Snatcher - Metal Gear MkII Robot Build

Nick,
Try some of this stuff for your pink insulation. It makes the stuff bullet proof. It also has a tooth so bondo stick to it AND it seals it so you can use a solvent based paint or poly on it.
And it's cheap and goes a long way and is water based.

Hot Wire Foam Factory

Used it on some pink foam feet and it's held up as good as fiberglass.
Laffo.

Holy cow. I might just have to get a bucket.

Nick,
Try some of this stuff for your pink insulation. It makes the stuff bullet proof. It also has a tooth so bondo stick to it AND it seals it so you can use a solvent based paint or poly on it.
And it's cheap and goes a long way and is water based.

Hot Wire Foam Factory

Used it on some pink foam feet and it's held up as good as fiberglass.
Laffo.

Interesting stuff. Could it act as a replacement for body filler? It says in it's description that it's sandable.

Bondo and it's ilk is stinky enough that I'd love to find a water-based alternative.

Nick

Coated the head and two body pieces in a gloppy layer of Evercoat Metal Glaze. This stuff was recommended in SteveNeil's awesome enterprise build as a vastly superior product to regular Bondo. Bondo gets incredibly hard compared to other body fillers and the hardness isn't important in our modeling needs.

453ebbfe.jpg

030d21ee.jpg

Started sanding the bottom body piece with my Ryobi Mouse sander with an 80 grit pad. It grinds down the material at a nicely controlable rate that I like so far. Looks like I'll have to route out the center groove with a dremel and a pipe with sandpaper wrapped around.

2cb2c696.jpg

de9194a4.jpg

Nick

nice!

i'll see if i can import some of that stuff, looks really usefull.

Been meaning to make a replica of the pistol myself, added it to the 'to do' list for this year

:lol This just keeps getting better! I was asked not too long ago by a friend whether Gibson's head was a possibility in the future.

First round of sanding the body filler went pretty smooth last night.

332373eb.jpg

884df3f7.jpg

04c07103.jpg

There's a few low spots that I still need to build up a bit more in several areas but I'm happy with the first round of filler shaping.

Nick

More sanding and the first layer of filler primer.

d476cd41.jpg

f3b996e0.jpg

b32342cc.jpg

ed143c75.jpg

Still trying to figure out the how to approach the forms in certain undefined areas. Since this guy only lived as low res 2D graphics, it's gonna be tricky to make those spots look good. Weird shapes abound.

There are a few thin spots in the skin from all the sanding but I don't think that'll make much a difference once more filler, and primer keep get added on and sanded down.

We'll see.

Nick

Put in a couple more hours of sanding, primer, more body filler to raise up a couple low spots. I even started applying some red glazing putty to some of the bigger pinholes and gashes.

IMG_7126.jpg

IMG_7125.jpg

IMG_7124.jpg

I hope these micro updates aren't annoying. I always want to see more steps in every build up so I thought I'd make that happen here and avoid the giant leaps in levels of finish you see in some build logs. Baby steps.

It's getting there.

Nick

Last edited:
Sorry Nick,
No, it won't work as filler because it's watery, but great as a tooth coat and great for hardening and protecting the foam. Gives a great base to start putting on whatever filler you decide to use. You can throw the piece across the room after you coat it.
Laffo.

Been juggling a few projects so progress has been slow.

As I've been shaping this bot down the form is really taking shape. I followed a bit of Volpin methodology that he used on one of his Daft Punk helmets and made a strip of sandpaper backed with duct tape and used that to smooth out all the high spots. The strap rides along the curved surface wonderfully and tears down those high spots perfectly. Highly recommended technique.

b4eccfac.jpg

The alternating layers of primer really start to describe the topology of the form's surface as you are sanding it down.

The only issue now is that the skin is getting really thin and even is cutting through in a couple spots.

Here are a couple areas of foam that I think melted when I put on a layer of primer.
813310c9.jpg

f0599434.jpg

I still need to do a bit more sanding in a couple areas and also need to carve in panel lines which would probably go into the foam layer. What to do?

I was afraid this might happen. Should've globbed on the body filler a little thicker initially. Oh well, live and learn.

Here's where I'm at right now-
ebadebff.jpg

dd4fa21a.jpg

a41aa335.jpg

It's really, really close though.

Nick

Nice progress, it's starting to look really smooth. I don't know how deep you plan on going with the lines, but that problem might be solved by laying down tape strips for the lines and then spraying a lot of high build primer. When you remove the tape you have a nice line, and haven't gouged the prop.

I thought about doing that. It might be the solution I'm looking for.

Once I realized that I was getting super close to the foam I actually laid down about 5 good coats of high build primer to help build back a bit of a barrier.

Hope the tape method gives me a good look. Might even be easier to get the curves I need to achieve.

Nick

Last edited:
This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back