What's your most expensive prop purchase regret?

A kit of Rey's blaster from The Force Awakens. A ton of inaccuracies since this was only a little while after the film ha been released, barrel was heat warped, half the holes in it were totally out of alignment. It was a fair bit more expensive than a lot of current options as well, still have all the parts sat in a box gathering dust.

Anything I bought outside of films that I really, really love was a waste of money. Even if I was able to sell them at a profit. That said, definitely the Master Replicas line of PotC props, which I purchased all of an then sold later on for less. Of course, they're now all doubled in value.

My full body Predator costume. I wore it once and haven't touched it since. Too uncomfortable and believe it or not, it's crazy complicated to put on.

Once bought a Doctor Who Ood mask, before I started sculpting my own stuff and discovering that it was easier than I thought.
It was a real pile of crap - tendrils too small and sculpted and cast as part of the head like a cheap chinese fancy dress mask, a neck too short to stay under the costume jacket collar and the worst paint job you've ever seen.
Hugely disappointed as I'd brokered a deal with the person, who is a unbelievably fantastic sculptor when he's doing stuff for himself, to supply 8 of the masks to a cosplay group I was involved in at the time.
All the masks, at £85 each were just as awful and I soooo regret the whole episode.

A kit of Rey's blaster from The Force Awakens. A ton of inaccuracies since this was only a little while after the film ha been released, barrel was heat warped, half the holes in it were totally out of alignment. It was a fair bit more expensive than a lot of current options as well, still have all the parts sat in a box gathering dust.

Yeah there were some bad models of that thing floating around. And no-one seems to know the actual scale of the thing. I bought one that doesn't look too bad but I can't even get my index finger in the trigger guard.

My worst, I compulsively plopped down $250 on a 3D printed Rey's blaster from Star Wars a few days after seeing the movie.

A few weeks later I saw them on eBay for $50, then later for $25.

Mine is painted up and weathered really nice though, so I can still justify it.

The most expensive props I bought in the past 15 years was a $1200 Tomenosuki Blade Runner Blaster, a $1,000 Richard Colye Blade Runner special edition 1 of 50, (BTW, the Coyle kicks ass way over the Tomenosuki!), a $1,000 Marto Conan Sword, several Master replicas, an AJ Standish E-11 Blaster made from a real Sterling, pre WWII Hengstler counter and a Real WWII M38 scope. I also have some really nice Dstines, Jlong, Brent Jones, Matt White, Cory White, JTK, Matsuo and Roddenberry pieces and other unique one of a kind replicas that I consider priceless!

As it turns out now a days, the majority of my collection is priceless.

I still think the best is yet to come.

You know if your in this hobby as long as I have been, most good things only come around once.

If your not in the right place at the right time, or if you don't have the money, you miss out forever.

I can tell you that almost every good prop replica purchase I have made in 15 years has either held it's value or increased substantially.

I'd much rather have a Dstines alpha communicator than a Terry Reddlin or Thomas Kinkade on the wall any day!

You lose some but you mostly win in this hobby, don't be afraid to spent some cash if you have it or you may be kicking yourself in the ass forever after if you miss out on something big.

Last edited:
I haven't (yet) bought anything really expensive I've regretted. But I tend to be quite easy when it comes to items that aren't that expensive: "Hey... It's only € 20,-. You can't go with a price like that.." (Turns out, you can! Over and over again ;-)

If I were to recoup the huge amount of money on not so pricey, yet not so good (or totally crap) items, I'd have a lot more to waste on expensive items.

Latest point in case: The Tagaki Blade Runner waterpistol. Didn't feel that expensive... But it took a water-fight of exactly 5 minutes with my daughters to break of the trigger.

My biggest mistake was when I first started getting into this hobby and didn't know any better falling for the EDC props trap, and losing money on a PKD that was A: a doppleganger recast, and B: never delivered. Wish I would have done a bit more homework on that one.

Paying $160 dollars for a adventure time watch. It was a prop for deadpool and they now go for $20-40 bucks.

Also trying to get a accure shirt for the original Guardians of the Galaxy. I bought blue shirts, grey ones then had a custom be done for $120 that was inaccurate. Tried to re-dye it gray but the collar ended up still blue. I threw it in the trash.

Lastly putting down deposit for an Guardians of the Galaxy Areo Rig. I needed it for Halloween but there were no deadlines to when it was going to be finished. I bailed on it lost $200. . Only for the Rig to come out before Halloween. Grrr.

For me when I first discovered prop store/screen bid auctions, I would bid on things not really caring how much they were, and ended up with some stuff thats not really what I wanted, like some minor prop from passengers that I couldnt identify on screen lol

Thankfully I'm fresh off the boat to this hobby, and lurk far more than i post (changes on that sail soon) but I've only made three purchases in the replica territory, the first two were Judge's Imperial Capacitor kit form TFA, still need to finish that, and then was... (name escaping me)'s B-grade Death Star Data card. to be clear, top notch quality, but the specific card I bough t was damaged in shipping to him and whatnot. I enjoy it better because it's already scuffed; I have no qualms about bringing it out to show people. the only "regretful" purchase I've made was a J5 head STL batch that's well done, but I've robbed myself of doing it to a certain extent. Plus any modifications I want to make internally are that much more of a pain. oh well... live and learn.

also SDS trooper lid, before the lawsuit, when we thought it was cool, oh well, its a helmet now on the replica timeline shelf, along w meatsock, te derivations,,,,

So I just found something while cleaning the garage. It was the very first resin prop piece I ever bought. It's still in the original shipper box as well! It came to me from California and was shipped to me September 21st 2000! It even has a receipt in the box. It was a resin Han Solo droid caller. I now know why I never built it up. It looks as if it was cast badly by a ten year old casting his first project. I spent 75.00 plus shipping on this thing. The guy I bought it from is still on this forum and rarely comes around. I remember asking for a refund if I sent it back. He never responded even after multiple attempts. The guy used to be someone with a little notiarity, but today only the very old timers would remember him. I sucked it up and never called him out. I suppose it was partially my fault as I never asked for a picture first :lol

But if you ever come across a wannabe Han Solo from Californina and his "seamstress" wife, stay away from his "exports"! There are a few unhappy people who were/are unhappy with his services.

Just found this thread and to be really honest I probably have too many cases of buyer's regret to list but 2 that come to mind are a Baal sword scabbard from Stargate Continuum that I ordered from a guy in Colorado that had made a quite nice functional Stargate Atlantis lifesigns detector replica he sold on eBay. His studio was called Intergalactic something or other and he was also making scabbards for LOTR swords at the time. I had won a screen used Baal sword from the movie in a Propworx auction and wanted the scabbard so I commissioned this guy to make it for $300. Well over the next 3 years we corresponded during which time he moved, had his studio flooded twice etc etc etc. In the end I told him to forget about it but I never saw that $300 again.

More recently the HCG M56 Smart Gun. There is a separate thread about this but it was sold as being made of resin, fiberglass and metal but there is precious little of the last 2 in it so it is basically a solid resin cast with no moving parts for $1200 plus shipping. It looks quite accurate but $1200 for 4ft of resin!!!! Fortunately it arrived broken in 3 pieces so I hope to get my money back, but I was hoping it would be so much more than it actually was. I will probably try the airsoft conversion route for my next one and build it myself as long as the refund comes through.

I’ve bought a fair amount of things that didn’t turn out to be quite what I expected, mostly it’s in the neighborhood of $50 bucks or less. However on the higher end of resin kits I did buy a Poe Dameron helmet kit a little while back that had so many issues with the casting that I was taken aback.
I’ve worked on it periodically over time, and it still might turn out okay, but more than once it has almost hit the dumpster, and there is no guarantee it still won’t if I get frustrated enough. I’m still balancing the sunk cost mentally.

Being expensive for what I got for my money, I once bought a quantum leap handlink for the buy it now price of $35. The description just said quantum leap handlink replica. It was newly listed and the pictures looked perfect. Fearing that I would loose out on the deal of the century I bought it no questions asked . When the package came it felt empty and when I opened it.... it was photo scans of a handlink glue to a piece of packing foam.

My worst is a Destiny 2 "Sunshot" Hand cannon replica. Absolutely love the gun in game, and I ordered it right after the game came out. The pictures on the model were beautiful. What I got was a poorly painted, warped pile of resin. I keep telling myself that I'll go back and repaint it, but it keeps sitting in a box....

Other than that, I've done ok. Impulse bought a blank graflex top (for DV6 builds, I later found out) thinking I would build one completely from scratch, but I went vintage instead and am much happier. Paid too much for an inaccurate Han Solo holster to hold my airsoft replica (which I never use on field, and again paid too much for).

So I just found something while cleaning the garage. It was the very first resin prop piece I ever bought. It's still in the original shipper box as well! It came to me from California and was shipped to me September 21st 2000! It even has a receipt in the box. It was a resin Han Solo droid caller. I now know why I never built it up. It looks as if it was cast badly by a ten year old casting his first project. I spent 75.00 plus shipping on this thing. The guy I bought it from is still on this forum and rarely comes around. I remember asking for a refund if I sent it back. He never responded even after multiple attempts. The guy used to be someone with a little notiarity, but today only the very old timers would remember him. I sucked it up and never called him out. I suppose it was partially my fault as I never asked for a picture first :lol

But if you ever come across a wannabe Han Solo from Californina and his "seamstress" wife, stay away from his "exports"! There are a few unhappy people who were/are unhappy with his services.

it’s at times like this when you have to ask yourself, “What would Matt Munson do?”

This thread is more than 4 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back