its colors are pale too. Almost pastel. The pink is especially different. Strong pink on Marty's hat, almost a salmon color on hat 4.

From that angle and lighting, hat 1 looks like the only one doing everything Marty's hat does. I suspect hat 3 is the same lenticular and just isn't presenting the same.

great photos! too bad there isn't a run of more accurate hats, it would be a must have for a lot of collectors. i still have yet to pick up a DS hat.. i will one day soon just because its a officially licensed piece

Good points MrSouthpaw. I do remember seeing older pics of the Universal hat that showed the purple shade, but not sure of green. As you mentioned the hat may not really have a strong blend of turquoise to begin with.

Also the cap is over 20 years, so its current colors may not represent its original colors including that shade of pink.

The Miraj cap looks darker in pics, but looks very different in person under different lighting conditions. This is going to be the case with all these caps, hence a proper assessment needs to be made after viewing them from various angles.

https://glofx.com/product/glofx-holographic-hat/
Here is another company GloFX making holographic hats. The color mix seems close, though it is more yellow which again could be the lighting. Of course the brim needs to be curved, without their logo and without adjusting strap.

sb-g_1_4-700x700.jpg

Untitled-12-700x700.jpg

Untitled-21-700x700.jpg

Untitled-31-700x700.jpg

glofx-holographic-hats.jpg

Last edited:

Too much yellow. The yellow should have more of a green shade. But again, it all depends on the damn lighting :lol

@The Terminator
I did see some DS hats that had a darker lenticular that was not correct. I suspect due to "Future Day" demand and DS sourcing whatever color they could get. Perhaps you saw one of those hats?

Not exactly, I bought a DS. It's the one seen in my avatar ;)

@halliwax
The DS is not bad. The main inaccuracies are that it's not fitted. It doesn't have lenticular under the brim, only on top. And the shape is a bit different.

@Vivek
The green is subtle. I could only find that one picture with a strong green reaction. It blends in between the yellow and turquoise blue very well.

GloFX hat looks like a Diamond Select + Black letters. I think it's under too-much light.

Nike lenticular is hard to read. Did they replace pink with red? I like that they did the lenticular under the brim. Wish DS would do that.

@The Terminator

That looks like the correct lenticular to me. I can't speak to DS build accuracy, but I do think they have the right colors.

The one I saw during high-demand last year was darker than that. More gold and purple tones. And just darker overall.

The screen used hat seems to have a trucker hat shape and not a traditional ball cap shape. I think an accurate pattern could be made using off the shelf hats.

The correct colors are cyan, pink, and yellow. The Lantor film I ordered was too thick for my hat maker to use. The hats are sewn inside-out, then flipped. He showed me that it wasn't possible to do this with Lantors material.

The real stuff from 1989 was made by Sommers Plastics--same maker of the original Hoverboard lenticular. I ordered a sample, as they recently began reselling it, but the colors looked way too washed out/faint to my eye.

The DST cap that has been sold for years has an almost exact color match, though someone mentioned the colors may have changed recently. Both the Nike hats and the Miraj hats were made with an incorrect fitted shape and in red/blue/green instead of cyan/pink/yellow.

This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back