What's your most expensive prop purchase regret?

Probably my MR Falcon...

Don't get me wrong - I DO like the model. But licensed items that I have not put anything into just don't float my boat nearly as much as my own projects.

And $2,000 is a boatload of money for something that doesn't completely float my boat.

My first GB shell. From eBay. I've then discovered the whole world of selling parts for props... AND, at the same times, the word " recaster " and nearly lost 300$; After a Paypal dispute, I received the shell, but it was in plain resin, deformed and simply to be thrown to the trash bin.
A lesson learned in a hard, costly way.

As the French don't say: doublé post.

-Nick

Indeed, we don't say that. It would rather be : " Post doublé " or " double post ". You were quite close anyway. ;)

No regrets................just sell on.

Once I realised this I stopped hoarding & comparing & attaching a value - it's all goos fun!!

First, I always try to remember this is a hobby, not an investment. I pretty much figure I'll never make my money back on anything I've bought.

With that said, looking back, I've spent more money on certain replicas than I should have but I really did want most of these pieces and they are still in my collection.

I pretty much have the same take, except that sometimes I bought things when I should not have even though I really wanted them. I still have all of them in my collection, except for a few I have given to friends or family.

I never bought anything to re-sell it later for profit, even though now I'm beginning to think I might want to re-think that with most MR products going for 2, 3 or 4 times as much as they cost me when I bought them directly from MR. With that said, I will probably still have eveything when I die and my family will probably throw away all of the "JUNK".:lol

This has been a great read! I have learned a LOT and for that I am thankful to you guys. I mainly collect BTTF stuff (seen here) and don't regret any of it. I really want a pair of Mark Poon's Mags and a 2015 Pepsi bottle but keep talking myself out of it.

I'm more of a builder than a collector, so I haven't spent a lot of money on completed props.

Let me tell you though, the cash wasted on materials can still be awful. I must have $200 in electronics sitting around for outfits and devices that never worked out, and another $200 in tools I've never used. Once bought $100 in clay to sculpt with and then realized it was completely unusable. Anyone else make that mistake with air drying, sulfur-containing clay?

I can honestly say that I have NEVER lost money on any prop I've bought because I don't go out and buy a prop just because I "NEED" it.

The best rule to live by in the hobby is:

IF YOU WANT SOMETHING REALLY BAD, THE CHANCES ARE, IT WILL COME BACK AROUND AGAIN...USUALLY CHEAPER. HAVE PATIENCE.

it was that kinda thinking that made me miss both BOS runs:facepalm

$500 + international s/h for a Clonetrooper kit. Was crap, and then I wrecked it even more trying to resculpt it. I have upgraded several parts with parts from other makers, and other parts I have bought because I had messed up the first parts that I had got. On the same day that I had bought this kit a much better kit had been advertised on the same message board for a bit more ... but the cheaper kit has cost me more in the long run. After four years, a few unfinished clone armour parts are still on my prop table in need of repair.

if i dont count work time and materials, i never paid anything for any of my stuff. i either got stuff via the PIF-thread, trading in the junkyard or making it myself. and im pretty happy with that and gonna keep doing it that way ;)

I almost forgot...there was a Vulcan harp that I bought and paid WAY too much money for. It looked GREAT in the pics but when it arrived it was about 1/3 too small and made of what felt like balsa wood. I gave it away in the PIF thread and when the recipient received it he was upset when the post office tried to charge him a kings ransom in duty charges (it was sent to Malta). He asked if he could open it right there at the post office before he paid for it and he said it pretty much just crumbled in his hands! To make a very long story short, this inspired him to build a superior harp of his own in about a week just out of spite! He and I had a good laugh about this and for MONTHS this harp was sent back and forth ending up in postal limbo, playing "tag" with it every time they tried to deliver it to one of us. This fiasco ended up creating an on-line friendship between he and I and now I consider him to be one of my closest 'virtual' friends.
(Hi, Alan!)

:lol:lol:lol

Holy cow ! I so totally missed this post before :lol !

Yep, that pretty much sums up the origin of my Vulcan harp build & my friendship with Armando :)

That lemon made a lemonade, and added a tot of vodka too :thumbsup

I got had by the superman eBay costume imposter. A $250 emblem from a reeve suit. The color and aging looked right but when I got it it was so small, it wouldn't have fit Chris reeves chest. $250 is forgettable I guess. My friend paid $400 for some preorder master repl. Item that they never rolled out so the ownergave him a bunch of mini lightsabers instead.

My Dexter slide box. I got in really early on the run, and paid quickly and got it. The next week he made a more accurate run with an evidence bag and certificate of authenticity.

I actually regret selliing an item. I painted a pair of boots maroon and sold them for $300 as evil superman replicas. The kid loved them, the zipper was broke also. I hope he's not on this board....:/

I purchased a proton pack shell from videoBob on eBay, and then discovered the Feedback thread on GBfans.com. Shell was warped all to hell, full of bubbles and holes, way too thin in some areas and just flaked apart when I tried to repair it. It was a hard $300 lesson to learn.

This thread is more than 4 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back