Snatcher - Metal Gear MkII Robot Build

OMG, how the hell did I miss this?!

I feel the EXACT same way. Though I'm not a big Snatcher fan, I AM a fan of Metal Gear and interesting builds. When a WIP thread is good, it almost feels like a radio serial from the 40's...you can't wait until the next installment.

Keep up the great work, Nick!

-Jonaas

You, sir, are writing the book on obsessive sanding! With amazing results, this stuff looks like its made by..... A MACHINE! :)

I am really wondering how this is gonna turn out.

That's what I was going for!

I usually a pretty sloppy builder and am happy to settle for whatever gets the job done but for this project I really wanted to push my finishing capabilities to a higher level. This is also tough when you are simultaneously learning new materials and building methods.

This is also why the project is taking forever to come together. It's all a big learning process.

Definitely need to put some hours in on this project again.

Nick

lol I actually borrowed all those references for when I build a Mk II from snatcher and maybe a model of the first metal gear. i'm up to my eyeballs in a list of Metal gear props i want to make so it might have to wait though.

Man, this is looking really really good!! Also, such an obscure reference for a prop, which is really refreshing to see when it seems everyone is doing very similar things (iron man anyone?)
Waiting or more updates, keep it up!!

Don't worry, the project's not dead.

I've got some materials coming in to start work on the next stages and am finally about to complete some other projects that've been eating up some time. I've also got a friend who knows a bit about animatronics that I'm going to consult with to get the head to move as he talks. Should be cool.

Nick

Yeah, I was looking at those just last week and thought about the possibility of sticking one in. Cheap and small is the name of the game here!

My only worry would be if Linux would support all the different functions I'd like to implement. There are tons of programs and online help available for windows OS concerning Sega CD emulation, animatronic functions, wireless keyboard and gamepad. etc... I'm not a programmer or Linux nut so I may be greatly underestimating what's out there.

I would definitely need a lot of help if I went the linux root. Totally clueless in that arena.

It is a cool peice of machinery though-
8124497044_9945ce422c_o.png

Nick

Last edited:
Eegads. Wonderful finish. Your mock-ups look better than my final models! Not kidding -- I love the little model. It has a lot of character.

Snatcher just hit it's 25th Anniversary last weekend!

1173254258-00.jpg

I've been doing animatronic and micro PC research lately but have nothing to show visually.

The build continues...

Last edited:
Is this project still alive? Let me know if you need some help with the animatronics. I just learned a thing or two on the grey fox build :)

Yeah, still alive. Just going in slow motion.

I'll definitely need animatronic help when I get to that point. Thanks!

Once I put the Cthulhu project to bed it'll be robot time full-time!

Nick

Been learning how to rotocast with varying degrees of success.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1369536938.922054.jpg

Several thin layers is the secret apparently. A larger amount of resin ends up getting too hot and the resin "kicks" too suddenly. It needs to solidify slowly as it slushed around the inside of the mold.

I think I've just about got it all figured out. I'll now have a thick walled casting of the head to do the final bits of shaping on.

Yay, this thread is back from the dead!

I could have told you the secret to rotorcasting, you should have asked "hey, what is the secret to rotorcasting?"

This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back